Skull type???

hunter

I found this skull this weekend in central utah when out camping.We first thought it was a bear or couger? but after looking at some pictures on google I'm not so sure.Can any one tell what it is? It is about 10" long and 5 3/4" wide.

9212015.jpg

361016.jpg

1723017.jpg

219018.jpg

2986021.jpg

Its a canine of some sorts, Im guessing a great piranyes, sheep dog.

Skull Designs: Quality European Mounts at affordable prices

looks doggish to me....most of them I find have a third eye socket between other two..

I like head :). I've got a collection of dozens of different skulls. Top one is a wolf, bottom was in a bear. It's a canine of some sort. Someone probably shot Fido as it was hot on the heels of a deer
Skulls.jpg

Nice little piggy, You never know, the big bad wolf might of got it

Thanks for the input, I'll try to get it to the fish and game to see if they can tell.

Knophish, you were right, I slept on the couch when my wife saw the pictures? go figure!!

Saber tooth crotch cricket... They have been known to roll off of 17" saddles once they cool down...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I took it to the fish and game today and the first guy that looked at it was not sure, but though it could be a wolf or a black bear? The next guy that came down to look at it said it was a black bear! ????

I say black bear

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

The cranial ridge in the next to last photo is much more distinct than either of the 3 black bear skulls I have (2 males 1 female). Also the snout area is much more swooped inward then my skulls.

I'm gonna say your owner had more of a snout than the blackies I've seen.

I'm no expert and photos can be decieving.

Bill

It was very unusual when I took it to the fish and game, the first guy was interested in trying to find out what kind of skull it was,and pulled up a couple picture to compare it with, but he was unsure and called the other guy to come down.As I was waiting I asked the first guy if there were any wolfs in Utah or if it was only rumors? And he confirmed there were wolf's in the Srtawberry valley, and the spot I found this skull lookes over Strawberry??
When the second guy came down and looked at the skull, He looked at the skull for about three seconds and said Its a black bear, and said nothing more and just gave his coworker and strange look, witch I though was a litte weird. Maybe he knew what is was so it didnt take him long to tell?? When I compare the skull to pictures on google it lookes alot more like a wolf or a dog than a bear?

That is in NO way a bear skull, it is a canine of some sort, either wolf or someones sheep dog. The f&g guy either is a idiot or doesn't want to let the cat out of the bag that there are wolves in Utah. I deal with skulls all day, everyday, no way its a bear

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom