so your moving to alaska.......

W

west

If you were moving to alaska and were going to by one rifle to cover all of your alaskan needs. What caliber would you go with?

"blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'donnell being fat."

.338 Win Mag would be the one, go-to, gun.
I've used it in Alaska and several States in the lower 48 with predictable results. Big Animal Down = BAD!
Caribou, elk, moose, bear, deer, coyote all with the .338 Win!

Yes, it is a BAD rifle!

Fast, efficient, recoil is mild enough, great bullet selection, readily available. What more could you want?

Zeke

338 winnie or a 375 either h&h or ruger. You would do just fine with a 300mag though. I guess it also depends what you plan on doing up there as well.

300 win mag. Do everything you ever want it to.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

.300 Win Mag with the proper handloads should take anything up there. Pick and choose the shots you take on the brown/grizzly bears and you should be fine.
WVBOWAK

.30-06 since I have one and it's not punishing to shoot and practice with. I have little interest in a gun I can't practice a lot with and still have a shoulder.

Workman Predator Calls Field Staff

300 winmag or 300wsm, if you don't like the punishment of the bigger guns, these would be fine.
If you are the napoleon type and can handle the kick without being scared get a anti-tank rifle.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Go to a few small stores and see which ammo is READILY available. I'd say 300 Win Mag & 338. I would not consider anything that is a specialty and HAS to be reloaded.

I had an instance in Colorado several years ago. Everyone had 308, 270 & 30-06. No one had my favorite 280.

My brother is moving up there. He currently has a 300 wsm but in a BAR. I myself don't like the idea of a semi auto in cold conditions with monster bears running around. I plan on buying him a rifle as a going away gift. Have thought about the 338 but was very curious to What the experienced used
. I've always done his reloading so he will now have to go factory. Thank you much for all the input

"blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'donnell being fat."

Get your brother a gift card to Sportsmans Warehouse in the approximate amount you were going to spend. They have a Sportsmans in Anchorage and one in Wasilla. That way he can get what he wants and if it costs a little extra for what he wants he can pony up the rest of the money. Where (town/city) is he moving to? If he needs the skinny on anything up there just shoot me a PM. I lived up there for 4 years and just left in June.
WVBOWAK

Thanks WV I will keep that in mind. I'm sure plenty of questions will arise

I think that 375 ruger alaskan would be just the ticket, with the 270 gr. hornady spire point. put a leupold vx-3 on it and your all set.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom