Shooting near homes/buildings

deepforks

guys, how many feet away from a dwelling do you have to be to shoot a fire arm? for some reason, ive got 100ft. in my head. reason is, my backyard property line is the city limit....the field/ditch behind my house is duck haven. i have permission to hunt it, but where i would need to set my blind would be fairly close to the backyards in my neighborhood (the field is not very wide). im obviously shooting in the opposite direction, but want to make sure im far enough away. ive checked f&g's website as well as some state statutes...cant find anything.

thanks,

Just ask the local police officer if they would write a ticket if you shot in your back yard. They are the ones who enforce the law about shooting within the city limits.

of course they would write me a ticket! i stated my backyard property line is the edge of the city limit. i would be hunting the field (outside city limits). but i know i still have to be x amount of feet away. i'll give the p.d. a call and see what they say.

let us know what they say for our info. im sure you would be fine since its a short range weapon but another thing to think about is up setting your neighbors even if it is legal. would hate to wake a kid up during a nap or waking people up in the morning. im sure you would ask your neighbors first also but just wanted to add that bit in. seems more of an ethical decision rather than a legal. good luck! merry Christmas!

actually on second thought i think its 100yards. i put my wife through hunters ed a couple years ago and from what we recall you have to be 100yards off of the interstate and would assume the same for a dwelling. let us know thanks!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-25-10 AT 02:26PM (MST)[p]In Calif. it is 150 YARDS OF A HOUSE, BARN OR DWELLING WHERE YOU CAN NOT SHOOT.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

i'll post when i find out. i live in a pretty rural area, so the gunshots wont be an issue. they ring out like crazy all around our subdivision during bird season.....happy holidays everyone!!

well it turns out i got permission to hunt a chunk of land the size of my lot. ha ha. pulled up the county assessors map and found the right land owner. stopped by and luckily they gave me permission too. stoked!! also, i called the sheriffs office and they told me there is no distance requirement as long as im outside city limits and shooting in a safe direction. so now we know (its canyon county btw).

Good luck, but be prepared for angry neighbors that think they know the law and are completely wrong. Where i live, we border BLM land. My kids like to go hunt birds with shotguns near the fenceline that borders BLM/neighborhood. The fence never get closer than 500 yds from a house except in two spots and my kids know not to go near them. Still every year some folks yell at my kids, telling them how unsafe they are. My kids know not to argue, simply obtain the adults name and address. I then go have a talk with these folks. BTW, even with the distance my kids are taught NOT to shoot toward the houses and no shooting if anyone is using the road near the fence, just to be extra safe. The best is when these folks call the cops, who come out and tell the boys thanks for being so safety conscious and then go educate the callers!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom