SO??? HOW'D THE 2024 SMOKEPOLE DEER HUNT GO FOR YOU ALL???

elkassassin

Long Time Member
I'll Have To Admit!

I Mistakenly Raised My REMINGTON 700ML SMOKEPOLE With The 1X Scope A Few Times To Take A Better Look & It Just Wasn't Like Looking Through My Newer REMINGTON UML!:D

We had A Perty Good Time & Seen Very Few Hunters & Very Few Decent Bucks!

Spent More time Glassing For Billy Goats Than Anything Else!

I Think I just Completed The First 2 Months Of Deer Hunting Season That Hossy Claims I'll Be Hunting 6 Months This Fall!:D

The Smoke From The Fire About Choked Us Out A Couple Of Days/Nights!

Just Curious How Others Hunts Went?

Hopefully You Were Hunting Where There Was More Deer Than Here Where We Hunted!

I'll Have To Admit!

I Mistakenly Raised My REMINGTON 700ML SMOKEPOLE With The 1X Scope A Few Times To Take A Better Look & It Just Wasn't Like Looking Through My Newer REMINGTON UML!:D

We had A Perty Good Time & Seen Very Few Hunters & Very Few Decent Bucks!

Spent More time Glassing For Billy Goats Than Anything Else!

I Think I just Completed The First 2 Months Of Deer Hunting Season That Hossy Claims I'll Be Hunting 6 Months This Fall!:D

The Smoke From The Fire About Choked Us Out A Couple Of Days/Nights!

Just Curious How Others Hunts Went?

Hopefully You Were Hunting Where There Was More Deer Than Here Where We Hunted!
I was hoping my tag said something about the scope needed to be removed or one power but instead I had some BS thing about baiting northern Utah is in bad shape for the report

This was a bad year for me! Not sure if it was the heat or just not able to go as hard because I had shoulder surgery at the end of August. I was surprised at how few deer I saw! This was the Wasatch west tag, which in my opinion they give out way too many tags. I guess there's a reason there's leftover tags after the draw for this unit~!

Mistakenly Raised My REMINGTON 700ML SMOKEPOLE With The 1X Scope A Few Times To Take A Better Look & It Just Wasn't Like Looking Through My Newer REMINGTON UML!:D
Did this a few times myself.

Had a ton of fun though, took my boy out on his first ever hunt and came home with a little buck.

I was never a long range hunter, so I don't think the scope will change much for me as far as success goes. But I do miss having a better sight and feeling more confident in my shot.

I wish I still had the 3x9 on vs the red dot. My son missed a mature 26"ish wide massy four point at 103 yards. It was probably more of a buck fever situation than the scope but the red dot definite covers more of the target than the cross hairs. Saw a lot less deer than we had scouted earlier on the archery. One 17-year-old buck virgin in our group shot a 2.5 year old 3 point. Gorgeous colors, good friends, and fine weather made for a fun hunt.

Well sure hope it cools off before my Muzzy hunt in the Monroe come NOV. Good thing is that I am excited to be back in the UT MNTS and just being there will be great. 9 days on piece an quiet glassing for deer and hopefully seeing some nice bulls for this old retiree cant be neat.

It was a tough year. Hot and dry. Not as many deer. I am fine with the changes to the muzzleloader regulations. Yep, I could have killed a bigger buck if I had a magnified scope but it was sure fun shooting my buck at 75 yards. My buddy killed his at 90 yards. Perfect muzzleloader shot distances. Have fun.

Heat did not help. We only had one day to hunt (opening day) for my youngest boy. We kicked up 3 big bucks walking out from sitting water at last light. He missed the biggest buck once he stopped moving at about 170 yards. Very tough shot with a red dot in lower light. Not sure I could have made the shot either - it was hard to even see the deer with the naked eye with a sagebrush background let alone through a 1x red dot scope.

The new regs definitely make it a tougher hunt and that buck definitely survived because of it, only to be blasted by some dude in a couple of weeks with a 300 win mag and a 22 power nightforce scope at 750 yards 🤦‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom