seep ridge road closed.

justr_86

Long Time Member
They closed the road this morning because of high water from the green and white rivers. It will be closed until water levels come down and the road is deemed safe to travel on. I thought I would post this here incase you were planning a trip to the bookcliffs, if you were then you will want to find an alternate route.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-11 AT 04:35PM (MST)[p]I am sure that will save some people a long trip!

Many years ago,(I think 1983)a few friends and I were baiting the Books for bears. We left Salt Lake City about 7 pm on a Friday evening loaded with a bunch of bait in my truck. We drove across the Green River Bridge (it was now about midnight) and the road, just after crossing the bridge, was covered with water.

My truck was loaded with a dead cow, a friend, who owned a dairy, had given me. We hated to go all the way back to Duchesne, and up Hay Canyon from I-70, so we turned around and headed back till we saw a house, in Oray, with a light on. I pulled my truck over and and I walked to the door and knocked on the door and talked to the guy who lived there. He told me the oil trucks were going through the water and had set up poles on each side of the road, so one knew where to drive. I was much younger and a bit dumber (just maybe on that one) so we turned around and headed back to take the seep ridge road.

Things went good for about the first few hundred yards, then the water started to get deeper and deeper. Soon there were no poles, so one of my buddies got out and started walking in from of the truck so I could tell were the road was. Slowly we moved on and soon the water was up to his crotch and soon up to a about half the cheeks of his but. It was pitch black with the exceptions of my headlights and soon the water was running over the transmission hump in my truck and I could hear the fan blades hitting the water. After what seemed like an eternity we came to the White River and could finally see the road again.

When we returned, in two days, the river had dropped about a food so it was not so bad going back, and at least it was daylight.

It cost me about 100 bucks in those days to get all my gears boxes and transmission oils changed. I learned I would never do that again, and I would advise others to not to do it.

Have a good one. BB

I guess they should have raised the roads a few more feet and put more culverts in. Its pretty crazy, I have some pictures from yesterday but I can't post them from my phone. If I can email them to someone for them to post I'd be glad to! Any takers?

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I'll try justr!

This Erring SOB won't always let me but I'll try!

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

LAST EDITED ON Jun-11-11 AT 02:23AM (MST)[p]Gonna try it justr!

5264ouray_2.jpg

I rotated it but sometimes that don't look right?

1024ouray.jpg

EDIT:::Oh Hell you guys are fine,you can still see the Power Poles!:D

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

I wish they would leave it open, gotta go to vernal down the bonanza highway across glen bench down to the middle road across to seep ridge and back to the road closed sign and out across the boxcar bridge... 105 miles one way 2.5 hours with traffic... It was taking me 45 minutes to an hour when the road was open...

The road is starting to give a bit from the semi's, I wouldnt be suprised if they have to replace the road. Hopefully when they do they raise it up more and put more culverts in! It doesnt look like it will be opening any time soon either...

The water off the edges of the road is 6-7 foot deep fast so if you got off the road at all you would be in trouble.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

HEY JUSTR86.....CAN A GUY MAKE ENTRY TO HUNT THE BOOKS FROM THE HAY CANYON ROAD (I-70) OR IS THAT NOT A GOOD ROAD TO DRIVE ??? IT JUST MAKES MORE SINCE TO ME FROM MY DIRECTION. I GUESS I WILL SEE MORE OF THE BOOKS FROM THE OURAY TOP ENTRY SEEP RD. WAY.....THANKS,.....YD.

Yukon, ya you can but I have never personally done it. I know it van be scary if its wet and its narrow so hope you don't meet a semi on it.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

OK.....GOOD ADVICE !!! I ASSUME ITS THE THOMPSON EXIT....IF I GET A CHANCE TO SCOUT IT..........THANKS AGAIN.......YD.

Yukon

Hay Canyon is not that bad of a road I have taken it quite alot. If that is easier from your place take it.

If you would like more info. send me a PM

I would hesitate to try and pull a trailer longer than a standard four-wheeler trailer or horse trailer up for the I-70 side. It is steep with plenty of switch backs. It can be done, but may be a little scary in a few spots.

I have come in from both sides and recommend coming in from the Roosevelt side if you are pulling a travel trailer, etc.

EH96......I WILL BE PULLING A SMALL 8 FOOT TRAILER, SOUNDS LIKE THE HAY CANYON ROAD MIGHT BE OK FOR ME. QUESTION.....IS THE HAY CANYON ROAD ACCESSED BY THE THOMPSON EXIT.......THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.....YD. (MAPS BEING ORDERED).

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-11
>AT 04:35?PM (MST)

>
>I am sure that will save
>some people a long trip!
>
>
>Many years ago,(I think 1983)a few
>friends and I were baiting
>the Books for bears.
>We left Salt Lake City
>about 7 pm on a
>Friday evening loaded with a
>bunch of bait in my
>truck. We drove across
>the Green River Bridge (it
>was now about midnight) and
>the road, just after crossing
>the bridge, was covered with
>water.
>
>My truck was loaded with a
>dead cow, a friend, who
>owned a dairy, had given
>me. We hated to
>go all the way back
>to Duchesne, and up Hay
>Canyon from I-70, so we
>turned around and headed back
>till we saw a house,
>in Oray, with a light
>on. I pulled my
>truck over and and I
>walked to the door and
>knocked on the door and
>talked to the guy who
>lived there. He told
>me the oil trucks were
>going through the water and
>had set up poles on
>each side of the road,
>so one knew where to
>drive. I was much
>younger and a bit dumber
>(just maybe on that one)
>so we turned around and
>headed back to take the
>seep ridge road.
>
>Things went good for about the
>first few hundred yards, then
>the water started to get
>deeper and deeper. Soon
>there were no poles, so
>one of my buddies got
>out and started walking in
>from of the truck so
>I could tell were the
>road was. Slowly we
>moved on and soon the
>water was up to his
>crotch and soon up to
>a about half the cheeks
>of his but. It
>was pitch black with the
>exceptions of my headlights and
>soon the water was running
>over the transmission hump in
>my truck and I could
>hear the fan blades hitting
>the water. After what
>seemed like an eternity we
>came to the White River
>and could finally see the
>road again.
>
>When we returned, in two days,
>the river had dropped about
>a food so it was
>not so bad going back,
>and at least it was
>daylight.
>
>It cost me about 100 bucks
>in those days to get
>all my gears boxes and
>transmission oils changed. I
>learned I would never do
>that again, and I would
>advise others to not to
>do it.
>
>Have a good one. BB

Why would any one haul a dead cow all the way from Salt Lake when you can pick up two or three just south of the bridge?

I talked to one of the last guys through before they closed the road. He was driving a 550 and water was running over the tops of the front tires on the truck, and its deeper now.

I'm betting the road will still be closed the time the hunts rolla around....

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

The Hay Canyon route is not bad at all. It is less mileage on a dirt road and the road is not bad at all until you get to the switchbacks where is does become narrow.

Yukon. I used the Westwater exit ( I believe) to get to Hay canyon and up that way. Basically, almost Colorado border before the turn off. Roughly 40 miles more east from the Moab, UT turn off on I-70.

You should be fine with a 8 ft trailer. I just wouldn't try anything more than about 18ft. But, that is just me.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom