Sighting in Spots?

IdahoSmitty

Anyone know any good spots to sight in your gun for free? I know that there is the blacks creek rifle range but I was wondering if there are any other good spots that I could shoot out to 300 yards and not get bothered by anyone or have to pay a fee. Thanks guys....Smitty

I use Black's Creek. The new benches they have are well worth the fee. For long range work I'll use the desert. But, it is getting crowded and the amount of garbage shooters leave out there is shameful. Weekdays are always better.

Yep I hear ya. It is hard to believe that someone would take the time to load up a dishwasher, oven, microwave, propane bottles, etc. just go and shoot it and then leave it there. Pre 64, do you have any spots in the dessert that are good? I was just wanting to go out and throw up a target and take a few shots to see if the gun is on. I still might go out to the rifle range. Who knows.......Thanks for the info. Smitty

South on pleasant valley to the OK to shoot area. Just look for the garbage. You've got to be careful when shooting 300 yards plus cause some idiot will drive his truck between you and your target and set up.

There are actually alot of good spots out in the desert, my new spot is good for 1000 yards. Will be out there on Friday as I changed scope mounts and have to re-sight in my gun. Out where I shoot I very very seldom I ever see another person, I do see rattlesnakes thou. The biggest problem out there in the desert is the wind. Thats why many times I am out there at the break of day light. You do have to be careful in where you go out there as the military has some areas that they tend to get a bit nervous if you get within a mile of their compound. I have heard blacks creek range has gotten alittle more harsh on their rules. I have never shot there so I don't know for sure. But why pay when you can shoot for free. Just pack out what you brought in and maybe some extra if you find it.

If you go to the desert very early in the morning while it is still cool there is usually nobody out there and your rifle cools off faster, win win.

Thanks for the info. I am heading out in the morning to shoot a few different bullets. I'll go early! Thanks guys...Smitty

Pre 64, I went out pleasant Valley and shot a few differnt bullets. I can see exactly what you mean about someone setting up in between you and your 300 yard target. That place out there is a DUMP! I could not believe all the crap people leave out there. I did not go back on the main road very far but as soon as it was ok to shoot I took a few differnent roads to find a decent spot. Some setups that I looked at would allow me to shoot 300 yards but I would have to shoot across a road. But in the end it worked. And yes I packed out all my crap. If you want to know where I went, I took a right at the dead cow, I followed that road for about a mile just past the burned box spring mattress. I then took another right passed a garbage/shotgun shell hill and settled at another hill of trash that had old vhs tape (the guts) all over the ground like christmas tinsle. I shot right around in there!

Anyways, thanks guys for helping a fellow MM'er out, Smitty

Smitty you need to go farther out to get away from the people and the garbage. Heck where I shoot I never see anyone and I can shoot out to 1000 yards.

I'll go out farther next time and give it try. I just went out for a quikie. How far does that road go out? I have heard there is a lot of good varmit shooting out there, Is that true? I did see a couple of whistle pigs out there. My .17HMR has been telling me to take him shooting.......Smitty

I have not seen any for a while, but see lots of holes. There are lots of roads out there, if you go far enough out there you will see a tower on the right side of the road, thats a range tower and on the SouthEast side of it there is a compound that the military gets a little nervous if you too close too. The road kinda turns to the left and goes slighty up hill, the first road to the right will take you out to some nice areas, but if when you turn on the road and then take the road that goes the left and follows the ridge, take it, it will take you up over the ridge and you will start getting into some good shooting areas, then way out in the distance you will see a hill on the left side, its out past that where I shoot. Its about 20 miles out to where I shoot. Good luck. I think I am going to go out one more time before hunting season.

Glad it worked out. I wouldn't shoot beyond 300 unless I went out to where freebird is talking about. That's way past the dead cow and shot gun shell flats. That's where I get my empty hulls.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom