snake bite!!!!!!!

M

manny15

LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-09 AT 06:14PM (MST)[p]READ STORY FIRST
Story (please read before looking at pictures )

On July 21 , (this guy) was bitten by a Northern Pacific rattlesnake (the snake was originally identified as a Western Diamondback rattlesnake, but that species is not found near Yosemite ). I was located on a trail in a hiking area near Yosemite National Park , California . The bite occurred when I was sitting on a small boulder at a distance of 4.5 miles from the trailhead with my cabin group at camp. I had my arms dangling at my side, and a 5 foot long rattlesnake bit me in

the middle of my left palm. From this point, an amazing rescue took place, taking 4 hours to transport me the 4.5 miles to the trailhead. The camp director had previously called the hospital, and a helicopter was waiting at the trailhead. During the 30 minute helicopter ride I was going in and out of consciousness, having trouble keeping my eyes open. We arrived at the Modesto , CA hospital, where the doctor in the emergency room decided that my case was too severe to treat at that medical center. He told me this, which was the last thing I heard before going unconscious. Although I was unconscious for approximately the next 24 hours, I have heard about the following events from my parents. I was taken from the Modesto

Hospital to the UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento , the trauma center for Northern California . My snake bite was determined to be too severe for Modesto to deal with. At the UC Davis hospital I underwent a fasciotomy, which involved the doctors cutting open my arm from the palm up to about the middle of my biceps. This was to relieve the extreme pressure that had built up in my arm from the rattlesnake venom, making my arm as hard as a rock until the fasciotomy. I spent the next 35 days in the UC Davis hospital, had 8 surgeries performed for cleaning out the dead tissue from my arm, and finally had a skin graft from my leg to close up my arm, which had remained open for 30 days after the fasciotomy until the skin graft surgery. That is 10 surgeries in total at UC Davis . I was released from the! Hospital on August 24, had 4 months of intense physical therapy, and flew to Duke University Medical Center in North Carolina for a follow-up surgery. This was a vascular flap surgery, during which they took a chunk of skin and muscle from my back, attached its blood vessels to the ones in my arm using microsurgery, and then stitched it to my arm. Although 2 emergency surgeries were required within 24 hours on account of blood loss, the vascular flap was a success, and after 6 more months of physical therapy, my hand had a significant improvement in mobility from when I left UC Davis and could move each finger only 2-3 millimeters. My hand now has fully mobility and is about 80% as strong as it was before. I use it for about 90% of the things I used to. Fortunately, I am right handed. Thanks to my Dad, we have resumed our rock climbing after a 1 Year break. Some 20 months and $700,000 later including: 13 Surgeries, helicopter flights and hospital stays, (paid by my insurance of course), I am very happy with

the outcome. Wow, what an experience of good fortune--getting through all this without any more significant loss.

4a3c0f7978334a89.jpg

4a3c0fb279cd3ddb.jpg

ttp://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/User_files/4a3c0fc87a1f5d57.jpg
4a3c0fdd7a733ddb.jpg

4a3c0ff17acc7a6b.jpg

4a3c10047b02abb3.jpg

4a3c10197b400227.jpg

4a3c102c7b6d63a9.jpg

That looks like it must have hurt :)

Not funny really cause it could happen to most of us. Thanks for passing that story on Manny!

I've been around a lot of rattlers most my life and have had near a dozen or so strike at me. I've been VERY lucky. More than several times, the snakes struck without rattling first!

Joey

"i had no idea that it could do that much damage....."

Me either! I've been told that it's not that big a deal if you can get to doctor's care right away. This guy's bite must have been loaded with venom and the delay in getting him off the mountain didn't help. Isn't that unskinned arm shot gruesome? Ouch!!!

Wow...that is knarly! I had no idea that rattlesnake bites induce that much pressure in the tissue. Looks like his arm exploded! I'd say he's pretty lucky.

Steve

I have seen several rattlesnake bites on legs that have resulted in moderate to major muscle & tissue lost and almost death.
I do not bother snakes that are harmless, but I will kill every rattlesnake I come across.
I know there is others who disagrees with me on this, but you will never change my mind that we are better off with rattlesnakes dead. There is plenty of other non lethal snakes that can do the job on vermin control.

RELH

>I have seen several rattlesnake bites
>on legs that have resulted
>in moderate to major muscle
>& tissue lost and almost
>death.
> I do not
>bother snakes that are harmless,
>but I will kill every
>rattlesnake I come across.
> I
>know there is others who
>disagrees with me on this,
>but you will never change
>my mind that we are
>better off with rattlesnakes dead.
>There is plenty of other
>non lethal snakes that can
>do the job on vermin
>control.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>RELH

ditto......

Ditto #2

I try to kill every rattler I can. I sure wish we had more bull snakes around here. It seems like most every snake we see are rattlers.

Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

Those are some pretty extreme pictures right there. My coffee isn't nearly strong enough this morning for that. I disagree with the kill em all theory. I usually kill a couple every year, but I'll let a few slither away unharmed. Without predators or something dangerous in the woods, we would be walking around bumping into stuff without a care in the world. I don't like them, but I don't like my neighbors either.

I kill all the rattlers' I come across also....Something like this is bad enough when it happens to an adult but I sure as hell dont want it to happen to a child....

On a side note earlier this year my horse got bit on the nose and the year before that my bro's dog got bit also....Both of them recovered fast and without any problems....I guess there wasnt not much venom released.

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

The only Rattlers I hate are the ones that don't rattle. I've been bit twice. Both times the critter didn't rattle and by the grace of GOD none of them injected venom. From my knowledge of wildlife, it is my understanding that after a rattler eats it has no more potent venom for a while until it produces more.

I ALSO BUMP THOSE PUPPIES OFF WHEN I RUN INTO THEM.....GOT A 38 INCHER THURSDAY RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. I HAVE SEVERAL SPOTS WHERE THEY CAN BE HUNTED......AND ITS KINDA FUN. HERE IN KALI LEGGINS ARE A MUST FOR TURKEY, HOG & DEER HUNTING DOWN LOW......WE HAVE OUR SHARE OF RATTLERS..........YD.

>I kill all the rattlers' I
>come across also....Something like this
>is bad enough when it
>happens to an adult but
>I sure as hell dont
>want it to happen to
>a child....

Great... I'm just waiting for the 'chosen one' to get on here and ask us why we would kill them if they're not harming us...

Well it's cause if I don't kill this one, then the next person may be up chit creek.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-20-09 AT 11:15PM (MST)[p]After spending 2-3 days with a good friend and his family in the hospital with his 4 year old son who was bit by 2 rattlers at the same time and one was a baby, I have been on a mission to kill every freckin ratter I can. Neither snake made a sound, when they struck him. God spared the boy but it was touch and go for a while.

Hiker

Me and my buddy had a run in with one today to while p-dog hunting so i shot it. He had his foot above it right when it started to rattle. He's lucky it rattled when it did.

Rattlesnake.jpg

-Cody AKA BigBuck92

Cody, Great job! Now that is one good looking rattlesnake. ;) You guys wack any p-dogs?

Hiker

We got a few but most were really gun shy and didnt stay up long enough to shere we could get a shot.

-Cody AKA BigBuck92

Well I don't know how true the original story is or isn't, but here is the website (copywrighted) where the pics come from. You can read the story, judge for yourself and even e-mail the kid, though the website hasn't been updated in a couple of years, and this even actually (allegedly) happened in 2002, and the website has been up since 2004 - proving once again that Manny is indeed up to date with all the current e-mails!

http://www.rattlesnakebite.org/index.htm

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom