Shipping ammo questions

DonVathome

Very Active Member
Can I ship loose ammo ups (not in boxes)? Tips on shipping? I know it needs the label an has to go ground. Any ideas to ship loose ammo I have a few hundred rounds.

What type are you trying to ship? Rifle, pistol, shotgun??

The short, smart azz answer is yes-no-it depends. I don't know all the ins and outs, and my book doesn't cover individual carrier requirements.

Can't be shipped USPS at all, has to go UPS, FEDEX, or another commercial carrier by ground. Loaded cartridges are considered small arms for HMIS classification, and allowed in limited quantities. Less than 50 caliber, and packages have to stay less than 66 pounds total. It's supposed to be packaged so there is no chance of interaction with primers and accidental detonation, so generally requires a box in a box package. You could always buy the cheap MTM type plastic boxes, and there would be no issues at all. Go to a packing supply store (like Staples or Office Depot, get a bunch of small boxes to put them in neatly all pointing the same direction, and then put those boxes in another outer container. Needs HazMat label, and ORD-M sticker.

Correct answer is to ask the shipper. Also, some UPS stores will not accept it (since they are contractors to UPS); you have to go to the regular UPS Customer Service.

Last edited:
I shipped some loose ammo. I just put them in a plastic bag then pack it with some cloth rags or something to keep the ammo from moving around. Go to ups store and tell them what I am shipping and pay the lady.

You can also vacuum seal loose rounds in a bag to keep them for rolling around. Also good for shipping loose bullets so they can’t spill.

What type are you trying to ship? Rifle, pistol, shotgun??

The short, smart azz answer is yes-no-it depends. I don't know all the ins and outs, and my book doesn't cover individual carrier requirements.

Can't be shipped USPS at all, has to go UPS, FEDEX, or another commercial carrier by ground. Loaded cartridges are considered small arms for HMIS classification, and allowed in limited quantities. Less than 50 caliber, and packages have to stay less than 66 pounds total. It's supposed to be packaged so there is no chance of interaction with primers and accidental detonation, so generally requires a box in a box package. You could always buy the cheap MTM type plastic boxes, and there would be no issues at all. Go to a packing supply store (like Staples or Office Depot, get a bunch of small boxes to put them in neatly all pointing the same direction, and then put those boxes in another outer container. Needs HazMat label, and ORD-M sticker.

Correct answer is to ask the shipper. Also, some UPS stores will not accept it (since they are contractors to UPS); you have to go to the regular UPS Customer Service.
Just a heads up there was a change on 1-1-2021 ORM-D sticker is no longer allowed... must use this new Ground Limited Quantity
Label must be 4"x4" also center only.. No drop boxes or UPS Store ..and has to go ground so that means lower 48 only
ground_ltd_qty.jpg.png

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom