Show Hogs....

TripleK

Long Time Member
Anyone here ever show hogs in a county fair or stock show? This is my son's first year and we chose a hog to raise and show. Our hog is named Boss Hog and I think he'll do well, but getting him ready and there is going to be a real treat.

Next week is hog bathing and shaving week and boy I can't wait. LOL (dripping with sarcasm here) If it's anything like loading this bad boy when we picked him up...OMHell I don't even want to attempt it. I've never heard an animal make that much noise. Any tips from BTDT experts? (BTDT=been there done that)

Jenn

LAST EDITED ON Jul-25-07 AT 03:30PM (MST)[p]TripleK,

A few years back I was an Agriculture teacher and got to do all this fun for a living. The easiest way to accomplish your goal is by not trying to force the hog to do what you want but accomplish the task by allowing the hog to do what it wants. Now it's not all that easy.

When you first start clipping the hog make sure he is a little hungry and feed him in a shallow pan. You can clip most of the pig before he decides not to eat any more. For the final spots you may have to put a rope around his snout and tie it to something solid. Have ear plugs available.

Washing is just plain fun for the hog and you shouldn't have problems there.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-25-07 AT 03:58PM (MST)[p]Thanks! His hog is black so do I clip it close, shave it completely or leave it a bit long? I was thinking I'd clip it pretty close and shine him up w/pig shine stuff. The pink pigs look awful if they're shaved completely down but the black hogs looked pretty good. The judge at a fitting and showing we watched in June said to shave them about a month before the show to let some grow back for a more natural look, but those black hogs sure did look good even being completely shaved. I know it depends aloton what the judge likes.

Also, we have a cane to drive him with and I guess some judges don't like the cane much anymore??? I think that's crazy though because it sure is easy to hook his snout with that cane and get him going when he stops to root. Doesn't stop him from laying down and rolling in my flower bed and smushing my petunias and marigolds though. Damn pig..... lol

Alot of it also depends on the locality. Here in New Mexico we are going back to a format of clipping them at different depths on different body parts. Some Examples- Clipping very close around the jowls and the underline. Leaving a little more hair along the sides and back.

My opinion and advise to my kids when I was teaching was is do what looks good to you. A black Hampshire, spot or black cross pig will look better when clipped very close. Yorkshire, Chester white, and Cross pigs look a little better when you clip them a week or so before the show and let part of it grow back JMO and I am not the judge of your fair.

As for the cane. It has been an on again off again situation here in New Mexico as well. Right now it is preferred not to use one but I would advise a kid to use one if it allows the child a better chance of showing his/her animal. If a child cannot get his hog in front of the judge without one then not having a cane (because that is preferred) really does not help.

Hope this helps. If you need I can be a bit more descriptive.

3K's ... have you had the conversation with your son about porky ending up as bacon yet?

Last year I raised a couple of steers. My youngest daughter (Nurse Lindsey) came out to the feed yard and proclaimed ?This one's name is "Burger" and this one is "Pot-Roast"! I said damnit, don't give them names!

Well, after that I had to explain to my wife that it was much more humane to have the beef killed at our yard than sell them at the auction and have them shipped off to slaughter houses.

You guessed it! Now every time I barbecue the question is ... is this Burger or Pot-Roast????

Crap!
RUS

Tk,

It seem's to be very regional. Some want the hogs
clipped this way, some that.
I'd just clip the belly area, and leave the rest alone.
Some don't do any clipping at all anymore. Which helps.

If you do need to clip, and they won't stand still for
feed (and most wont) slip a loop just inside their mouth,
and over the top of the snout, and pull it tight.
Knot it off to something solid and the hog will just kinda
lay back against it. He's going to make some noise, so be
ready for that, but it's the way we got them ready for show
for many years. Once you let them off the rope, they're no
worst for the wear. Works darned near every time.

Ahh, showing swine. Brings back good memories.

Larry

piggy's are a walk in the park compared to lamb's ,,, lamb's are wayyyyyyyyyyyy more work and profoundly dumb :) piggys r pretty easy trim up the gaurd hairs a lil bit maybe poof the tail and polish the hoofs, and if ol boss hog is a white piggy like a yorkshire or york cross or even a hamp if its hot keep them in the shade before the show as much as you can because they will sunburn like crazy which will get you knocked down a lil come showmanship time ,,,, i could whistle and mine would come to me like a dog lol ,,,, have fun if he turns out a lil unruly when you get to the fairgrounds you might want to have a couple of people handy with hog boards to keep him from fighting or trying to run off,,, if they get marked up to much that knocks u down in showmanship a bit also :) i had a blast at the fairs and made quite a bit of money to boot :)

Tylercreek,

Plus, yu never see people jumping hog's on and
off the tailgate of a pickup to build up their
hindquarters.
I was never bold enough for showlambs.
Wen't with show steer's though.
Alot of work.
lrv

So how do you clip a show hog?????

46a8073d7d930974.jpg

I showed a few hogs back when I was in 4H. I remember one i had that wanted to fight with every other pig in the ring. As soon as they got the boards between one then he would go find another.
I was tuckered out chasing him around and emberassed as hell.
Didnt feel to bad about him ending up in the freezer after the auction.

They started putting the barrows in show classes together and the gilts in show classes together and that seems to help a bit. There will always be hog fights but I say that an ornery pig is a hungry pig so we will not be withholding feed at all during the show. We want Boss Hog to be happy in the show ring.

And yes, my son knows he'll end up as bacon and he's cool with it. None of my kids cried when Porkchop, last year's pig my son caught at a kids rodeo, went to slaughter.

Wish us luck! HOpe this goes well.

It's probably been 25 years, but all I can remember is making sure my 4-H hogs were clean and shaving it's ears and tail. Other than that, just have fun...

When I was in 4-H, there were 2 divisions.. Quality and Showmanship. I was more concerned with getting a blue ribbon in quality than I was for getting a blue ribbon in showmanship. I always got a kick out of the parents that took showmanship so serious.... Let the kids have fun.. .

I wish my I could get my kids in 4-H.. Great learning experience.

Good Luck!

TeeTee-K, I vote to change its name to Bess-hog & teach it to say Judas Freakin Priest,
should be besst in show. :eek:

EASY Beefy!!!

IF SHE CALLS HIM BESS HOG & PLACES FIRST YOUR SURE GONNA BE EMBARRASSED WHEN YOU SEE ME IN THE LOCAL PAPER!!!

THE ONLY bobcat ABOUT TO GO HOG WILD!!!

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

i have my fat wife prance around the bedroom sometimes. Does that count as a show hog?

GrandapaNasty dude thats just TMI my man.

From my experience with showing hogs with the FFA back in highschool my advise would be to have your kids spend as much time as possible practicing showing with the pigs as much as possible. Hogs are quite smart and lean quick. If they practice then the kid and the hog are more comfortable when in the show ring and that leads to sucess. Keeping your hog in front of the judge at all times and under control is HUGE.

Hamps, Berks and Crosses were the ones for me.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-27-07 AT 09:39AM (MST)[p]Boss Hog is a hamp cross. He's all black w/some white on his front legs. My son is out there every day walking him, twice a day. Our yard is huge and there is alot to check out and get into...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v665/utahgirl74/?action=view?t=2007_0614MOtrip0032.flv

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v665/utahgirl74/?action=view&current=2007_0614MOtrip0033-2.flv

LOL At least he's having fun with him, eh? We'll see how this turns out in the ring. Gonna be a fun adventure that's for sure.

Jenn

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom