Should I shoot him

Abiggerfish2fry

Very Active Member
Should I shoot him with my Elk Super Tag even though there is a winter hunt that starts in unit 46 starting on Dec. 5th and going through the 31st! all the bull in 46 will be coming out of the Jarbridge. So what should I do. I need your help. thanks
38871031110906a.jpg

on my phone looks like a pretty nice bull. But would YOU be happy and PROUD with it? You may see big bulls later or if freak things happen this may be the last bull you see for the year. Do what makes YOU happy, but if me I'd tag him with out second thought. But I think you already knew all this. :) Good luck in which ever you decide!

Good problem to have. How tired are you? I would not hesitate on any bull 350 or over in this state, but I can't see the pic well enough to tell.

Hard to tell but it sure looks like a bull that would go over 300". Like they said above, would you be happy with it? If it was me I would let the lead fly.

He is around 330! I have wanted a 350 bull or bigger! but I am pretty burned out at this piont and am thinking he would look like a 350 bull next to my dink I got last year, I guess I should back up there next weekend and shoot him.

With the weather we are having the elk might come into the 46 hunt or they might not. A bird in the hand. Ron

If I knew it there would be alot of snow in the Jarbridge before the end of Dec. I would wait and not worry so much about getting a big bull, but there is no snow in the hills yet and it seems like there non on the way, I think when I get back up there this coming weekend I am going to take him unless someone knows those bulls will be down in 46. you know after hunting in 54 46 and 40, I am not sure why everyone wants to hunt the early unit 40 hunt when I only seen one bull taken that was around 340 and the rest where around 310 and 46 has alot of toads in it?

Don't shoot. The elk coming out of nevada will be there. I know you can get a 350 over there. Look over by the Bruneau river. In particular take the road that takes of by the airfield on Hwy 51 on the way to Duck valley indian res. So you would be hunting to the east of the res. There is a ranch down there named 'tokenbamby' It's a good starting boint.

Hope that helps

Thanks Scott! You know who else drew this tag and I have been talking too, Is Jason Carter from Huntinfool mag. He told me he is going to wait for that last hunt. Its just kind of scary to think if they dont show up you burn your tag. and I dont think I will ever draw this tag again. Thanks you guys for everything. Joe

DO NOT SHOOT THAT BULL. You been waitin this long and passed on bulls like him this year already. This storm just dropped snow and another storm on friday. I would be willing to bet there will be snow come december. I'm taking away your shells till december.

I would be patient and wait, you still have 2 months. Theres no way the elk will stay in the Jarbidge til the end of Dec., they cant eat frozen forage. I would start inquiring about and scouting the migration routes if you already haven't.

On the other hand if you are ready to get on with your life and are tired of stressing about filling the tag, that looked like a decent Bull and close to the road.....

LAST EDITED ON Nov-01-11 AT 02:11PM (MST)[p]Easy now Jason!
Lets be rational about this takening the bullet thing! I give you my word I wont shoot a dink.

I have personally seen over 40 bulls in unit 46 that are obviously local bulls and they were still rutting last week.I saw a fight between 2 bulls that lasted over 20 minutes and alot of the bulls antlers are broken up pretty good.I know a 368 and a 382 bull were taken on the muzzy hunt and theres still one thats right in that range thats not broken up yet.Im hunting with another supertag holder so thats about all the info I can help you with.He passed on that bull so he can hunt the late hunt,maybe that tells you somthing.I hope you shoot what you set out to get.Good luck and post a picture.

Hayzeus is that other person Jason? I know there 3 of us left with Supertags that have not been filled yet. thanks for the imformation. Joe

No,I dont know Jason.This guy is holding out for a good one.He had a 45 tag and shot a nice 330 bull, which is a jaw dropper for that unit.He knows some guys that took a 396 bull last year on the late hunt so he feels pretty confident about it.Im headed to 54 tomorrow with my friend who has that tag.We heard that most the aspen leaves have dropped so nows the time.He was there at the start of the season way down south and found a couple 370 plus bulls but they spent their days in Utah and nights in Idaho.He got tired of watching them in Utah all day and gave that area up.Cant blame him thats pretty frustrating.

Ok now that I've got a little more info for ya. We have land on duck valley Indian reservation cause my wife is Shoshone piaute. I was lookin at a map and talking with our cousin who lives there full time and hunts all the time there. The location of where he usually hunts elk is pretty close to jarbridge up in the mountains. He said he hasn't been up there lately but last time he did he ran into the biggest bull he's ever seen he said it looked like he had two trees on his head lol but couldn't get a shot off. It has been cold down there for a while now and I know all the antelope headed for lower ground about a month ago. Once again its a gamble but always happy with something that your proud of.

Ok, I am headed out in the morning back where this Elk hurd is to see if any toads worked there way off the mountain yet, if not! I am done until Dec. 5th, for the late unit 46 hunt that almost every person I talked to about it told me that it will be the best hunt in Idaho for Elk. Did I hear the word snow!

No way. with the super tag I would hold out for al tleast something above 380". Probably a once in a lifetime chance.

When you get done with your hunt, you should give us a run-down on the different hunts you were a part of. I know maybe you want to keep things to yourself, but if you are open to sharing, it would be interesting for us to know what you decided were the best units/times of years to hunt. I think I know most of what you have done...but anyways.

Good luck on your late hunt.

I just got an email from a friend with the late 40 tag that killed a very big bull, rough scoring ~370. Huge 4th and 5th's on him. I won't share pics, that will be up to him, but he is a great guy who spends a lot of time in that unit.

Let us know how that late tag goes, seems to be a great year in Idaho for big bulls.

owyhees is a great unit, they just are not easy to find. id like to have that early tag. congrats to your buddy.

Keep after it on the supertag. you'll kill a giant!

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com
Blacks-Creek Pack Dealer
Havalon Knife Dealer

I hunted on that early 40 hunt with my Super Tag and I can tell you it was not as good you might think, I found 46 to be the best. when I fill this tag I will let you guys see the pictures and tell you the whole story from day 1! and I can tell you it is a few pages long.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom