Setup/draw

bchap05

LAST EDITED ON Sep-09-16 AT 12:13PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-09-16 AT 10:30?AM (MST)

Called my first bull ever in this week with my mouth diaphragm. Nice 5 pt came in from over 1000 yards out, came flying in tongue out ready to go. I got him to 12 yards and ended up spooking him. Pretty sick about it.

I have rifle hunted most of life and started doing archery 2 years ago. Haven't shot anything yet but had a few close opportunities.

In the excitement I apparently forgot about setup and drawing my bow without being seen. I was in sage brush so I didn't have much cover. So I tried hiding behind it. My dad's buddy told me I should be in front of cover so I can see not behind. Which would have helped as I wouldn't have lost sight of the bull as he came over the nob and then popped up 11 yards away.

What are some good set up and when to draw tips? Also I'm usually calling for myself. So the bull was pin pointed on my location. Would it be better to move a bit to the side after my last call when I know he is on way in but, still far out so he won't see me move? So I have a shot without him coming directly at me.

AWESOME there is NO best set up , some will say do this or do that . But it doesn't matter that animal is gonna do Exactly opposite 99% of the time !! In my experience any way !! You have to always make sure that where ever you set up ,that you can draw your bow back with out hitting anything side of you . I always try & have a tree or some brush behind me to break up my outline . But I have been Busted more times than I can to say !! As far as when to draw your bow again not always the same I have drawn many times when the bull coming is 50 yards away coming hot & heavy ONLY to have him hold up at 35 yards behind the only brush pile or tree for 40 yards. Good luck its 99% trial & error

The moment you hear one coming in, draw back, the moment I see horns even if 100 yards away I draw back. Been burned too many times by no drawing back early enough.

Don't be too disgusted with yourself, I messed up on a 330 bull Sunday, it woulda been my first archery bull and possibly the bull of a lifetime in Idaho.

Good work getting that 5x5 in, drawing and shooting lanes seem to be the hard part for sure. I'm sure you'll figure it out with more encounters.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom