sheep

Chriswy

Well After 22 years of applying I finally drew my area 10 sheep tag. I have never been on a sheep hunt and am considering hiring a guide that I have already spoke with. I would just like anyones thoughts or suggestions if they are willing to share.

If you can swing it nothing wrong w/ going w/ the right guide...it's basically a once-in-a-lifetime hunt. You need to stack all the odds in your favor, but if you know what you're doing and have the support system and time available, DIY is good too.

Dude don't let idiots dissuade you about being a resident and hiring a guide. Sheep generally live in the steepest most inhospitable country known to man. Unless you (or a really good friend) have bomb proof horses or mules and extensive knowledge of sheep and where they live I would highly recommend a guide.

I think it all depends on time (how much can you invest in scouting/hunting), fitness (are in rock solid shape?) and stock (do you have access and the know how to handle horses). If you are missing any of the three, you ought to consider a guide. If you have all three, then unguided is an option. My 2 cents anyway. Enjoy it!

As a NR I have no choice, but if I were a res if I didn't know the area well and have fantastic stock I'd hire a guide. for most it's once in a lifetime.

I'm not sure if Wayne Suda is still outfitting or not but if he is that's who I'd get. Fritz is another great choice.

Stay thirsty my friends

"Dude don't let idiots dissuade you about being a resident and hiring a guide. Sheep generally live in the steepest most inhospitable country known to man. Unless you (or a really good friend) have bomb proof horses or mules and extensive knowledge of sheep and where they live I would highly recommend a guide."

Are you ever sober Eric when ya post?

Those that have never hunted sheep (ressy or non-ressy drawn tags) 'generally'---are always very worthless for any type of advice....Go figure----

Do what ya feel best about and enjoy your Sheep hunt.

Robb

LAST EDITED ON May-04-14 AT 08:57PM (MST)[p]When the sheep timber up they become super tough to find. A guy needs to do what he needs to do to fill a tag.

440sixpack, Did you draw yet?? I thought you had enough points to draw

Nope, 14 people were in with 16 points and 2 drew out. I wasn't one of them.

I figured since the guys with 17 points are in the running for area 5 they'd go for that, but I know 7 of them didn't .

Maybe next year. I think I've said that before.

Stay thirsty my friends

440 said,
"Maybe next year. I think I've said that before."

LOL

We've all used and heard those famous words! It's the attitude that keeps us all in the game! I hope you really do "pop" a sheep tag next year!

Best of luck to those who drew a tag. Do your best with the opportunity.

Luck to all,
Zeke

>Nope, 14 people were in with
>16 points and 2 drew
>out. I wasn't one
>of them.
>
>I figured since the guys with
>17 points are in the
>running for area 5 they'd
>go for that, but I
>know 7 of them didn't
>.
>
>Maybe next year. I think I've
>said that before.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Stay thirsty my friends

Man so close but so far. Well good luck next year and the year after that.. lol

The guy that pulls the sheep apps in wyoming must be a regular in the politics forum......

1283eagle_government.jpg

thanks guys for your input I think my once in a lifetime hunt is going to be with a outfitter. I have heard that Fritz is the man does anyone have expierence with his outfit?

I don't know him personally, but through the outfitter realm...I don't think you could go wrong with him. His name is definitely synonymous with sheep hunting in that area and he's been in there for nearly 30 years if i remember correctly. He will definitely know where to look for the big ones.

One of my best friends went with Fritz in 2008. My buddy has guided for me in Wyoming for almost 20 years, and knows how to hunt. He liked Fritz, the guides and the hunt. Didn't' get a sheep with Fritz, but got one later on his own.

I've got three other friends who are ranchers and are big-time hunters from tough country and have all horses and equipment. They drew, know it is a a once in a lifetime deal and they are all going guided.

I finally drew in 2009 after 32 years of waiting. Went with a friend and got a nice ram. But it is tough and you need to be physically and mentally ready.

Best of luck. And the comments are right; do exactly as you wish.

Chriswy, I had some very good help with the outfitters. If you want any of the research I did, let me know. I had to choose between a few that are the right guys. I'll be in area 5.

Good luck and Congrats man!!!

nocwalker

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-14 AT 08:53AM (MST)[p]

nothing yet on the first go around but did see some amazing country and a few small rams.

64371385096_10204677607042368_1649673602383027223_n.jpg

chriswy,
Was the "first go around" with a bow? How many days? Are you still hunting with Fritz? When's the next trip? Rifle next?

I had a buddy hunt 10 a number of years back but he died last year so I can't even ask him where he went. Sorry.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Zeke

We went up Union Pass a few weeks ago and hiked into some lakes 11,000 - 12,000'. Didn't see any sheep. Caught a lot of fish and a couple guys that were with us from back east got altitude sickness. I told them to drink more beer and not worry about it.

I certainly wouldn't burn a once in a life time tag trying to go it alone in that country if you don't know the area or have the horses and equipment to do it right...

I just picked up on this thread or I would have chimed in earlier. I did not hunt 10 but I did hunt unit 4 with Fritz 10 years ago...(Windriver Mountain Outfitters...notice the name of his outfit).
He has had a main sheep camp in area 10 for several decades and probably knows it better than anyone. If anyone will help you find a sheep in that area, it will likely be Fritz.
I had a great experience and even after 10 years I think of him as a friend. Besides the fact that he is very reasonable in price, especially compared to some others.

It just doesn't get better than high country sheep hunting...IMO

Best of luck.

we went in for five days for the opener for rifle we will try some more later hopefully the nicer rams will come out of their hideouts.

>I just picked up on this
>thread or I would have
>chimed in earlier. I
>did not hunt 10 but
>I did hunt unit 4
>with Fritz 10 years ago...(Windriver
>Mountain Outfitters...notice the name of
>his outfit).
>He has had a main sheep
>camp in area 10 for
>several decades and probably knows
>it better than anyone.
>If anyone will help you
>find a sheep in that
>area, it will likely be
>Fritz.
>I had a great experience and
>even after 10 years I
>think of him as a
>friend. Besides the fact
>that he is very reasonable
>in price, especially compared to
>some others.
>
>It just doesn't get better than
>high country sheep hunting...IMO
>
>Best of luck.

for the first time ever going on a guided hunt I am more than satisfied so far with my expierence with his outfit and his guides. I have had a blast so far and it has just begun!

Thanks everyone for your advice and help If anyone ever needs a great outfitter with great people and great service I would very highly recommended Wind River Mt Outfitters. I was able to hunt 14 different days throughout the season and seen a lot of sheep.
4662image.jpg

6657image.jpg

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom