Sleeping Bags Systems

2lumpy

Long Time Member
After a week of springing camping I've come to the conclusion that it's time for a new sleeping bag and ground pad system.

I'm a big, old, fat, guy, 320 pounds, 5'10". 67 this year.

I sleep out in some fairly cool temps. I'm looking for warmth at -20, not to just survive, I'd like to be comfortable at -20.

I'm generally in the open with out a tent. A breathable water resistant bag covering would be ideal. I've slept under tarps but the condensation build up under a trap is a mess.

One of the things I like about a slick internal lining is the ease of rolling inside the bag but I hate the cool spots that slick internal linings have in cold weather. On the other hand, a "felt/cotton" lining is a beast if you need to thrash and I thrash. Has anyone found a solution to this issue in a bag design?

As big as I am, I've never cared for mummy shaped bags but I've been told the new ones are larger and not as confining to us fat guys. Any suggestion on the style of bag?

My new bag will not be used in warmer temperatures, only spring and fall. It will never need to be cared in a back pack, only my pick-up or an ATV.

Secondly. I own two or three foam pads and when using my truck they work great but i'd like to purchase a high quality air mattress for those times when I'm camping away from the truck. Every "standard" air mattress I've ever owned goes flat halfway through the night. In my younger days I didn't care because once I was asleep I'd stay asleep until morning. Not so any more, I'm up 2 or 3 times a night and a flat air mattress is no different than sleeping on the rocks. Does any one know of a 3" plus thick, high-grade air mattress, designed and built to hold air reliably?

I sleep away from my truck enough that the cost is not as important as the comfort, so what ever it takes, I'll find the money.

Would any of you folks have any recommendations, regarding a sleeping bag system and/or an air mattress system that might serve my needs.

I appreciate your assistance.

DC

Hey 2lump,
That is a complex situation you are trying to solve.
Ground pat is KEY. You have to have one that does not compress your bag, or one that has a good R value.
The best bet is for us to talk some time.
There are many options for you.

I would be happy to chat some time.
Email me and lets figure out a time.

mike
[email protected]

Like others have said:
The pad is important so get a good one. You'll lose most of your warmth through the ground. A good pad keeps you off of the moist ground or floor of your tent. It's also needed for comfort (at our age).

Condensation? It's always a HUGE problem. It's even a bigger problem when you're in a confined space. I've used a bivy sac that is waterproof yet breathable and I can tell you that when the weather is cold it will NOT vent the moisture. It just condenses on the inside of the bivy and makes everything wet... like rain. The only solution is a properly vented tent or a tarp which is open enough to vent.

I like the slick bags for the same reason you do. I like the feel of flannel but the down-side is they are a bear to move in.

You can mitigate some cold-spot issues my wearing thermals and socks to bed. It makes getting up to pee in the night more pleasant also if you're dressed like that while in your bag.

I've always had great luck with a bag system. My bag system actually has 2 bags and they can be used together or seperately.

Good luck in your quest. My bed at home is still the best but it's hard to hunt from home all the time!

Zeke

Thanks for the feed back gentlemen. Good suggestions, all.

bowhunt: I'll drop you an e-mail, thanks for your offer to help.

9545picture_59.jpg

In the mean time, has anyone used this bag or one like it? It is the largest -20 rectangular bag I've been able to locate on the internet, it gets pretty positive reviews but for the zipper in liner. (I can imagine strangling a testicle or two with that but seems easily removed, the liner I mean.)

It's got the pesky felt/cotton lining inside but I like Zeke's suggestion regarding wearing a pair of thermals and socks, with one alteration that might solve the rolling around issue in the felt/cotton lining bags. Has anyone tried the "silky" type long johns? Would "slick finish" thermals counter the felt/cotton lining problem?

And your right Zeke, peeing in comfort would be a "most unusual" nightly adventure!

whitwell_56 ,
Adding is actually not a bad idea. I'm currently using a 20 year old -20 Slumberjack that I really like but either it's lost it's insulating capabilities or I'm just getting older and more sensitive to the cold. Maybe my restricted bladder flow is just waking me up more often and I just notice the cold more, now that I sleep lighter than in my youth. At any rate, do you know of any kind of bag inner insert that would not wad up and strangle me while I'm thrashing around inside the bag?

sjhgraysage,
I was pretty sure I wanted to give the Big Anges airpads a try until I read the reviews, it seems almost half the reviews claimed the pad developed difficult to repair leaks after about 20 nights on the ground. Have you put the Big Anges pads through a season or two of use?

grosventrehunter,
Thanks for the suggestion on the klymit pads. Interesting concept. I read a number of reviews on all their inflatable pads, not as many complaints about leaks but still a few said they went flat or that they where not thick enough. However, some reviews were very positive. Have you used one of their inflatables? Could you share some experience with them?

I've been looking at some different pads this afternoon. Has anyone seen or used any of the ALPS Mountaineering inflatable pad products? Where as I'm not intending to backpack any part of this stuff, this might work, if it holds air reliable.

4931picture_60.jpg

Thanks again everybody.
DC

I'm not sure if one of the liners would bunch up. I am using this liner in a mummy bag, but I left it down below my shoulders. Had it in a 15 degree bag in single digit temps and was warm.

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/90

I do toss and roll while I sleep and never noticed it.

I used to have a synthetic silk liner from Academy that I used. didn't add any warmth that I know of, but it was sure nice to sleep in. It was similar to this one.

http://m.academy.com/shop/Product_1...rk+Red&N=10001&Ntt=sleeping+bag+liner&Ntk=All

If you want a truly -20 bag you are going to have to go Goose Down and have a bag with a good hood design. For my really cold weather I have a Marmot Col -20 bag. I get cold easily and this bag keeps me toasty in and conditions I plan on being out it. The other good option is a bag fro Western mountaineering. I have one of there mid weight down bags and it is of top quality. Both are very pricey but worth every dollar as far as I'm concerned. My Marmot is 8 years ols and looks new,

I have never liked wearing long johns to bed. Maybe it is just me, but it turns my leg hair the wrong way and after a few days becomes uncomfortable.

As far a what to sleep on, I think your weight will be a problem for most conventional pads. How about this:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...uty+army+cot&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

with one or two of these:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...uty+army+cot&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

You could use the pad on the ground if you have a tarp, etc, but it is easier to get up in the middle of the night from a cot than from the ground.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Apr-28-14 AT 07:14PM (MST)[p]2lumpy, I first bought the inertia x frame but now use the inertia xl. Using a down bag the cut outs allow the bag to retain its loft, unlike conventional pads that compress flat when laid on. I havent had an issue with the pads losing air, but I'm also about 120 lbs lighter than you:).

Camofire has been selling the klymit pads on a regular basis if you go that route.

Again, thanks everybody, very helpful information. Thanks for the phone call bowhunter, I very much appreciate your suggestions.

whitwell_56,
If I can't come up with a bag I can roll somewhat comfortably in, I'm going to try that Magellan Outdoors? Rectangular Synthetic Silk Sleeping Bag Liner. Thanks for the suggestion.

tracker12,
I'm certain your absolutely right. If Marmot or Western Mountaineering had a rectangular bag, I'd jump on one because I believe goose down is the ultimate answer but I just can't do the tapered bag. Tried it more than once over the years and as fat as I am it just doesn't work and, I can't sleep on my back. Side sleeping and mummy bags just don't work for me. However, I found a down comforter at the Western Mountaineering site and if I can't get the warmth out of a rectangular bag, I'm may try to incorporate Western's comforter with another bag, for extra low temperatures conditions. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

txhunter58,
You just suggested half of my current outdoor bedroom. I own a "TETON Sports Outfitter XXL" canvas cot, very much like the one you suggested, love it. I use it with a canvas covered foam pad similar to the ones you suggested, but the one you suggested is better because mine is too heavy/thick to roll up. It works fine for pick-up truck camps but I need something that rolls up for ATV camps too, away from the truck. And your right on when you say a cot is easier to get in and out of, especially for fat old guys like me. Much easier.

However, as I've experienced the chills with my present set up I've been wondering if sleeping on the cot, with cold air above as well as below the bed, has been part of my problem. Sleeping on the ground seems like it should be warmer but I sure hate to give up that cot any more often than I have to. What's your opinion about cold air under a cot, with a good foam pad on top of the cot?

grosventrehunter,
I may try one of the klymit pads, per your suggestion. Being able to reduce the size of your gear is important, whether your back-packing or otherwise. If I can solve my ground pad issue with something that reduces to a really small package it simply leaves more room for other things I'd like to have with me, even if I'm camping with an ATV.

Folks this is what I appreciate here at MM, real world outdoorsman and women sharing outdoor solutions with like minded sportsmen. Where else can you find these kinds of candid answers to your questions.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions, really do.

DC

DC

I have the sleeping bag you posted from Cabela's. I am in your same situation as far rolling, I can not rollover in the flannel without twisting up the bag. With that said this is the best bag I have found for ample room and minimal twisting or bunching. I am not ready to admit I am fat quite yet but I am certainly robust 5'10" and 285.

I slept in a bedroll for years. So I modified that concept to my current situation. I have a bedroll canvas that I always use, then depending on my trip I add to or take away for conditions I expect on the trip. My bedroll is designed so that I can put my pad in it which helps keep me on the pad. Often I have my magnum sleeping bag in the bedroll but do not climb in but simply sleep on top with a nice sheet covered by a wool blanket. If I need the bag I have it. As far as condensation my solution has been to build a lean to with a tarp rather than sleep wrapped in it if I think I need protection from moisture.

If you find an inflatable pad let me know,I have failed in this area and resorted to a 3" thick piece of foam or 2 layers of horse blankets if I am packed in.

Maybe look into the Browning bags at http://www.browningcamping.com/browning/products/bags.
I saw one in the store and it looked wide! They are not for backpacking but perfect for your described scenarios. I know you don??t like the mummy style but the Kenai is 40 inches wide! The mckinley is 36 wide and rectangular.
At 6'6" 270, I never have room to move so my old mummy bag doesn??t get zipped up unless it is mega cold. I unzip it, stick my feet in the bottom pouch, and use it like a blanket and tuck it under my sides and shoulders. When it is time to roll around and change positions there are no restrictions. It automatically comes untucked so when I??m in the new position, a simple rock to both sides tucks it back in again. I use a foam pad for car camping and on old (1990s) ThermaRest for backpacking. Both provide ample insulation from the ground.
Someday I will find a good backpacking mummy bag that is big enough to move in. Ha ha :)

Maybe you need one of these sleeping bag suits. http://www.selkbagusa.com/

2Lumpy
This is my recommendation.
1585abearbed.jpg

If you pack a chain saw with you . You can just bust one out on the mountain. I think that this is the only way you are going to be comfoftable. ;-)

LAST EDITED ON Apr-30-14 AT 11:55AM (MST)[p]BIGJ, If you'll set that den up for me, I'm your huckleberry, I have no aversion to sleep'en with the bears. That's a pretty cool set of bed posts right there. Never had much interest in the natural pine beds but that one could go in my little mountain retreat, without a second thought.

mulepacker,
Thanks for the suggestions. I've done the saddle blank pad business myself, in another life, many moons ago. It's a scratchy, smelly way to hunker down but better than the rocks and mud, for sure. The lean to system is good too. Thanks again for the suggestions, if I can find a 44" in bag like that Cabela's -20 Magnum think I'm going to give it a go. I'd like to try to find down filled but so far only been able to find them in 39/40".......not quit wide enough! I'm going to keep looking. Starting to wonder if any body makes "Custom" down bags?

heartshot,
I'm going to keep looking. I have the time and the motivation. No need to rush, I've got all summer now to put together a "big boy", "low temperature", "night peeing" "old man", "ATV hauling", mountain bedroom. When I get it put together I'll let you know what I've come up with.

Thanks again gentlemen. Keep the info and the experiences coming in. Maybe we can get this puzzle put together before hard nights hit again. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only old fatty with a shrinking bladder that's looking for a better nights rest, on the north side of the plateau.

DC

might want to check out the Big Agnes "park" series. See if that fits the bill.

They are cut a good bit wider than normal. Maybe the Elk Park model in "long" might do the trick.

The big agnes pads are sweet. Everyone I've convinced to go with Big Agnes has been pretty happy.

bobby7321,
I will put a tape on one next time I'm in at a shop that carries them. Thank you.

DC

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom