SHED DOGS

W

wackemstackem

Does any one have any info on training shed dogs. I have a yellow lab, He is almost 2. Is it possible to train him and if so how hard will it be.

Ya Nick, Aarons white lab was bad azz when it came to shed hunting. Wish he still had that dog! I believe fatrooster helped Aaron out alot with his dog, as far as questions and stuff goes. Where are ya Fatrooster??????

I'm in Florida visiting family and eatin' good ole southern farm food not to mention seafood and swamp food. I've probably gained another 10 pounds on top of the 10 pounds I gained from Thanksgiving and the other 10 pounds from Christmas. Instead of calling me fatrooster you may as well start calling me obeserooster, ha ha.
wackemstackem, to get you started look at antlerdogs.com . There are a couple of other websites as well but I can't remember the name of them right now. Just do a search horndogs or bonedogs or antler hunting dogs and these kind of searches will get you started. Then if you want to talk to me I will be back in Nevada next week. Leave me your phone number in a PM and I'll call ya. First and foremost you must teach your dog to "sit" and "stay" on command. These two things are needed for future training. You can learn these two commands in any dog training book but I prefer the book called "Water Dog", because it teaches several other things that will help you in your antler training. All training of dogs depends on the individual dog and how much drive he has and how much he wants to please you especially when he is older. But yes, it IS possible. fatrooster.

Sweet guys, thank you for the input. I will look further in to it. I saw two bucks today that have dropped one side. Lucky for me Wy has a season for sheds so I still have some time.

Im looking forward to it. I have seen some good bucks in my spots and lots more deer than last year. It should be a great shed season.

Um.... I wouldn't recommend doing a google search of "horndogs" if you are using a work computer! Wouldn't want anyone getting into trouble.

Its lonely at the top.... just the way I like it.

wackemstackem, if you talk to FatRooster i'm sure your already finding the bone with your pup. I just started working with my 1 year old male lab also and he already has it figured out. very easy to do just takes a little time and consitency. What i have done is the only time my dog Goose gets a treat is if he brings me a horn back. (and i mean the only time) he now knows the only thing is his life is horns. He is also a bird dog and never lost his instincts, he still points at huns and grouse in the fields. Find the horn Goose!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom