Share some memories.

S

slickrock

So, I'm turning 60 shortly. That means I was born in 1952. Harry Truman was president. For some reason I just got all nostalgic and can remember some of my earliest memories with my dad.

My dad was a good Mormon but he really liked coffee. So I can remember going to Spike Bibies Diner for coffee with my dad in about 1958. It was a converted railroad car. The thing I remember was the punch boards they had. For a nickel you could punch these little papers out & maybe win a rifle.

Later we started going to the Desert Pearl. That was on the other end of town. It was owned by Gail & Evelyn Seegmiller. When you walked in they had a display case with the dancing cavles. I think they ended up giving those calves to the university.

After the Pearl closed me & dad started hitting the China Garden. I was probably old enough to drink coffee by then maybe not.

My son had to settle for Sullivan?s with me. I'll never forget that little redhead kid standing by me in the booth.

Share some memories with your dad if you care to.

Slick

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

Cool story and good topic Slick!!

I had to write a story for school a couple years ago and I think I may have put it on here already but it's one of my favorite memories with my dad so here it is again...

Winter unleashed its fury as my father and I left home for the most memorable hunt of my life. All I had desired for my twelfth birthday was to be at his side when he pursued a mountain lion, also known by football fans as a cougar. As he drove us south on Redwood Road, I could hear the hounds? howling and barking the entire way in the back of his truck. Dancer, Dumpster, Spazz and Ollie knew where we were going and were as excited as I.

Upon arrival, we parked the truck and began unloading snowmobiles in the most miserable winter conditions I have ever seen. After warming up the sleds, we tore off down the trail. Within thirty minutes the hounds sounded off, signaling that they smelled something to chase. We flicked on our flashlights as we stiffly crawled off our sleds and began searching the snow for tracks. Dad found tracks and said they belonged to a big lion. We released the dogs and listened to them follow Dumpster up and around the mountain for nearly an hour before they were out of earshot. After another hour of trying to keep warm, the sun finally rose to warm my delighted and frozen face. Dad gave me an idiot's guide to his radio tracking system and we located the dogs a mile away.

We drove our way toward the dogs until the sleds could go no further; we then set out on foot through the deep snow to find them. I could hear the hounds? barks growing louder with each step and the anticipation placed a machine gun in my chest where my heart once pulsed. Finally I caught a glimpse of Dancer jumping and barking at the base of a giant tree. As I peered up, up into the tree, I locked eyes with the lion. Surprised to see me, he immediately jumped down fifty feet into the deep powder. I stood in complete shock and watched my domesticated canines swarm the wild feline.

After a ground fight of mere seconds, the cougar evaded the dogs and began running down a deep canyon to my left. My father and I ran to the edge just in time to see the lion make it to the bottom and start up the other side. The hounds were on the lion?s tail the entire way up until the lion finally treed again. We hiked our way over and watched the lion for more than two hours.

We did not shoot the treed cat, as dad had only a pursuit tag, but that day was by far the most fun of my life. Seeing that predator at such a close distance, as a young kid, in the wild was an amazing feeling such that I will never forget.

~Z~

Thanks ~Z~ those stories never get old. Big difference between truth & bullsh!t.

Slick

growing up my parents divorced when i was 8. my dad went work overseas in the oilfield. once a year if we were luck he would come by and get us. take us to eat what ever we wanted then go visit our grandpaw. after that he would bring us home and say ill see yall in a year. sometimes it was 2-3 years before he came back. thats all i can remember of him. he is still around retired and living north of houston, tx. i see him from time to time buts its a 2 day drive for me.

I have a lifetime of memories with my Dad and still making them...he's 78 and I'm 55..will be going to see him at the end of the month...its fun to get together and B.S. about all the stuff we've done together and other family involved especially the hunting crusades some are pretty comical...
He put us three kids on our shetland ponies once and here we are all spread out diddy boppin thru the brush and all you see is these youngersters with 30-30's bobbin' along and no horse..he said it was pretty comical..

For me there is nothing better than sharing hunting stories with my Dad. Some of the best memories I have is when I was in elementary school or middle school during the deer hunt on the days that it would be snowing in the moring then start to clear up, my Dad would always come and get me out of school with my clothes already in the truck and away we went hunting. For him, if the deer hunt was going and it snowed you dropped everything and went hunting. One particular time when he came and got me out of school we headed to our favorite canyon when it had snowed. We hiked in there and it seemed like there were deer everywhere and a lot of bucks as well. The part I remember as if it was yessterday was we came over a little cliff on a ridge, on the opposite side there were a few nice 4 points with 2 that really stood out, both were pushing the 30" mark. I was probably 8 or so and was freaking out telling my dad to shoot one, but he didn't. We watched them for several minutes as they worked up over the ridge and out of sight. After they were gone I asked him why he didn't shoot and he said they wouldn't make the wall, meaning they had to be 30"+. At the time that didn't make any sense to me, but now looking back since he has 4 on his wall and several more that should be there but he gave them away I see why he was a little picky. He explained that it wasn't about killing something, but that it was making a memory. That has been alomst 24 years ago but I remember it like yesterday.

Way to many memories to put on here but I'm turning 55 this year and dad passed away in 2004. He was my father, my mentor, my hero, my best friend and my best man in my wedding. He taught me all the good things about hunting and I will always love him for that gift. Spend as much time with your loved ones as possible because it goes by way to fast.

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

I'm 65 now, but started tagging along with my dad on his hunting trips (especially for deer). He's been gone now three hunting seasons, and I posted this before on a different thread.
The first season without him,I made a kind of shrine which I will put up whenever I have a deer camp. Both the picture with a nice buck and my "half-a-buck" mount have special meaning and stories behind them. Also when I see it in camp each day, a flood of memories keep coming back about all our adventures together with family and friends.
6812151.jpg

One of my best memories was the first buck I ever killed, a tiny forked horn.

Dad wasn't a hunter but he knew I loved the outdoors and hunting, so he took me out one opening day.

We were headed home with my buck and got stopped at a check station. The warden saw my little buck and said "You can't tell me that you saw that was a forked horn when you shot it" (only forked horn or better was legal). I told him "Yes sir, I sure did". The warden said "I find that hard to believe"

My Dad got right up in his face and said "Is that a legal buck or isn't it?" The warden said "Well, yes" My Dad said "Then I suggest you STFU and validate the tag!" The warden never said another word.

My Dad would have beat him senseless if he had responded. I remember thinking how lucky that warden was.

Eel

JUDAS Eel!

No wonder you're so Onery with Wardens!:D

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

Eel, I would be proud of my Dad if he did that as well.

Pretty bad that a warden would try to mess up your big day like that.

>One of my best memories was
>the first buck I ever
>killed, a tiny forked horn.
>
>
>Dad wasn't a hunter but he
>knew I loved the outdoors
>and hunting, so he took
>me out one opening day.
>
>
>We were headed home with my
>buck and got stopped at
>a check station. The warden
>saw my little buck and
>said "You can't tell me
>that you saw that was
>a forked horn when you
>shot it" (only forked horn
>or better was legal). I
>told him "Yes sir, I
>sure did". The warden said
>"I find that hard to
>believe"
>
>My Dad got right up in
>his face and said "Is
>that a legal buck or
>isn't it?" The warden said
>"Well, yes" My Dad said
>"Then I suggest you STFU
>and validate the tag!" The
>warden never said another word.
>
>
>My Dad would have beat him
>senseless if he had responded.
>I remember thinking how lucky
>that warden was.
>
>Eel

Well!

All I can figure is that Eel got real offended when that Warden asked him how he seen the horns on that PISSCUTTER!:D

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

My Dad used to take me out of grade school so I could go along on avalanche shoots when there was a big snowstorm and the resultant avalanche cycle. (my Dad spent 35 years first as a USFS Snow Ranger and then as a Researcher working with snow avalanches). CDOT had a 75mm pack howitzer that they would use to get the big slides to come down on I-70. While they were setting up I used to wander around behind them, I knew I wasn't supposed to get too close, bother anyone, or get in front of the muzzle. A 'new' highway patrolmen saw me and came out and grabbed me and told me to get back to my Parents car. I remember one of the CDOT guy's telling to cop to back off because the shoot wasn't happening without Jud's kid being there. I was always really proud of my Dad, he seemed like Superman. It was pretty cool for an 8 year old to see the howitzer go off and the occasional 3000' vertical snow slide cross the highway roaring along and breaking mature trees off. They never let me pull the lanyard though.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-20-12 AT 04:59PM (MST)[p]Some Great Stories for sure!

Like many of you my father was a hard blue collar worker. He had his own welding business that consisted of him and me. No multiple trucks or any employees, just us. He worked mostly oil rigs and pipelines in Wyoming and would let me tag along to ?help? and earn a few dollars. We never had the most, but he took me hunting or fishing almost every weekend. We have hunted everything from rabbits to Alaskan Moose and I have been fortunate enough to take him to a few places outside of Wyoming. He has been there for my son?s first deer and elk, and only hope he will be around for years to come.

I am not sure I have one favorite memory, but there does not seem to be a week that goes by that I do not think of a hunt, fishing trip, ATV trip or camping trip with him. I am very lucky that he is still around at 70 along with my grandpa whom is 95.

But I guess the thing that sticks out the most is what would turn out to be the start of MANY great memories. I still remember the morning we were going on my first rabbit hunt and I had slept in my hunting clothes the night before. I felt I had to be ready and I was going to give it 110%. He simply came into my room to wake me, like he would end up doing a hundred time in the future, and he just put a hand on my shoulder and say ?Son it is time to go?. I think that led to so many great memories.

Thanks Dad!

Me, my son and my old man!

5609copy_of_img_2453.jpg

Yep, some great stories for sure. I only had dad for a short time, he passed on just as I entered High School, but his teachings and the memories we shared still live on. He was on my mind quite a bit the night I wrote the following...

MY MENTOR

I would guess most of us had a mentor of some sorts who took our hand and walked us through the door leading to the wonderful world of hunting. Mine was my dad. Over the years I have often wondered if he did it to purposefully introduce me to that magical lifestyle or simply to have someone to accompany him, as I know he mostly hunted alone until I could follow along. It really doesn't matter I guess, the outcome was still the same for me.

My earliest memories are of tromping through the fields chasing doves. I must have been a tender 5 or 6, but I still remember insisting to hold a double he took one morning. I cradled both birds in my small hands, the soft warm feathers filling my fingers with awe and wonder while etching the day and the Hunt deep inside my memory. It was but a hint of a lifestyle to come spanning several decades. I will be forever grateful to Pops for letting me tag along that particular path in life?

We, as hunters, often express our thoughts of what hunting means to us in many ways: To be in the woods with family and friends sharing the bounties and beauty of nature: The telling of stories long passed by others who touched our hunting lives over a crackling campfire the night before the hunt: Witnessing things in the forests and mountains that others couldn't begin to dream of. Some who don't hunt would say we could experience the same things with a camera instead of a gun or bow and arrow and not have to kill to do the same thing. I can understand where they might be coming from, but the thing is I don't believe those folks really comprehend the ?entire experience? we as hunters truly do.

Pops taught me at a very early age it would be up to ME to make sure I could continue to enjoy and even come to love the world of hunting. He instilled in me the truth that I must be the steward of my hunting realm, and do all those things necessary to take care of my quarry and their habitat in such a way as to respect and insure their existence. He taught me I HAD to do my part and not simply leave it in the hands of others and hope they would treat this great heritage as I would. Though I only had a few short years with him, I continue to live by his teachings, even though it has been nearly 5 decades.

I have watched the sun rise more times than I can remember, and so many of them have taken my breath away with their utter beauty. But none have been so wondrous as those I have witnessed while hunting. While hunting, dawn is not simply the herald of the morn: it is the herald that pumps the blood, quickens the nerves, and sharpens the eyes of the hunter! It brings with it anticipation of the days hunt, of what will or will not be. Whether there will be life or death by our own hand. Sure, that sounds a bit dramatic, but I think it's true for the most part. It's something the bird watcher or photographer simply can't comprehend. I see the same beauty and animals that they do, but with different eyes?

One of my favorite times in the woods while hunting is what I call the ?magic hour of silence?. First time I remember it was on a deer hunt with Pops, I must have been about 13 or 14. It always happens late morning, and always when I have stopped to rest, or to just simply take in my surroundings. I don't know whether I am the cause, or if this magical time causes me to stop and take notice. The air becomes still and full, not so much as a leaf moves. One by one, the birds are silenced; the chipmunks and squirrels freeze like statues. The light seems to float on the air, misting through the trees like an apparition. My ears prick for the slightest sound but none comes. The silence is almost overwhelming. My eyes scan all around me but nothing moves. I can hear the soft rhythm of my heartbeat, and I too become as the forest, frozen and unyielding.

As quickly as it came, it departs with the first rustle of leaves; a soft breeze against my face; the chirp of a bird. The light becomes focused and true. I always smile when I stand and continue my hunt, knowing I have witnessed something special once again.

Thanks Pops, for showing me the way of the hunter?

www.unitedwildlifecooperative.org

Oh my! Is it ok if I save that post stillhunterman?
Rarely do we get to read something truly special.

Thanks,
Slick

Stillhunterman, your words reach into the heart and then reach even deeper, into the soul. They pull out from our inner core what draws us, sometimes without really consciously knowing why, to the outdoors. I hope we all have those moments, that can only be appreciated to the depth that you have so beautifully expressed. Thanks for sharing.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-21-12 AT 11:25PM (MST)[p]

Edit- some BS stories about the jackasz that raised me- aint worth a public forum.

Some dads are just pricks. Don't be that guy!

Edit#2- I wasted the post I was saving unti Feb 2 2222...

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom