Snopes......

Snopes used to be a cool site (20-25 years ago)- focused on Urban Legends. It was fun to just read the various crazy stories that circulated around. But like all good things...

Snopes used to be a cool site (20-25 years ago)- focused on Urban Legends. It was fun to just read the various crazy stories that circulated around. But like all good things...
I still use Snopes a lot. The fact the guy plagiarized news articles without credit isn't too cool, and as a journalist, I find that despicable. BUT...it has little to do with the general premise of Snopes -- to ferret out whether something is false, true or some of both, IMO.

Snopes probably uses Google so you can take that for what it's worth.

I think it all started out trying to be factual but when they realized how much power they had they decided to tweak things. Now you just get what they want you to hear unless it's so obvious they have no choice but they're always trying to rewrite history.

Snopes probably uses Google so you can take that for what it's worth.

I think it all started out trying to be factual but when they realized how much power they had they decided to tweak things. Now you just get what they want you to hear unless it's so obvious they have no choice but they're always trying to rewrite history.
Sounds a lot like every news/media outlet on the planet, including the revered Fox News. ;)

Sounds a lot like every news/media outlet on the planet, including the revered Fox News. ;)
Sure enough- Fox leans right. NYT leans left. And on and on. And everybody knows it. The problem with Snopes, for me, is they purport to be a fact checking site. I suppose I am naïve, but I always hoped "fact checking" sites didn't lean one direction. If they do, their objectivity is highly questionable. Once Snopes decided to fact check right leaning satire (e.g. Babylon Bee), I was settled on not trusting them as fact checkers any longer. There is only one reason to do that, and it has nothing to do with checking facts. Just another media site with an agenda. Which is fine, if they are honest about it.

Sure enough- Fox leans right. NYT leans left. And on and on. And everybody knows it. The problem with Snopes, for me, is they purport to be a fact checking site. I suppose I am naïve, but I always hoped "fact checking" sites didn't lean one direction. If they do, their objectivity is highly questionable. Once Snopes decided to fact check right leaning satire (e.g. Babylon Bee), I was settled on not trusting them as fact checkers any longer. There is only one reason to do that, and it has nothing to do with checking facts. Just another media site with an agenda. Which is fine, if they are honest about it.
There are enough sources to cross reference most things. Trust but verify. Archie probably said it best...

archielump.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom