Snowcock Huntin

Wes

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Sep-09-04 AT 00:21AM (MST)[p]I got in late last night from guiding snowcock hunters. We saw 29 birds in 4 days of hunting but couldn't get any on the ground. These birds are the toughest trophy out there. It's tougher then mountain goat hunting.
This first photo is the start of the trip. I was originally going to ride the horse that's carrying the pack, but when I saddled him up and threw a leg over he bolted. While I was trying to find the stirrup with my right foot and gather the reins he commenced to buckin. The rodeo lasted about 3 or 4 bucks before I came unseated. I saw the ground commin but couldn't get outta the way in time. Fortunatly I only ended up with sore ribbs
100_0589.jpg

These next 2 are the type of terrain they inhabit at 10 to 11 thousand feet
100_0601.jpg

100_0599.jpg

This hunter told me afterwards that he was a little nervous climbing around in country like this. Go figure!
100_0634.jpg

Then end
100_0640.jpg

Wes

Great pics Wes, glad the little rodeo didnt turn into a big rodeo, thats a bad location to end up with a bumped punkin. I also had to do a Yahoo search on "Snowcocks" as I thought you were pulling our legs. But I retract, you were being serious.

snowcock.jpg

Are they good to eat?

Mike
at235.gif

Wes,
Glad to hear your no worse for the wear. Just another few days in God's country! How did your antelope hunt go?

Oakbuck

Howdy Oakbuck
I had a great time ridin around with a good friend chasin antelope. I screwed up the numbers on my application and instead of drawing 011 I drew 111, the land of the dinks. There were a lot of 13" to 14" bucks with skinny horns and small prongs. I ended up shooting this little guy. He's 13 1/2" with 6" bases and better prongs.
100_0549.jpg

Wes

Wes, Pretty buck. I killed my first antelope in 111 years ago. Looked like a twin to yours. He worked for me though. I was only 23 and newly married and had a ball.

I like the snowcock hunting pictures. Do you take very many people after them? I've known guys that hunted them but I don't think they ever killed any. Beautiful country. Do you have a lot of deer hunters this year?

Howdy Nv
Antelope huntin is a lot of fun. He may not be the big one but he'll be good eatin. They are a pretty animal, I skinned him out to do a full body mount. We usually take 4 or 5 people a year on a snowcock hunt. We only killed 2 last year. Those birds are the toughest critters on the mountain to kill. They live in the roughest cliffs at 10,000 feet and above. If they even think a scary thought the fly outta the country. We have 18 deer hunters this year. Also 1 goat hunter for the end of this month. We've seen some great goats so it will be a lot of fun. In December we have a desert sheep hunter
Wes

I don't think I have the huevos to hunt them snowcocks anymore. I did at one time but man I don't know. Looks like a lung burner to me.

Where's the desert sheep tag for?

LAST EDITED ON Sep-15-04 AT 10:46PM (MST)[p]Howdy Cous
It's like mountain goat hunting with a shotgun. These are the spookiest birds you'll ever hunt. They'll flush 100 yards out or more. They live in the roughest country at 10,000 feet and up. You have to sneek thru the cliffs and peek over the edge. Hopefully you'll see them before they see you. They are the toughest bird to kill there is. The limit is two a day, but you'll be lucky to kill one in a season. I still haven't killed one myself. This is the only huntable population in the world outside their native habit. They were imported from Pakistan in 1963 and released in the Ruby's.
Wes

Here's a little history about Nevada's snowcocks.

In this paper I review the history of snowcock introductions, discuss some of the costs and benefits of the introduction program, and describe the present distribution and status of snowcocks in Nevada.

History of snowcocks in America

The world?s five species of snowcocks were once found only in Central Asian mountain ranges including the Altais, Caspians, Caucasus, Pamirs, Karakoram, and Himalayas. In 1948 the United States Fish and Wildlife Service began a new program, Foreign Game Investigations, whose stated objective was to seek out "new adaptable species possessing a high hunting resistance?.so that ?habitats thoroughly changed by man?or never fully occupied by native game?[could be stocked, and thus] provide greater hunting opportunities." Between 1960 and 1970 the program was responsible for the release of at least 19 species of pheasants, partridges, quail, tinamou, and sandgrouse. Snowcock introductions were attempted in five mountain ranges in Nevada and on Mauna Kea on the Island of Hawaii. Ironically, snowcocks fell short of meeting the Federal Government's criteria of being adaptable, possessing high hunting resistance, and providing superior hunting opportunities. But, the Foreign Game Investigations Program became enamored with this "giant cousin" of the popular Chukar Partridge (Alecotris greca). In 1961, 6 Himalayan Snowcocks (Tetraogallus himalayensis) were trapped in Pakistan. Only a single bird survived the trip. 35 more were requested, of which 19 survived. These were released into the Ruby Mountains in April 1963, but disappeared soon thereafter. Nevada Department of Wildlife (NDW) then decided to establish a captive flock at their game in Nevada, from which offspring would be released over successive years. A total 107 wild snowcock were imported from Pakistan. Between 1963 and 1979, and 2,025 of their progeny were released in Nevada, 1,717 in the Ruby Mountains alone. Locally, these birds became as snow partridges, a name usually used for another Himalayan galliform, Lerwa lerwa.

During the 1970?s policy shifts brought an end to the introduction of full species of exotic game birds in the US, although subspecies continue to be introduced even today. In 1970, the Foreign Game Introduction Program was terminated. In 1977, restrictions were placed on use of Federal funds, personnel, or lands for introductions of exotics. In 1979, NDW discontinued the propagation and release of snowcocks.

Status and distribution of snowcocks

The present status and distribution of Nevada?s snowcocks are not known in any great detail. The first substantiated observation of reproduction in the wild was reported in 1977. In the 70?s and recent times search for the species was conducted on foot, horseback and included incidental observation during other research. 1n 1980 a snowcock hunting season was opened. As of 1985, they wild snowcock population was estimated to number between 250 and 500 individuals (Stiver 1985).

The distribution of snowcocks in the Ruby-East Humbolt Range is generally limited to ridges that support extensive alpine habitat. Only about 2% of the area in the Ruby East Humbolt range meet this criterion. The scarcity of deep glacial cirques, especially those associated with moist meadows and sheer walls, further limits the potential number of snowcocks in the range. The core of the snowcock population appears to reside in the Thomas Peak ?Ruby Dome area of the Ruby Mountains, although coveys are occasionally reported further north and south. Because of their isolation on an "alpine island," the birds are unlikely to spread on their own beyond the Ruby- East Humbolt Range.

Costs and benefits

Since the snowcock introduction is, nonetheless, considered a success, an overall evaluation is warranted. The Introduction Program may have been informative with regard to snowcock biology, but the results of the program, in our opinion, hardly reaffirm any wisdom in the introduction of exotic animals.

On the positive side snowcocks provide unique and unusual variety and opportunities to hunters, and bird watchers in mountaineers. The presence of snowcocks in Nevada will also generate notoriety and revenue for the States, local economies dependent on tourism and the wildlife agencies.

On the negative side, there is an official bill of $750,000 for the project ( Stiver 1985), which would probably approach $1 million if private funds and funds not allocated directly to the project were to be included. This sum was spent in an era when two native game birds were in serious need of "restoration" in Nevada. Utilization of snowcocks by hunters has been limited, since they are difficult to bag and hard to get to in the rocky canyons. Another potentially negative aspect of the snowcock introduction is the unknown impact the birds might have on their new environment and the diverse community of herbivores already inhabiting it. The alpine communities on which these herbivores congregate are unique and have are rich with plant species. Unfortunately, we can only speculate on the ecological impacts of snowcocks. The introduction went virtually unmonitored, and with no prior assessment of the snowcocks? potential for harm. The condition of the enviroment before, during, and after the establishment of snowcocks is largely unkown.

Conclusions

This paper chronicles the recent history of Himnalayan Snowcocks in America. The introduction of this bird has been a qualified success, but a close look at the program raises some questions about the wisdom of exotic introduction in an age when many native gallinaceous birds in rapid decline.

I'm not sure. Maybe Wes knows.

Interestingly I was working for NDOW as a college student when they released what I believe were the last of the snowcocks in the Rubies in 1979. I was at Gallagher hatchery at the Ruby Marshes and one evening some guys from the Mason Valley Management area where the birds were raised showed up returning from what they deemed as the end of Nevada's exotic bird establishment program. They had already released the birds or I might have been able to tag along. I can't even remember who was there but we had a chili and bass filet dinner. Wish I would have been able to go along just so I could say I saw it.

Nevada dabbled into several other "exotic" bird establishment attempts too. I can't remember the names of them all. Of course the most successful were the chukar and Hungarian partridge.

I saw one once in those thar mtns hunting with Wes' outfit--of course I was deer hunting--ya shoot 'em with a shotgun--not sure anyone answered that question above--

nice speed goat Wes---chris

Beautiful country and a top notch challenge it sure would be something to bag a snowcock. Thanks for the photos.

I have asked the "Snowcock" question on here for a few years. I have always wanted to put my "Bonus Point license" to use by hunting them. Great to hear more about them and how truely difficult they are to hunt. One of these days I won't draw in another state and I will go to Nevada in search of them. Thanks for posting the story.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom