Shootem all

G

gilamonster8

Amid Idaho's 800 Wild Wolves, Domesticated Wolf Causing Headaches by Killing Livestock
11-28-2007 8:09 PM
By JOHN MILLER, Associated Press Writer

BOISE, Idaho (Associated Press) -- Law enforcement officers in southwestern Idaho have been told by federal wildlife managers not to shoot a domesticated wolf that's been killing and maiming livestock for a month, for fear they might mistakenly kill one of the roughly 800 federally protected wild wolves that roam the state.

The adult wolf, which weighs as much as 180 pounds, escaped Oct. 29 from its pen in Owyhee County on the southern bank of the Snake River.

Virtually all federally protected wolves are in the Idaho mountains north of the river.

Still, Sheriff Gary Aman said U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service officials advised him to hold his fire, for now _ in the rare event that one of the protected animals swam the waterway and has taken up residence in his remote region of sagebrush, rattlesnakes and just 11,000 people.

"There could be a one-in-a-million possibility that this could be one of their other animals," Aman told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "It's maddening. This is a very, very aggressive, vicious animal. It's used to being around humans, it depends on humans for food and it's been out for almost a month."

Thirty-five wild wolves were reintroduced more than a decade ago to Idaho, where they have flourished. The federal Fish and Wildlife Service has said it could lift federal protections by next year, handing over management to the state.

He only learned of this wolf's escape Tuesday after getting a report that it had killed one sheep and injured two others. So far, he says, he hasn't had a good look at the animal.

The woman who owns the wolf, and 19 others kept in fenced pens, didn't report that it was roaming free but confirmed this week that it had escaped, the sheriff said. The woman, whose phone number isn't listed, could not immediately be reached for comment.

Aman said it's legal in Idaho to have wolves if a $10 annual state Department of Fish and Game permit is obtained for each adult animal.

Aman's 12-officer agency has issued alerts to 231 residents in the area along the Snake River where the wolf has been seen roaming in the vicinity of China Ditch, dug a century ago by early Asian immigrants attracted to Owyhee County's rich mines in nearby Silver City.

Aman said he's optimistic federal agents will soon issue a shoot-to-kill order after investigating the livestock deaths.

"My concern is, I've got all these kids standing out on the school bus, walking home at night, kids out playing with their dogs and cats at night," Aman said. "I will protect the people of my county."

Phone calls for comment late Wednesday to the Fish and Wildlife Service in Boise weren't immediately returned.

Good lord, let's let it hurt a kid, because it might be a federally protected wolf. Some people should not be allowed to procreate, and a few shouldn't be allowed to breathe our air.

Maybe that's the same one my dad saw north of Silver City a few months ago. Too bad that was the only time he rode down there and didn't bring his 22.250.

The "woman" who owns this wolf should be heald accountable for any and all damages done. Period. And the State should be sued for letting her keep them in the first place.

Eel

A BIG +1 for that eelgrass.
Why is a duly elected Sheriff waiting on some puke crat to tell him it's okay to protect the people in his county!!

And why are the people waiting! I fear we have lost our way as American's!!
Later
Foghorn

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom