Sheridan or Cody?

T

trophy_killer

To make a long story short there isn't much of a demand for custom cabinetry here in Salmon, Idaho so I've been thinking of relocating to Wyoming. I'd like to continue doing cabinetry but if I had to I could do something else as long as it was construction related since that's pretty much all I know. If you had to choose between Sheridan and Cody which would you choose? I'm like everyone else on here in that I want decent hunting, camping and fishing opportunities as close as possible. However I still need to be able to afford to make a living. So lets hear the good and the bad about both

Cody's a smaller market than Sheridan. Not sure if you could generate enough business with custom cabinetry in either location given what's already established. I do work related activities in both towns. With the economy what it is, I'd say good luck trying to get something full time with decent pay in construction in either area...

Being retired, I would love to live in either area. However, I would have to agree with Triple_BB in that it will be awful tough to make a living in construction and/or custom cabinetry. The big boom in Wyoming is in the coal, gas, and methane fields and if you got into any of those it would probably be at least a full time job that wouldn't allow time for your trade.

im from both areas and work a lot in the sheridan area as an electrican. and things are pretty slow. the housing market is pretty slow and everyone bidding stuff cheap just to keep guys busy. seems like lots of people like to put there money into someting else in there house and then go to home depot for cabients and vanitys.

but there are a few of custom homes that go up, and seems to me the custom building contractor has a fine carptner to do that stuff.

but this is just what i see for the few houses we wire. so my word may not mean much

I live just north of Cody. I have also spent a lot of time in and around Sheridan and also Buffalo. All are very nice communities. Both have great recreational opportunities. The new housing market is about dead in both areas. My son works as a lead man in home construction and has kept busy this summer in and around Powell and Cody. Just a few years ago, he ran his own construction company in this area. I had a working person describe Cody once as "poverty with a view". It isn't cheap to live here. If you want to do work on custom homes, my guess is Cody has more of those type of homes. That being said, it might be a little tough getting your foot in the door.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom