Sleeper States

tailchasers

Long Time Member
Had some windshield time the other day and got thinking about sleeper states that tend to get over looked for big game by most sportsmen and hardly ever seen in the hunting world spot lights. South Dakota jumped out at me first because they have whities, muley's, elk, big horn, antelope, bison, and I am sure I have missed something else. Then take into count the bird hunting and fishing too. When I checked out the state G&F website they have a good system with ample hunter opportunity and decent prices. I have numerous family and friends living there and have seen first hand some of the deer they take and it's crazy! No lack of critters there.

I think Nebraska has HUGE potential but the state really doesn't seem to recognize the potential their state has. I really wish they would step it up some and create another opportunity.

Any other states you think can fit into this category?

Al

No offense here, but if it is a "Sleeper" hunting area, do you want to tell a thousand or more (don't know how many guys follow this forum-just a guess) avid hunters about it?

And if you do, will it be a "sleeper" anymore?

Just askin'?

Actually did weigh this in but not to concerned about it. I have no intentions of hunting but a few states that are already high on the radar. Just mentioning a state not the specific areas within the state.

SD had a very harsh winter kill on deer and antelope the last 2 winters. Antelope populations off 80% over a few years back in some areas. North Dakota cancelled their antelope hunts all together last year, will probably do so again this year.

As far as deer...lots of good deer on private ground.

Nebraska deer tags are $571 - ouch.

Sleeper state that comes to mind and is overlooked is Rhode Island.....lots there to hunt.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

I checked into Rhode Island. Affordable place to hunt. Didn't find much written anywhere about the hunting though.

I checked out Maine for there moose and I ain't to sure if they couldn't complete with some of the canadian provincess. They have an awesome system in place for them big critters.

Utah, just look at the opportunity to hunt special units every 15 years.

I think Florida is a sleeper for moose...
I am currently starting an application assistance business for applying there. With my help I can promise 100% for only $49.99 per application.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

>I checked into Rhode Island. Affordable
>place to hunt. Didn't find
>much written anywhere about the
>hunting though.
>
>I checked out Maine for there
>moose and I ain't to
>sure if they couldn't complete
>with some of the canadian
>provincess. They have an awesome
>system in place for them
>big critters.

I think the whole Rhode Island thing was a joke bud.. hahahah

>Utah, just look at the opportunity
>to hunt special units every
>15 years.

OK, I got it now. The biggest sleeper state would be the most years you can sleep between getting a tag.

Lol, Brian....Thanks for that hot tip.. I'l be hunting Rhode Island this year.. Hopefully..I was gonna mention Louisiana!!

Feel like I need a pic of jack ass to put in here but I had no clue if Kilo knew something I didn't then when I looked at the RI G&F website they had their fees listed with deer less than $100. Oh well.

AL...sorry for the joke...just trying to livin up this post. These days there is not if any "sleeper states" left.

Welcome to MM and don't let it get to you...have a good time.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

You forgot turkeys, prairie dogs, predators and if you are a resident mountain lions. Affordable tags and plenty of public land and plenty of honey holes for the trophy hunter.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom