Shotgun reloading

justr_86

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Sep-26-11 AT 12:00PM (MST)[p]My dad gave me a garbage can full of Activ 12 gauge hulls. I cannot find any load data for them anywhere... I am wanting some pretty heavy field loads. If possible maybe using them to load some steel shot for duck and goose?? We cannot find any of the load data he used when he loaded them... I'm hoping someone will have some laying around they are willing to share??!!

I would like to use winchester super field if at all possible??

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

My advice:

Toss those hulls, go to a trap and skeet club and buy a target case full of hulls for $2, that have a modern reloading reciepe.

Activ hulls are 20 years past their heyday and wads will be a big issue.

Even at the high point in their popularity, they were the "YUGO" of shotshells and only the target loads were successful. The field loads were a dismal disappointment.

Active hulls have a different taper on the inside, and using anything but an Activ wad can produce chamber pressures off the chart. The primer pockets have crappy tolerances and reloads lose a lot of primers.

You will hear guys saying it won't hurt to sub those wads, but that is BS.....and you will be gambleing with your life, someone else's or your shotgun.

If you take that bad advice, to save a couple bucks on reloads, you are an idiot and deserve whatever accident you get.

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

I did a bit more digging around my dads crawlspace and found 5 bags of activ wads, called my grandpa and he has 4 more, both for trap loads and field loads. I will use them up and throw the rest away. Thanks!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom