Siberian Cut

eelgrass

Long Time Member
On Discovery Channel. Some loggers from Montana are logging in Russia. Kind of interesting.

Back in the 90's the sawmill I worked at imported some Siberian logs to do a test run to check for recovery and lumber quality. We were interested in buying logs from Russia because we couldn't get enough logs locally to keep us running. We bought a ship load and cut them up into lumber. It was called Siberian Larch. It's pretty close in appearance and quality to our Doug Fir only much tighter grain. The logs had to be barked and dipped in insecticide before they could be imported.

We were all set to start buying logs on a continuing basis but the deal fell through mostly because Russia had no use for American dollars. Our owner offered to trade heavy equipment for logs but the deal never happened.

The owner gave me a couple 12' 2X8's and I still have one of them in my garage. I built a Redwood/Larch foot stool out of the other one. My wife uses it all the time.

Eel

That's pretty cool and interesting.
There someting about that part of the world that intrigues me. Maybe it's that they have wild Snow Sheep to hunt or the almost total isolation from the outside world... and I've not been there.
My mind's churning with ideas right now.
Thanks Eel,
Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom