Shotgun duck, goose, turkey

scpaisley

I can't decide on a shotgun that I would use for duck, goose, and turkey. I was thinking a remington 10ga chambered for 3&1/2" mags which would work great for geese and turkey but might be a bit too much for duck. Just looking for suggestions. Thanks!

"Beauty is just a light switch away..."

You're going to get a lot of advice to buy something in 3 1/2", but I'll jump right out there and disagree. You don't need anyting more than a 3" gun for anything you can hunt with a shotgun, and in all honesty, a 2 3/4" gun is fine for over 90% of what you might shoot. I do use a 3" full choked gun for turkey hunting, but I'd venture that over 80% of the birds I've killed could have been shot just as well with a tight choked 2 3/4" gun, and frankly a 20 guage would have killed a bunch of them stone dead. For geese, a 3" gun has some advantages, especially if you shoot steel, but if you're shooting decoying birds a 2 3/4" gun would again work fine for most situations.

I may be an old dinosaur, but I've been using the same 2 3/4" gun with a 26" improved cylinder barrel (with NO choke tubes) for the last 28 or so years. Over that time, you don't want to know how many ducks, geese, pheasants, quail, doves have fallen to that gun. The only thing I don't use it for is turkeys, but that's becuase of the open choke, no other reason it wouldn't be a great turkey gun. By the way, I have plenty of other shotguns in my cabinet, including plenty of 3" guns. I won't have a 3 1/2", as they don't handle as well and can't do anything that a shorter chamber gun can do too.

I'd have to agree with CAelknuts. Ive shot plenty of turkey with 2 3/4" shells and never had an issue. My personal favorite is the Rem 11-87 in 12 ga. Can shoot 3" shells if you need. A buddy of mine has never used anything more than a 20 gauge w/ 3" shells for duck hunting and does just as well as us shooting 12 guages. I think a lot of it has to do with the shooters ability. Of course there will come a time when gauge and shell size become an issue when shooting bigger birds at longer distances.

look at a benelli super black eagle in 12gauge or whatever the current version is called. it will shoot 2 3/4 to 3 1/2. its is with out a doubt the best all around shotgun i have found. Light weight low recoil very reliable. I picked up a 10 gauge browning and have found it never leaves the house because it really sucks to carry around

"blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'donnell being fat."

I shoot the Beneli nova 12 guage. It shoots up to 3 1/2. Ive done well with all three birds your talking about, but like mentioned before I dont think Ive loaded a 3 1/2 in it since i purchased it.

archerygurublogspot

+1 on the Benelli Nova! Great gun shoots 2-3/4" to 3-1/2" its unbreakable and priced well,around $500.
4af4f0c6062236d4.jpg

Another vote for the Benelli SuperNova. I just picked one up this fall and so far has been a great gun.

Mark

12 gage 3 1/2 is the best all around gun right now i have the Bernelle super nova and it is a great gun, also to the posters stating that the 3 1/2 are not needed I disagree completely I have hunted waterfowl for over 25 years and there is a huge difference in the performance between a 2 3/4 shot and a 3 1/2 if in doubt set up some targets at 30 through 60 yards and count shot density between the two also the 3 1/2 have the larger payload in the premium brand amo, smaller shells do the job but why limit your self? buy a gun that can cover all aspects of bird hunting IMO the gage 3 1/2 does that from doves to turkey your covered and you can choose the shell the meets the situation the best

My buddy has a super nova and when he loads it up with the 3 1/2s they blow the action open for him and has caused him to have a hard time pumping in the next round. That is my only experience with a Nova and the only experience I need to not ever buy one. I have a 12 gauge 3 1/2er and I find myself always taking my 20 gauge over and under. Those geese and turkeys hit the ground just as dead ;)

Stoeger 12 semi auto it'll only shoot 3 inchers it'll only cost 450 and comes with a turkey choke,skeet,full,improved,and modified I'm not sure on the last one as I only use the improved & the turkey choke.

There is an article in last months Outdoor Life that lists the pros and cons of 3" vs 3 1/2". It boiled down to more shot of course in the 3 1/2" but at a cost of more recoil and less velosity. I personally like a lighter faster load. You gotta pattern your gun though.

New loads are comming out all the time. I even heard of a factory load of 1700 ft./sec. on the horizon.

Here is an article I read awhile back. It sounds like the 10 gauge is pretty much dead.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/10_gauge_obsolete.htm

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

check out the new browning maxas it is upsetting the market 12 GA 3 AND 3 1/2 @ around 1300$ YOU DO NOT NEED A 10 ga to take gesse i have one but kill 90 % of my birds wtih a 12 GA i do shoot 3 1/2 shells on honkers just more pay load.

When I hunt ducks I put my gun through the test of all tests and have really enjoyed my 3" 870 express. I have owned much finer guns, but that 870 is a no nonsense work under all conditions gun and the price can not be beat. I also agree with everyone above, the 10 ga. and 3 1/2 inch guns are not any advantage over a 12 ga 3" load with a good choke. Good luck in your choice and your hunts!

Chad

its a personal preference IMO i have shot over a thousand geese and in my experience you need a good choke and the right load for the type of hunt your going on. 3 1/2 do have more killing power plain and simple do you need it for ducks... no way. geese you don't if there under 35 to 40 yards as the season moves on they become more decoy shy and longer shots become the norm 40 to 60 yards and really at 60 i think your pushing it with being an ethical shot i would say 55 is my max in those situations it pays to have the heaver shot and payload. Geese are tough so i chose 3 1/2 shells on them even if there in close more of an ethical thing for me. smaller shells may wound a goose and they can still keep trucking and die later that day with the larger shells you have a better chance of drooping your birds on contact yeah your shot may be a little slower but its hitting harder just like with a bullet you shoot 180 grains vs 130 grain you will see a difference knock down power goes up with the bigger shells as others have said the choke on your gun will make a huge difference. Can you get them dead with a smaller shell or a smaller gun... Yes you can but why limit your self when you can buy a gun that will shoot all three shell sizes and then you will have the advantage of being able to choose what shell will work best in any given situation the nova and Browning i own have never given me any problems with the breach blowing open that is a defective gun and needs to be looked at by a gun smith I have several friends that guide for geese and 4 of them own the nova and have shot cases of 3 1/2 and love there guns performance and never have had an issue with that gun. Also Remington puts out a great gun for the money in the 3 1/2 check them out.

My own experience with Benelli shotguns has been bad. I've seen lots of issues with the Super black eagle series. Fail to feed and eject. I wouldn't own one. If you like the work horse type gun you cant go wrong with remington 870's.

I have a beretta xtrema 2, it is a 3 1/2 and still ejects out the lite target loads just as good as the 3 1/2. It is the only gun i use now from doves to turkey.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-14-09 AT 03:40PM (MST)[p]Utahelkaholic, we've all got opinions, you and I certainly do. I'm not interested in getting into a debate over who's shot more birds, as we'd both look stupid. I'll only say that I've been shooting shotguns at all kinds of birds, from doves to spur wing geese and much of everything in between, in a lot of different places for the last 42 years. What I have found to be far more important than the payload a gun can launch is the ability not only of the shooter, but the HUNTER. I don't care to shoot waterfowl at 60 yards, though I'm certainly capable. I shoot honkers with that 2 3/4" gun with the improved cylinder, but then, I shoot my birds up close for the most part. I'm far more intersted in trying to kill a honker that is in landing mode, than one passing by at 60 yards. Sorta like guys who bowhunt vs. long range shoot.

I think the most important quality a shotgun can have is good handling and balance, and the ability to hit exactly where the shooter is looking. After that comes reliability. No 3 1/2" gun handles as well as a smaller and lighter gun, period. If you think so, try taking that big long gun quail hunting. A good shooter with a quality gun doesn't need overkill in terms of what he's shooting, but the guy who compromises on what a hunt is - might.

The biggest reason that 3 1/2" guns came into vogue was marketing, just like the short magnum craze. Niether of them do anything better than a lot of stuff that was already out there, but companies needed to boost sales, so they found a way by making an allegedly better mousetrap.

...and some people bought into it.

Ca everything you wrote about killing geese in close and knowing what you and your gun are capable of is 100% right i do not disagree at all I don't support lazy hunting practices because i choose to shoot a 3 1/2 shell at geese if you got that impression you misunderstood me. As for the amount of birds thing i was not competing with you i used it for an example of my experience with geese which i am sure you have me beat. I mean you have been hunting for about 30 years longer then i have been alive lol I am just pulling your leg hope i didn't hurt your hip HA HA HA have a good year hope you fill your bag limit or at least scare a few... GOOD HUNTING

Buy a Remington 870 in 3" and use the extra money to buy more ammo and go on more hunts. My friend traded his 870 to buy a Benelli Nova pump and regrets it every time we go out. The Nova is heavy and seems big and bulky. Can't go wrong with an 870.

Dax

NO worries Utah!

I have to agree with Daxter, if you're going to shoot a pump, it is hard to equal an 870. They've superb pointing guns, and totally reliable. I've got them in 12, 20, 28 and 410 and love them all. Don't hunt with them very much these days, but they're fantastic shotguns.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-09 AT 01:28AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-09 AT 01:07?AM (MST)

Am I the only one sitting here laughing my azz off at this thread?

....what if someone came on here and said, "since I killed a buck with my .243, at 297 yards and he never took a step, anybody who uses anything larger is an inferior hunter".....

"the .338 is just a marketing ploy and nobody really needs one".....

"quads are for sissies and fat lazy slob hunters".......

"no real hunter needs a horse to pack out an elk".....

"I killed a bazillion ducks and geese with .....yada, yada, yada,"...

I marvel at some peoples arrogance!

You buy Weatherby bullets for $75 a box, I buy Black Cloud 3.5" mag loads for $25 a box, but I am the inferior hunter?

I LIKE my Maxi Mag. It kills chit "DRT" (dead right there) and as "inferior" a hunter as I must be, I will keep shooting it because I LIKE it, thank you very much!

By the way, I am down to only about 11 other shotguns.....which I have been using for longer than 42 years, if that's all it takes to make one an obnoxious azz.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-09 AT 12:00PM (MST)[p]Nickman, glad to see that I've managed to stay in such high esteem in your eyes, I appreciate that.

Perhaps I'm not as articulate as I should be, but I truly do not believe a 3 1/2" gun is better for most birdshooting. Everyone got along just fine for decades, many decades, before the 3 1/2" chambering came out. Lots of birds were killed with lead out to 50-60 yards by hunters, just like they are today with smaller 12 gauge offerings using higher quality shotshells such as Hevishot. When the gun companies and ammunition companies came out with the 3 1/2" offering, it was hailed as a cure to some of what people complained about with steel shot. The problem is the ballistics of pellet engergy didn't change due to the bigger gun. Hunters were just able to deliver more pellets down range, but those pellets didn't hit harder just because of the bigger shell they came out of. What has been a huge improvement in steel offerings is the quality of shotshells. That development has had more to do with the ability to kill birds than anything lately, and that benefits the smaller 12 gauge offerings as well as the biggest one.

If you think a 3 1/2" gun is so much better, why don't accomplished shooters use them for everything? Why do so many experienced shooters stick with the smaller guns? Is it because they handle better? Is it because they know that shooting quality shells is more important than the size of the gun they're shot out of? Just try to imagine a 'best' english double in 3 1/2", I can't!

I don't have anything against people using the bigger gun if they choose to, but the fellow who started this thread was asking for some advice, and a number of us have given him our opinions. I don't think it harms him to get the pros and cons of people's views, especially when they've done a good bit of birdshooting. Nick, I do note that you didn't come on here with any contribution until you had something derogatory to say about me and perhaps another poster, but why don't you feel comfortable contributing an answer to what the original poster asked about until then? Heck, with your experience, maybe wel could all learn something if you'd care to share. :D

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-09 AT 12:35PM (MST)[p]And by the way Nick, I have nothing against you or anyone else shooting a 3 1/2" gun. My point was, and always will be, the fellow who started the thread was asking what gun would be good for ducks, geese, turkeys. Most of us have tried to offer some answers/opinions that directly went to his question.

I don't think a 3 1/2" is the best all around gun for most guys, and simply stated why. For you it might be great, for the fellow who asked the question, it might be a poor choice compared to something else. For a guy like me, it is simply unnecessary to have one.

Calelk..........I took no issue with any of the facts you stated, until you insinuated that people using a 3.5" shotgun were inferior hunters.

I felt that the original question had received adequate response and that I hold almost the exact views as you and others. You covered the topic perfectly.

You did not keep your opinion on topic either, at the point at which you decided that my (and many thousand duck and goose hunters) personal choice to shoot a 3.5" at ducks and geese made me less of a hunter than you.

You jump shoot ducks and geese along the river where I live and you had better have the horsepower to consistently make hard kills at 50 yards.

Also, at no point did I say that the 3.5" gun was "the best". It's simply another tool to get a particular job done and some of us like them. Is it overkill? Probably, in some cases. So what? I like it.

I personally shoot dove and quail with a Sterlingworth .410. For chukar and pheasant, I switch to a 20gauge Mirage with 3" copper shot, but I sure see a lot of guys with 12 gauges. So what?

I found it a bit hypocritical, on a website where larger caliber rifles are constantly being touted as " bigger, faster, more knockdown power".......etc. What's the difference?

As far as shotshell ballistics facts go, they are mostly always in a state of change also, so you can accept or reject them as you choose.

It is all simply a matter of choice anyway.....

Well Nick, as I said earlier, sometimes I'm not as articulate as I could be. Point well taken.

And I guess you brought up one other area where you and I would probably agree on most things, and that is that most hunters don't need big magnum calibers for most western hunting, and I say that as a guy who mostly hunts with a .338.

I own them all and it goes like this SBE is crap when took 8 mos to get back because that stupid pin seared! My 1 gen extrema perform perfectly and is my hunting gun by choice and my Browning O/U which fires everything is now the shotgun my son won't part with(he call it Chuck Norris)!!
if I wanted a new gun I'd Buy a Browning Maxxes camo 3.5 28"..

4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

I just got a '07 model Mossberg 935 as a gift. Only shoots 3" and 31/2". Anyone know anything about that gun? I've had the 500 pump in the past and i liked it. I had a 9200 for a short while there and it did well with birds and I've had an 835 a long time ago as well and they all seemed to perform just fine. I've just not heard much about the 935.

"Beauty is just a light switch away..."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom