So, what are you folks up to

feddoc

Long Time Member
this weekend?

I've got over 120 trees here and the watering system needs a bit of love. I did some above ground PVC pipe (UV paint applied) for my 35 backyard trees last year as a test run for the rest of them. FRUIT...my apricot trees are crapping out fruit like crazy. So are the pear trees. Plums and apples will come a bit later.

Once the irrigation system is up and running, I'll turn things over to the boy, load up the 5th wheel and head to cooler climates where I can sip mai tais and talk bad about federal leaders.

Sitting in the rain watching my tomato seedlings turn purple because of the cold.

Apricots. About 1975 my wife and I drove to Modesto to visit some relatives. The apricots were all ripe but the canneries were on strike. The growers were giving away free apricots if you picked them. We spent a week picking and canning apricots. Best apricots I've ever eaten. I don't think they grow them that big or good anymore.

This weekend isn't any different than others for me. In fact, it's no different than every other day. I will continue to do nothing but eat, grow older & vegetate. :rolleyes:

pigeons.gif

You should write a book or something....oh, wait.
Hey, in reality I had planned to do just that -- write another book for many years now. It was going to be mystery fiction, tho, with a feisty Italian female game warden set here in AZ. If you've ever read any of C.J Box's Joe Pickett series, you'd know the genre. About 10 years back, I even had a ride-along scheduled with a gal ranger here where I would have spent the week on patrol with her. I got pneumonia the weekend prior and had to cancel, however.

BUT alas, like many things in my life lately I procrastinated too long. Of course, procrastination isn't totally bad because you have nothing to do right then and still have something to look forward to for tomorrow. In fact, I think I still have some procrastination to do that's leftover from yersterday.

tenorNU3NETGI.gif

I just got my wife a new Kindle (she loves it, so far). I see C.J. Box has some books on Kindle. Which book do you recommend for a start?
My wife has had one for several years and loves it too.

I've read all of his stuff, including the ones that aren't in the Pickett series. He's a pretty decent writer. Throughtout, I've picked up only two technical glitches in all the ones I've read.

Because of the characters that are introduced throughout, it's best to read them in order of puiblicaation. It appears they're all on Kindle, too.

This is the order of the Pickett series:

Open Season (2001) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Savage Run (2002) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Winterkill (2003) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Trophy Hunt (2004) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Out of Range (2005) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
In Plain Sight (2006) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Free Fire (2007) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Blood Trail (2008) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Below Zero (2009) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Nowhere to Run (2010) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Cold Wind (2011) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Force of Nature (2012) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Breaking Point (2013) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Stone Cold (2014) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Endangered (2015) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Off the Grid (2016) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Vicious Circle (2017) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
The Disappeared (2018) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Wolf Pack (2019) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Long Range (2020) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Dark Sky (2021) Hardcover Paperback Kindle

These are his other recent titles, which should also be read in order. They are murder mystery types. I can't recall which one it is, but he introduces a female named Cassie Dewell.

Back of Beyond (2011) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
The Highway (2013) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Badlands (2015) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Paradise Valley (2017) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
The Bitterroots (2019) Hardcover Paperback Kindle

I just got my wife a new Kindle (she loves it, so far).
There's another excellent series on Kindle that you might enjoy. It was written quite a while back -- from the 60s thru the 80s --by John MacDonald, and the main character is Travis McGee. He lives on a houseboat named the Busted Flush in a marina in Fla. & drives an old Rolls-Royce that's been converted into a pick-up truck. He's kind of a soldier of fortune type who solves problems for a fee. All of the books have a color in the title.

Here's the list in the right order to read them.

The Deep Blue Good-by (1964)

Nightmare in Pink (1964)

A Purple Place for Dying (1964)

The Quick Red Fox (1964)

A Deadly Shade of Gold (1965)

Bright Orange for the Shroud (1965)

Darker than Amber (1966)

One Fearful Yellow Eye (1966)

Pale Gray for Guilt (1968)

The Girl in the Plain Brown Wrapper (1968)

Dress Her in Indigo (1969)

The Long Lavender Look (1970)

A Tan and Sandy Silence (1971)

The Scarlet Ruse (1972)

The Turquoise Lament (1973)

The Dreadful Lemon Sky (1974)

The Empty Copper Sea (1978)

The Green Ripper (1979)

Free Fall in Crimson (1981)

Cinnamon Skin (1982)

The Lonely Silver Rain (1984)

Last edited:
My wife has had one for several years and loves it too.

I've read all of his stuff, including the ones that aren't in the Pickett series. He's a pretty decent writer. Throughtout, I've picked up only two technical glitches in all the ones I've read.

Because of the characters that are introduced throughout, it's best to read them in order of puiblicaation. It appears they're all on Kindle, too.

This is the order of the Pickett series:

Open Season (2001) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Savage Run (2002) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Winterkill (2003) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Trophy Hunt (2004) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Out of Range (2005) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
In Plain Sight (2006) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Free Fire (2007) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Blood Trail (2008) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Below Zero (2009) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Nowhere to Run (2010) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Cold Wind (2011) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Force of Nature (2012) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Breaking Point (2013) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Stone Cold (2014) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Endangered (2015) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Off the Grid (2016) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Vicious Circle (2017) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
The Disappeared (2018) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Wolf Pack (2019) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Long Range (2020) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Dark Sky (2021) Hardcover Paperback Kindle

These are his other recent titles, which should also be read in order. They are murder mystery types. I can't recall which one it is, but he introduces a female named Cassie Dewell.

Back of Beyond (2011) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
The Highway (2013) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Badlands (2015) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
Paradise Valley (2017) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
The Bitterroots (2019) Hardcover Paperback Kindle

I do one of the audio books and listen to all of CJ Box series on Joe Pickett. It is a pretty good series and CJ keeps Joe the same from start to finish but I felt like CJ started increasing a liberal leaning in the last few books and Dark Sky I felt he increased the leval of liberalism. I might be wrong just call me a little Liberal Shy.
But still a pretty good series.
The book series I have liked the best is Michael Connely series about a LA Detective Harry Bosch a couple of his books have been produced into movies The Lincoln Lawyer and Blood Works.
Outdoor Writer I believe you could do a pretty good book.

I do one of the audio books and listen to all of CJ Box series on Joe Pickett. It is a pretty good series and CJ keeps Joe the same from start to finish but I felt like CJ started increasing a liberal leaning in the last few books and Dark Sky I felt he increased the leval of liberalism. I might be wrong just call me a little Liberal Shy.
But still a pretty good series.
The book series I have liked the best is Michael Connely series about a LA Detective Harry Bosch a couple of his books have been produced into movies The Lincoln Lawyer and Blood Works.
Outdoor Writer I believe you could do a pretty good book.
I think he changed Pickett's attitude a bit to reflect the times, and of course there was a lot of female influence on his life. Heck, Nate even seemed to soften a bit.

There was one constant throughout every book that unnecessarily nagged at me, though, and that was Box's use of the word "clamped," when used to say the something like, "Joe clamped his hat on and..." He used it repeatedly in all his books.

There was one technical error with a firearm, but the most glaring one had to do with a poaching incident. Supposedly the guy killed a "trophy" 6x6 elk. I don't recall exactly, but he wrote it happened in late spring or early summer. Then to top it off, it was finished by a taxidermist in Sept., which was sort of a stretch, IMO. Overall, however, he did good research on the technical aspects.

BTW, I appreciate your confidence in my ability. :ROFLMAO: Heck, I've even rewritten the first chapter in my head several times. I think I had the technical skills to get it done; it was the energy I lacked. :rolleyes:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom