Should Hunters Foot the Bill?

Hiker of the Woods

I wish a tax on birkenstocks, bird seed, bird field guides, and other products would be taxed to help wildlife management like this article talks about. Could a tax like this be passed in Oregon to help ODFW or anywhere else? What are everyone's thoughts?

From The Wildlife Society:

Should Hunters Foot the Bill?

Today at 6:55am

?To ?preserve nature,? they don't tax Birkenstock hiking boots and Yin-Yang pendants ? but do tax my shotgun. They don't tax binoculars or birding field guides with cutesy photos of the red-cockaded woodpecker and spotted owl ? but do tax the shotgun shells I blast at Mallards before arraying them on my grill as Duck-K-Bobs?

http://www.americanthinker.com/2010/04/nex...k_a_hunter.html

While the above statement from irate hunter, Humberto Fontova, may be extreme, the decision to tax hunters and not other wildlife enthusiasts such as bird watchers, kayakers and hikers is a controversial issue for some. The ?hook and bullet? taxes go towards wildlife agencies to provide financial support for wildlife conservation and management. According to a study by the National Shooting Sports Foundation, for every taxpayer dollar invested in wildlife conservation, hunters and fishermen contribute nine. Besides the fact that it seems unfair for hunters and fisherman to foot the bulk of the bill, there is also the fact that entire target markets are being ignored; ones that are larger and more diverse than that of the hunter/fisher persuasion.

The Wildlife Society?s Journal of Wildlife Management included an article on this argument stating that ?The predominant funding source has been license sales and federal excise taxes paid by hunters, trappers, and gun owners. This leads to a pattern of institutional actions tending to meet the needs of a narrow base rather than broader public interest.?

Since money is usually the primary decision factor in whether research and conservation projects are approved or denied, not only should these small user-based groups be taxed but so should the general public.

?Conservation needs to be funded in large part by all beneficiaries; that is, the general public via a nonvoluntary mechanism.? (JWM) Just because some people don't see the benefit or decide not to go out and enjoy nature, doesn't mean that each person should be able to decide whether or not to pitch in to support a healthy environment. As corny as it sounds, we really are just borrowing the Earth from our children so that decision is not ours to make.

I would love to see that happen, but it won't.. As hunters and fisherman we are the minority. Where do you draw the line so it doesn't turn into something similar to cap and trade.

NO GUTS, NO STORY!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

They are only advocating paying their fair share so they get more of a voice in future management decisions.

I would rather hunters/fisherman would pay the majority of the bill and get the majority of the say in management.

Small price to pay in my opinion.

Grizzly

Grizz-those were my thoughts exactly. I'd rather be able to throw out some of these numbers and be able to tell them to take a seat. The money we sportsmen spend does a great deal of talking.

Well, another reason this will never "fish" is that, as hunters and fishermen, we are the only group actually depleting the resource.....therefore, it is our responsibility to foot the bill.

At this point, our taxes on hunting and fishing equipment and license fees, are the main source of revenue, so at least we have SOME leverage.

Put everyone on the same level and the Audobon Society will be making all the decisions and hunters will be history.

When they don't need our money, they won't need us at all.

Maybe it's just terminology but I don't see us as depleting the resource. In alot of cases we (hunters & fisherman) have increased the resource and at a minimum, maintained it's current levels. I agree that I will gladly foot the bill as long as my dollars allow me a say in the future of wildlife.

Birkinstock tax, that was funny. Makes me wonder how commited to wildlife the treehuggers, save the wolfers, and others would be if they had to open up the purse strings.

Call it whatever YOU want to. The bottom line here is that most hunters and fishermen buy bait, bullets and licenses, etc., so that they can KILL something.

Wipe up the blood, smile for the camera and dress it up, as "conservation" all you want, but that is what occurs.

The nature fakers aren't killing anything, so they are not "USING-DEPLETING" the resource.

I personnaly have spent most of 50 years, killing anything that walks, talks, squacks, crawls, casts a shadow, or eats lettuce.....but I have never been a hypocrit about it. I pay for the "blood"......and I get my moneys' worth.

Add up all the waterfowl, upland game, varmints, fish, deer, elk, and non-game species that I have killed.....multiply that times the number of hunters in my family.....well, you can see where this is going....depleting is an ok word.

If for some reason I could no longer kill stuff, it wouldn't upset me at all, but I would not continue to pay for a license. I will be just as happy shooting clay targets and iron pigs.

Might even buy some "Birkys'"

nickman, I see your point. I think the counterpoint is viewed on a macro-type scale.

Overall, hunters increase wildlife population more than they decrease it. This can be seen looking at game populations today as compared to 100 years ago.

Modern wildlife management, and all its successes, can be attributed to hunters/fisherman.

Grizzly

All this blood and guts! It's making me ill. Can't you guys just leave those poor creatures alone? Nickman, geez I don't know how those south county rock crawlers put up with someone as cruel and callous as you! But you know theres going to be a ton of quail and chukar to slauter this year, the fiddleneck is everywhere. I can't wait! And just think,on a year like this, some of those park deer might hang around too. I've got points, maybe i'll draw a B tag this year , and get to pole axe one of those busters. Seriosly,hunters and fishermen have kept up there end of the bargain, and as a lifelong hunter and fisherman, I don't want any barkbiters putting up there share, just so they can shut things down in the future. But I do have an issue with the DFG, THE LICENSE FEES AND TAXES ON OUR AMMO should be used only for hunting and fishing, not for the Yellow Legged Frog, or the Yellow Billed cucku.
Thanks, Brownie

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom