Snake River Unit

brdhuntr

Hi guys, looking for any info on the Snake River unit for Rifle Elk. I'm burning my N.R.points,and am tired of playing the Oregon BEND OVER AND SMILE game! I am looking for any information on a reputable outfitter for this unit. I have been chasing the Mt Emily points,but that is not going to happen,so i will stick to other western states with better hunting and say ADDIOS to Oregon..

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-10 AT 09:52AM (MST)[p]Blue Mountain Adventures guides in this unit I think...great guys
muleyman

Bob is the man. If you want a DIY hunt send me a pm and I can tell you where to go. Saw over 200 in there last year. Nice looking bulls. You might want horses though.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-10 AT 02:46PM (MST)[p]Really tough steep country, so go in top shape and you'll have a better time. My understanding is Blue Mtn Adven is the man for NE OR, but not sure about this unit. Plus he might rub your feet for ya and if you get saddle sore well he might....just kidding. Definately get some horses involved if you can afford it. Good choice on unit and dumping OR.

HK

hopefully you also send a e-mail to ODF&W explaing your position. i think every non-res need to do this. so they dont think they made more money this year. i hope they realize that they are screwing themselves this time

Thanks for the compliments guy! Snake River is not in my guide territory. But Shawn Steen does run hunts in there and is the man for that unit. Last I talked to him, he is booked a year out...but not sure on drop camps. Good luck and make sure you post pics!

I play alot of phone tag with Shawn, but have talked with him. Leave your name and # he will call you, might not be the same day but he will call.

Ive packed into this unit many times and personally I think you dont need a guide. If you do a camping trip in there during the summer before you hunt, you can take a 4X4 all the way into the area's they would drop you into. They close those roads before archery season starts. A drop camp would be OK if you dont have stock. The only problem (during archery) is the Steens drop camps and guide ALL OVER the place. Two yrs ago we ran into over 6 drop camps while we were in there!

PM me for more info if you want...

muleyman

LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-10 AT 01:18PM (MST)[p]How many points do you have? It took seven points for me to draw.(non-resident) Shawn Steen peppers that area with drop camps. I have never seen so many hunters on opening day. There are elk in the snake but it is steep nasty country with very little flat ground. If you want a nice bull you will have to work your butt off to get it. The snake river unit is an awesome hunt.

I almost guarantee Shawn will be booked. You might also try Berry Cox with Del Sol Outfitters or Jon Wick with Outback Outfitter.

all those "drop camps" are always in the same area everrrrry year. Get away from that general area and you will find elk.

muleyman

I've been also thinking of hunting the snake this year but for archery. Every time I watch two weeks in purgatory I want to go. Has anyone done that hunt without horses just backpacking in? If I do it Im gonna go hiking in August to check it out for a few days.

Might want to also try Moss Springs Outfitter, they guide in the Eagle Cap but also offer hunts in the Snake River Unit. They do everything from renting pack animals to drop camps to fully guided hunts. I saw them at the Sportsman's Show this year and seemed like good guys but I dont have any personal experience using them so buyer beware, just offering a resource. They are out of Union, OR and have been around awhile.

www.mosssprings.com

LBR

>I've been also thinking of hunting
>the snake this year but
>for archery. Every time I
>watch two weeks in purgatory
>I want to go. Has
>anyone done that hunt without
>horses just backpacking in? If
>I do it Im gonna
>go hiking in August to
>check it out for a
>few days.

I was over on the idaho side looking across where those guys from 2 weeks in purgatory go up and over from the river. Steep is what came to mind they are 2 tough guys to climb out of that hole. Great looking country planty of elk you just have to be tougher than most to hunt it.

>Might want to also try Moss
>Springs Outfitter, they guide in
>the Eagle Cap but also
>offer hunts in the Snake
>River Unit. They do
>everything from renting pack animals
>to drop camps to fully
>guided hunts. I saw
>them at the Sportsman's Show
>this year and seemed like
>good guys but I dont
>have any personal experience using
>them so buyer beware, just
>offering a resource. They
>are out of Union, OR
>and have been around awhile.
>
>
>www.mosssprings.com
>
>LBR

I wouldn't advise it. They go back on their word!

WB

Back
Top Bottom