Should I move to Oregon?????

FishlakeElkHunter

Very Active Member
Ok all you Oregon MM people, I need some help????

I have the opportunity to move to the Portland area. It is a pretty neat offer, but I need to know why else I would want to live in Portland.

Right now I live in the middle of GREAT elk country. I may not be able to shoot one every year, but between friends and family I am chasing HUGE elk around every year.

What I want to know about Oregon (Portland Area) is.......Good place to raise kids?? ....Hunting???.....Fishing??....Golf???....Give me some good reasons as to why I would want to leave Utah and move there????

HELP?????

Lived in Oregon all my life. My office is in Portland and I commute everyday from Mulino. Takes about 1hr with traffic, but it's worth it, living in the country with 20 acres. People usually say the hunting sucks, but we have always done well with elk and deer. LOTS of golf courses around.

If you moved here, I would look at living south or southeast of Portland. Home prices are cheaper and the school districts are smaller. We just listed our home if your interested. $1.3M 6000SF home with the acrerage, setup for horses! I'll take cash, visa, discover, American Express whatever you can do :) Just don't move to Woodburn. I grew up there and the town is overrun with meth heads and gang bangers! After getting our home broke into 4 times (after I married) we decided to move out and get our kids into decent schools...with land to put our horses on.

Good Luck!

muleyman

I've lived in eastern Oregon my whole life, which is about the same difference as the Wasatch front vs eastern Utah. Portland is fine if you don't mind the big city, as big cities go it's probably as good as any. other than sheep hunting you're going backwards as far as hunting goes compared to Utah. one thing that is nice is you have everything from the ocean to high peaks, rain forrest and dessert. not many places do you have that.

Thanks for the Replys guys!

My office would be around the Swan Island area. The guy that wants to hire me tells me I should live in the Tualatin area. He said the schools are great and it is a nice area.

I know the hunting would not be what Utah is. But I have already drawn my LE elk tag for Utah anyway, and I would never get another one anyway even if I lived here.

How is the general season stuff up there? What about Rosevelt Elk? What are some of those opportunities?

I love the fact of only being 2 hours from the Ocean. I would love to fish the Columbia for Salmon and Sturgeon!!!! I hear the Willamette River is good also. Maybe I will have to turn into a major fish guy instead!

It is still a long shot that I will take the job, but they are offering a LOT of money.....So it is for sure worth thinking about!!!!!

DAMN!!!

HAVE YOU EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT ME???

I MOW YOUR LAWN WHILE YOU'RE OUT OF TOWN!!!

YOU KNOW FUEL IS 4.00 PER GALLON DON'T YA???

IT'S BEEN KINDA SPENDY GETTING THAT LAWN MOWED RIGHT WHERE YA LIVE NOW!!!

YOU MOVE TO OREGON & I'M NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO TAKE CARE OF THINGS WHILE YOU'RE OUT OF TOWN!!!

THINK FLEH!!!

THINK!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

Now Bessy!!! You know just how GOOD...no GREAT my lawn really is..........now don't you think it would be worth driving all the way to Oregon??????

Yes, you should go. See ya!;-)

Are there palm trees in Oregon? Probably not. Not for me!

Seriously, I hear it is pretty nice, but the hunting has something to be desired. I would go take a look see. You will know real quick if you like it or not. Jump a plane on SouthWest for $59 and go look?

Portland is OK but all our elk died this winter. Sturgeon fishing is really bad too. Halibut fishing and Tuna are a waste of time.

LAST EDITED ON May-16-08 AT 08:16PM (MST)[p]I'm thinking Oregon is one of them places the locals say "Oh! it sucks you'll hate it" cause they know what they got! Been there a couple of times and was really impressed. Lot's of variety. I'm with you FLEH ... nothing wrong with focusing on really good fishing.

"It is still a long shot that I will take the job, but they are offering a LOT of money.....So it is for sure worth thinking about!!!!!"

Take the money dumbie .... you can always move back to Utardia! I been a little concerned about you anyway .... anybody that would move from Monrovia to Richfield has got to have some issues.

RUS

The sooner the better you liberal turd....you'll fit right in. You can start converting the heathens immediately.

JB

We like being heathens, multiple bars in every town, sometimes the only building in town. strip clubs in about every town with a population over 50,000, no G string or swim suit crap either, it's all good.

RUS....It would mean getting off the road and being home with the Kiddies every night. Getting to sleep with the wife every night is not a bad idea either!! I have to keep Bessy away! :) The money would be in the range of being able to retire by about 50 and then move back to Utah and RELAX!

JB.....You PLICK! I am no liberal....They just may kick me out of Oregon!!

Dude....I was just in Portland all week. Just returned today! and yes..I saw all the Nudie bars....LOL...and no I didnt go in them! hehehe

I rest my case!!!!! Sounds like you would be dumber than GWB to pass this one up. Let us know where you go from here. Tittie bars are legal as long a momma doesn't find out .... common Suzy Midnight, WooHoo!

RUS

Fishlake,
I moved to Oregon but grew up in Utah. PM me and I will tell you what I know. Oregon has a lot of fun stuff for the sportsman.

HEY RUS!!!

THATS A LOW BLOW!!!

"DUMBER THAN GWB"???

COULD YOU SPLAIN THAT TO US WITHOUT MENTIONING HILLARY???

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

Let's see, deer and elk hunting, though not trophy caliber elk like Utah has, great blacktail hunting, ducks and geese out the wazoo and sitting in the Columbia Basin, it's near what might be the best waterfowl hunting on the entire Pacific Flyway. Northwest Oregon canada goose season is a 5 bird limit it September. Great salmon and steelhead fishing. Freshwater and saltwater too. The sturgeon run big, my son caught a 10 1/2 footer last summer and lost one estimated at over 14 feet long. The Umpqua might be the best smallmouth river in the western US. Lots of great golfing, lots of good skiing too.

The weather is great in August!

What does the person in charge have to say? We all know SHE'S the one who makes the decisions around there. ;-) lol

Jenn

you like rain? having someone pump your gas is cool and everyone's from California, Old or preaches!
It feels like Berkley Ca!
I look into it about 10 yrs ago and backed down...housing is dam near free though and its got homeless and crime!
how many utah le bull points you bring with ya?
jb

Jenn...the wife will go where I go. She is actually king of excited. To be home every night would be worth moving for her.

Rans and JB...Whats the matter??? Tell me why I should not do it??? Rans..pay me a bunch of money and I will move anywhere...I am kind of a WHORE that way! LOL

There is still lots of IF'S in this whole deal. There is lots of details still to be worked out with the job thing and it is going to take at least two more trips to Portland. This will take 60 days to work out I am sure. But I thought I would get as much input as I could to see what people thought about the area...

I am sure I will end up staying in Utardia...but YOU NEVER KNOW!

"Getting to sleep with the wife every night is not a bad idea either!! I have to keep Bessy away."

Takes alot of pressure off all of us!

Just teasing... Laugh Out Loud!

RUS

Post Script: When I get to 2000 posts I'm done .. YEAH!

Not gunna embarrass myself like bess or ransom!

fleh....thought I saw you on the race tonite.....you look just like matt yoakum....lol

JB

If you are able to spend more time with your family, I would take the job. I liked Oregon when I was there, but I did find that there were too many Russ type liberals.

If you make all this money, you can buy a landowner elk tag every year in Utah.

geeze ruffwoody ... what did I ever do to you? ... it's the land of dude! What can I say .. GO HILLOBAMA!

RUS

>"Getting to sleep with the wife
>every night is not a
>bad idea either!! I have
>to keep Bessy away."
>
>Takes alot of pressure off all
>of us!
>
>Just teasing... Laugh Out Loud!
>
>RUS
>
>Post Script: When I get to
>2000 posts I'm done ..
>YEAH!
>
>Not gunna embarrass myself like bess
>or ransom!

Commie dork

And what is so wrong with moving from Monroe to Richfield?
He will be gaining running water, indoor plumbing, and electricity? I made the jump and I'm happy here!!!
But then again money means everything...right???
I had a chance to move to the Magna area for a lot of money but told them I'd rather live where I'm at and dig ditches...
Well, 10,598 ditches later, I still stick to that decision!!! LOL

Good for you antlerrick! You of course know I'm teasing .... right? Anywhere in Rooster Valley is cool. Think about it, you could end up in the Basin!!! Teasing once again! Don't blow a gasket TTK! But then again there are those out there lurking that puss out and run to Kona every time things get rough.

RUS

I agree Rick....Quality of life is important!

But I figure if I can be home every night with my kids...then that is pretty important!

Oh, by the way AR....we are going to Fishlake and leaving the trailers up to my property this weekend and going to be up there all of Memorial weekend. I need to get out and do some fishing. If you are up that way...swing by!!!

FLEH - you've got the right attitude about it. Be where you can be closest to your family most of the time and where the kids will have a good quality of life. There are some parts of Portland that aren't so good, but many more that are great. Oregon is a good place - lots of trees and fresh air and of course mountains. If you gotta go somewhere - it ain't a bad place to have to go to!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom