Snot Trax Question

cantkillathing

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-10 AT 08:46AM (MST)[p]I meant snow trax not snot...
Does anyone on here have Snotrax for you fourwheeler or Rhino?
How do you like them, where did you get them, and do they do good in deep snow? Wondering if they are worth having to get around in the snow. Like to see if they are worth the investment.
Thanks,

I'll give you the bad first. First off they aren't a snowmobile. Top speed on packed snow trail is about 30mph on my 700 polaris. Top in powder is about 15. All total on quad weighs about 1,000lbs with boxes and crap, then add your weight. In deep snow with a thin crust it is all you can do to turn one unless you have power steering. They will suck the gas tank dry really fast when pushing through snow, so you need extra gas on board if you plan on covering some ground = more weight. Take a spare belt if your machine runs belts.

The good. The Polaris brand are made for any terrain. Sand, dirt, gravel, mud, snow....anything. They will go anywhere. Top speed is about 20% less of top tire speed...so they haul arss and don't suck nearly the gas as on snow. They cross rivers that aren't too deep and climb like a tank. They make your machine more stable and you have more clearance. If you like to hunt spring critters and fall, where trucks and quads can't get, then they are perfect. The only thing that will stop it in snow is when you start pushing snow. When you get it burried you better have a good winch 'cause it is like getting a small car stuck...

My buddy has a pair that are "snow only"...do NOT get those.

I consider mine 20% snowmobile, 60% quad, 20% tank.

Personally I love mine, but it's going to depend on how you want to use them. If you want to chat about them p.m. me and I'll give you my number.

8031compressedquadkill.jpg

That is my son.

HK

9365img_0249.jpg

5559img_0250.jpg

We have a Can-Am 800 with the Apache tracks on it. On this particular hunt we went from 5500 feet up the mountain through drifted snow to 9600 feet to hunt. We took the Honda because we couldn't haul all of us and our gear. I had to pull the Honda the last two miles up the mountain to get to the top. Once at the top we left it and went further with the Can-Am. We killed two elk and hooked them on the back with a tow rope and pulled them back to the highway in the deep snow.

I had to cut one of them in half because I couldn't get it to the trail or I would have just pulled them both out whole.

I like the machine better than a snowmobile because I can pull the tracks off and use it all year with wheels on it. I also don't have to hurt my back trying to lift a snowmobile out of a snow bank when someone sinks it. It is hard to turn if you aren't moving, but if you're going a little it's not too bad. Maybe a yamaha with power steering would be the answer for that problem.

It doesn't haul butt, but it goes faster than I need it too. It does suck a lot of fuel, but mine is a twin cylinder, so it does anyway. I put a winch on the front so I can get out of a hole if needed. It won't go in deep powder if it's an uphill drag. It will sink and spin. You can always back up and leave, but it won't go where a good snowmobile will go. In wet snow it will go about anywhere you dare ride it.

Hope this helps.
DeerBeDead

That a cool looking machine.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom