Shotgun for Turkey

m_freeman

I am going to give turkey hunting a try,I am total beginner at turkey hunting. Any suggestions for an affordable dedicated turkey huntin' shotgun, not too heavy. Is 12 ga mandatory or are most the shots well within 20 ga range, any benefit one over the other?

For the price and versatility I'd look at a Remington 870 with RemChoke. 20 or 12 gauge both kill them fine but I like 12. I also like the Browning Gold Hunter but it's more $$.

Can't go wrong with the 870. Its affordable! After last season with my daughters hunt with a 20gun guage id go with the 12. Those birds are tough! The more lead you can throw at them the better.

Buckmaster said it right that s for sure. I've seen my share run off after a good blast from a 12 gauge. Only other advise I would like to add is get a good XXXFull choke. I personally feel the choke is just as important as the gun. You want a tight, tight, tight partern.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

Another thing I would do is to pattern your shotgun with the same type of shells you are hunting with at a couple different yardages.I personally like 3" with number 5 shot

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom