Senate votes 17-16 for new big-game tags

swampmule

BOISE, Idaho ? Senators voted 17-16 to give hunters more chances to open their wallets for exclusive opportunities to shoot big game.

Friday's narrowest of victory margins underscores lawmakers' concern such high-priced tags turn over Idaho wildlife to the wealthy few.

Sen. Steve Bair of Blackfoot argued the chance to raise $200,000 annually for the Department of Fish and Game by creating 12 "Governor's Big Game Auction Tags" for elk, sheep, goats, moose and antelope couldn't be ignored.

Passage came despite the Idaho Fish and Game Commission's recent vote against the measure.

Foes feared offering expensive tags to the highest bidder at private auctions tinkers with Idaho's legacy of preserving big game for everyone, not just the privileged few.

Pocatello Sen. Diane Bilyeu called it elitist.

The measure now goes to the House.

OK Sportsmen and Sportswomen if you don't want to see this become law you need to wright and call your Legislator and ask them to Vote NO on this Bill.I have will you. Idaho wildlife is not only for the rich.

The surprising thing about young fools is how many survive to become old fools.

What they are failing to see is the state already has so many "super" tags that in my opinion they are not all that "super" any more. Are they good tags yes! I will admit that whole heatedly. I don't see tags going for the prices that they want to get. Less people every year want a tag here for what ever reason. Something is driving them away. This is an honest question to anyone with a thick wallet.

Why would a big wallet kind of guy want a Governor tag to compete with ALL the "super" tag guys and regular tag holders?

What can the F&G possibly offer the Governor tag holders to sweeten the pot to make them drop big money?
Ron

I agree with Ron, not much in the state of Idaho to draw big money with, maybe a sheep tag or goat. Very few if any areas managed with quality anything in mind!!

"What they are failing to see is the state already has so many "super" tags that in my opinion they are not all that "super" any more. Are they good tags yes! I will admit that whole heatedly. I don't see tags going for the prices that they want to get. Less people every year want a tag here for what ever reason. Something is driving them away. This is an honest question to anyone with a thick wallet.
Why would a big wallet kind of guy want a Governor tag to compete with ALL the "super" tag guys and regular tag holders?

What can the F&G possibly offer the Governor tag holders to sweeten the pot to make them drop big money?
Ron"

-------------

"I agree with Ron, not much in the state of Idaho to draw big money with, maybe a sheep tag or goat. Very few if any areas managed with quality anything in mind!!"

--------------
the quality of the tags, nor the potential price they may fetch is not the issue...

Could not be more opposed to this type of horse$hit. You bet your ass I'll call....More than once.

As usual, LOL @ destoyer.

Your money buys you a chance to HUNT in Idaho. Unlike other states where you simply toss your money in the toilet for tiny chance at a decent hunt.

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

>the quality of the tags, nor
>the potential price they may
>fetch is not the issue...
>

Sure it is, along with our big game should not be for sale to the highest bidder. The only reason they are even bringing it up is to increase revenue. The post said they think that the tags will bring an extra 200,000 dollars.

The second issue that stinks is the whoring out of a few units. If the tag quality is perceived as being not that great the price will fall. If the revenue is too low then more tags will be added further reducing the the quality and price.

I have sent emails legislators saying our game should not be for sale. It looks like they got a different idea. Ron

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-12 AT 10:23PM (MST)[p]GSJ, I just noticed your IP information is the same and Deepforks. Are you guys the same guy?

Ron

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-12 AT 11:10PM (MST)[p]Laugh all ya want my man, whether they do this or not is pretty much out of my control. But if I were to buy a gov tag, Idaho would be pretty low on my list!

By the way you forgot the R, that would be destroyer to to you!!

>LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-12
>AT 10:23?PM (MST)

>
>GSJ, I just noticed your IP
>information is the same and
>Deepforks. Are you guys the
>same guy?
>
>Ron

no. quit stalking me.

and you are incorrect about the price and quality of the tags. i am like everyone else on this issue. we should not be whoring out our critters. That, right there, is the point. where the tag is and what it fetches are secondary.

Here is what the OP said above.

"Sen. Steve Bair of Blackfoot argued the chance to raise $200,000 annually for the Department of Fish and Game by creating 12 "Governor's Big Game Auction Tags" for elk, sheep, goats, moose and antelope couldn't be ignored."

So how am I incorrect I am just commenting on what was posted?

I disagree about price and location. There are a hand full of units that are taking a hickey on the whole super tag and now the Governor tag thing. If location and price are not a factor then I would like to see how much a tag would cost if unit 40,42,44,45, 52,and 54 were not available to Super tags and Governor tags for deer. I would also like to see how many tags would be sold for elk if the southern border hunts were not allowed in the mix.

He!! yes location and price are important. If all super tags and governor tags had to be hunted in unit 43, 48, and 49 how many would want them and how much would they bring. The fact is they would not be setting any records. Ron

the main point i am trying to make are those units and potential prices are a secondary issue. the primary issue is the legal auctioning of these tags....which i think we all agree should not happen. if we can stop it, who cares about the price and such (secondary).

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom