Snow In The Bighorns

TOPGUN

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Jun-05-11 AT 08:44PM (MST)[p]
I just got an email from my buddy in Sheridan. Here are two photos just taken last week by WYDOT on US 14A where they still have days to go before the winter closure will be lifted. They had 5'-6' drifts that filled in a lengthy section of the road over the last two weeks as they were still getting the winter snow removed to open it for summer travel. They also have two huge sections to repair that had slides this winter that demolished sections of the road.
6966016.jpg

89691.jpg

That a fine snowbank, I can see where running the snowblow is a year around job up there.LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Any word on the snow level/winter impact around Worland ? I'm hoping to pull a speed goat tage for 77. Thanks guys.

plus on 14a they had a bunch of rock slides that is holding them up to. i take 14a every weekend during the summer to go home and back to work.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-11 AT 06:30PM (MST)[p]

Hey Michael B---Where is home?

I have friends in Worland and they never get enough snow at any one time between the mountains over past Worland in the Basin area to even worry about it harming the animals at those lower elevations. To the best of my knowledge it was no different this year. As you can see from the pictures in my post, the Bighorns themselves have been hammered and have continued to have a lot of snow all the way through the middle of May. My guess is that in a lot of north facing areas in the higher elevations the snow will not melt before it snows again next Fall. There is still 6' along Hwy 16 at the top on that southern route over the mountains too, so it isn't just one isolated spot that got hit bad.

The goats should be in fine shape for you if you draw that 77 tag, so have fun and shoot a good one! The results of the draw should be up in two weeks.

home is in powell. and i travel to sheridan and buffalo to work. i just went over highway 16 this last weekend the tensleep side is all green as is the buffalo side but on top there is still lots of snow.

I just love that last few miles in the canyon on 16 from about the fish hatchery down through all those beautiful homes with the stream going by their back door. I do believe I could live there in any one of them in a heartbeat if I had the $$$! I don't think they get much weather there either, as I've never seen snow until way further up into the canyon near the switchbacks.

gknutson---Good luck in the upcoming draw! Based on past odds it looks like you're going to need at least 4 PPs to have a good chance at drawing a tag in 77, so it must be a pretty good unit. Even the higher priced special draws needed several PPs or more to draw a tag in that unit last year.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom