Sign of sex no longer attached

B

bucklover

My hunting buddy was passing through the check station that is always set up in Kemerrer. He asked the wardens there what their recommendation is for keeping sign of sex on animals if you are boning them out for packing. He was told by the wardens that that has been one of the stupidest laws that they had to enforce and that they had finally changed it. According to them all you have to do now is put sign of sex in a baggie and pack it out with you. YOU NO LONGER NEED TO KEEP IT ATTACHED TO THE MEAT! Now, I know what you're going to say,"That's not what it says in the proclamation." I'm planning on calling the main office sometime this week to check with them but if this is a statewide change, it will sure make things easier do deal with this ongoing problem.

Straight from the G&F's website.

You need to leave evidence of a big game animals gender if the license type or regulation for the area requires the taking of a specific sex of animal. This evidence requirement can be satisfied if the head remains attached to the carcass - but an attached head adds a lot to the weight and makes the carcass more awkward to pack out. It is easiest to leave the visible external sex organs, or part of the udder for females, attached to a hindquarter or a large portion of meat. If you're boning out the carcass, you can still leave a portion of the hide with the sex organs naturally attached to a large or roast-sized portion of meat. The portion of meat with sex organs attached can be placed in a plastic bag to keep hair off the other boned meat. It does not suffice to just have the head or sex organs with you. One or the other must be left attached to the carcass as a whole or an edible portion of meat.

Yes I know all that. I'm just letting you know what came out of a warden's mouth. It will be interesting if "he" the warden, is speaking of something that is a local decision, or if the state has made or is making a change in the law.

There has been no change in the law. Unless the guy is going to come testify for you to get leniency out of a judge after they ticket you at some other check station it doesn't matter. And even though you might know the info I posted, others might not and think its ok to detach organs cause they saw some guys post where a warden said something...

Play it safe. Leave it attached. I believe their intent is to keep someone from bagging a toad ten miles back in and then bagging a doe off the road and stating that is the meat from the buck. Testicles in a baggy means nothing. But thanks for the info. Let us know what the main office says!!!

>Straight from the G&F's website.
>
>You need to leave evidence of
>a big game animals gender
>if the license type or
>regulation for the area requires
>the taking of a specific
>sex of animal. This evidence
>requirement can be satisfied if
>the head remains attached to
>the carcass - but an
>attached head adds a lot
>to the weight and makes
>the carcass more awkward to
>pack out. It is easiest
>to leave the visible external
>sex organs, or part of
>the udder for females, attached
>to a hindquarter or a
>large portion of meat. If
>you're boning out the carcass,
>you can still leave a
>portion of the hide with
>the sex organs naturally attached
>to a large or roast-sized
>portion of meat. The portion
>of meat with sex organs
>attached can be placed in
>a plastic bag to keep
>hair off the other boned
>meat. It does not suffice
>to just have the head
>or sex organs with you.
>One or the other must
>be left attached to the
>carcass as a whole or
>an edible portion of meat.
>

Exactly. So leave the udder or testes/penis attached to a "roast" the size of a golf ball and throw it in a separate bag. Easy peasy.

It's a stupid law but easy to follow.

I talked to the Office and they said it was changed three years ago to be that it needed to be with but not attached. Here is a copy of the rule.

Section 6. Retention of Evidence to Identify Sex, Species and Horn or Antler Development of Big Game Animal Harvested. Any person who takes any big game animal in a hunt area where the taking of either sex, species, or antler or horn development is controlled or prohibited by regulation shall comply with this section while said animal is in transportation from the site of the kill to the residence of the person taking the animal, or delivered to a processor for processing.
(a) In hunt areas where the taking of any big game animal is restricted to antler point or horn size by regulation, the antlers or horns shall accompany the animal as a whole, or edible portion thereof.
(b) In hunt areas where the taking of any big game animal is restricted to a specific sex of animal by regulation, either the visible external sex organs, head or antlers shall accompany the animal as a whole, or edible portion thereof.
(c) In hunt areas where the taking of a species of deer is controlled or prohibited by regulation, either the head or the tail of the deer shall accompany the animal, or edible portion thereof as evidence of the species taken.

DZ

That is 100% true. I would love to shoot a big bull elk and eat the meat from a cow elk, so it kind of makes sense.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-10-11 AT 09:29PM (MST)[p]Okay it's me "Bucklover" again. I just had our local Game Warden over to my home to fill out an Interstate game tag for me. I specifically asked him this question: Does sign of sex need to be attached. He pulled out the regs and read them to me himself. He said the law had been changed a few years ago and you DO NOT HAVE TO LEAVE SIGN OF SEX ATTACHED. It states exactly as is posted above. Sign of sex must accompany edible portions. You do need to bring it out with the critter. He said just put it in a baggie and bring it with you. Read it carefully for yourself. It no longer says sign of sex must be attached to edible portions.

>LAST EDITED ON Oct-10-11
>AT 09:29?PM (MST)

>
>Okay it's me "Bucklover" again.
>I just had our local
>Game Warden over to my
>home to fill out an
>Interstate game tag for me.
>I specifically asked him this
>question: Does sign of sex
>need to be attached. He
>pulled out the regs and
>read them to me himself.
>He said the law had
>been changed a few years
>ago and you DO NOT
>HAVE TO LEAVE SIGN OF
>SEX ATTACHED. It states exactly
>as is posted above. Sign
>of sex must accompany edible
>portions. You do need to
>bring it out with the
>critter. He said just put
>it in a baggie and
>bring it with you. Read
>it carefully for yourself. It
>no longer says sign of
>sex must be attached to
>edible portions.

It was probably changed because it is so easy to do DNA testing now. If they question you at all, they can just take a sample of your "sign of sex" and the meat you have and it better match or you're in trouble..........

We checked in 5 antelope does last weekend and each one was skinned and quartered and the tenderloins cut out. We cut the "#####" off of the hide and put them in a zip lock bag with the carcass tag but separate from the meat. The WOs checked to make sure we had the correct amount of meat (two hind quarters, two front quarters, etc.) for each tag. They said we had done everything properly and even complimented us on our preparation. We've done it this way the last two years and everything was fine.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom