Smokin'

tailchasers

Long Time Member
With christmas right around the corner I am working on our dinner menu. Part of the holidays to me is cooking the meat and tossing back a few totties while enjoying the family. Was thing of something different and thought of throwing a prime rib in the smoker but wasn't sure how that would be. Was hoping someone here has tried this before and might have some ideas to share with the successes or failures with prime rib.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-11 AT 10:14AM (MST)[p]I got this recipe from a meat smoker here on MM. Won't say who it was.

Rib out of fridge for about 45 minutes.

I trim the rib...I hate fat on food.

Mix your spices/rub( I use garlic pepper, oregano, rosemary and Lawry's seasoned salt or sea salt) and do the rub thing.

Get yer' smoker ready for a 5 hour smoke at about 220 - 230 degree heat setting. I soak some apple chips in a whiskey barrel for about 30 minutes, sometimes overnight if I forget. It doesn't change a thing.

Smoker to temp with charcoal. Then rib on rack.

....keep the temp up.... and don't open the smoker until it's done. If you have to add chips, just crack the firebox.

When it's done, pull it out of the smoker and let it rest for about 10 minutes. Veggies can be heated on the stove or in what's left of the heat in the smoker.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

Over cooked Prime Rib is just roast beef. How do you monitor Internal temp? Sounds worth trying (smoker) Thanks

I did mine by experimenting with a temperature probe, then comparing it to the thermometer on the smoker and drawing some guesstimates when I get a bigger (needs to be a bit hotter) or smaller (needs to be a bit cooler) chunk of meat.

Another thing I like to do is to get my charcoal going in the smoke chamber, not the fire pot, and toss some wook chips on top, then put the meat on the upper rack. Hard to tell the difference.

I've even done some lobster and shrimp on top of some mesquite wood that turned out really nice.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

...anyone that would intentionally ruin a prime rib by smoking it should be shot on site....

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

>...anyone that would intentionally ruin a
>prime rib by smoking it
>should be shot on site....
>
>
>
>
>JB
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

At least be decent and give me a smoke and blind fold.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom