Sneaker waves

eelgrass

Long Time Member
A public service announcement.:)

So far this year we've had 3 or 4 tourists lose their lives here. A pretty normal year. They come here sight seeing and to see the ocean. This is not southern CA or Florida. A sneaker wave can come in at any time. Very dangerous coast line. If you come here to visit keep well back of the surf. She was kind of lucky. If you get pulled out, your chances diminish greatly.

Reminds me a whole lot of the time a bunch of old boys were setting out front of a gas station, watching a thunder storm pound the hill across the highway with lightning bolts.

The contractor that built the station installed the pumps in the low spot of the drive through, causing rain water to accumulate around the pumps, so I was wearing knee high rubber boot to keep from getting my feet soaked.

I was 16, the guys hanging around the station were all in their 30's and 40's.

A Dow Chemical car came in for fuel, I walked out and filled it and walk back to the station door, turned around, and a huge (as if there was any other kind) bolt of lightning hit in that pool of water, 3 or 4 feet in front of the Dow car, splitting the air with most most horrific sound you have ever heard, and spraying dirty rain water in ten guys faces.

Those old boys were all "head for shore" about as fast as that little gal was, after she decided she'd seen enough for the time being.

Funny what triggers old memories.

Good to know though eel. An old flatlander like me would certainly have been the one standing down there, all filled with pride at my courage and bravado.

Well.......maybe without the umbrella, at least not one that color!

DC

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom