Seely Lake

M

mallardduc

Looking for info on Elk and Mule Deer in the Seely Lake Area. Headed out in November for a trip with friends and this will be our third trip to the area and looking to expand some. Any info will be appriciated. Thanks

Not a real smoking hot elk spot. They are around that area but one or two out of a party of 5 or 6 would be a pretty good success rate. To not kill an elk wouldn't surprise me either.

Thanks. Any ideas for a good area to try? Also trying to find a mule deer or two. Thanks again.

IF I was going to the Seeley Lake area, I'd look for a big whitetail not and elk or a muley. I've been thru the area a few times and I always saw good whitetail. I know they were knocked back a few years ago with a bad winter and I don't know how they've recovered in the last year.
Kurtski25

If I was looking for elk, I'd try and hunt as far south as I could (watch out for the gamerange, you need a special tag) towards the blackfoot or over towards Ovando. I wouldn't go north of Seely, the farther you get down the Swan valley, the less elk you will find as a general rule.

As far as muleys go, you'll probably find most of them on the Swan range side of the valley, and they could be anywhere along that side. The biggest problem is getting up high.

As somebody else said, you're in good whitetail country, but there are much better places to chase elk and mule deer in Montana than the Seeley area

The state record Typical Whitetail came from the Seeley Lake area. Great place for some nice whitetail action.

How'd it go?

Sounds like there was a pretty good elk harvest compared to normal up there, and I heard of some slob whitetail getting killed as well.

A lot more elk than in past years. Saw lot south of seely but no shooters. Saw several that were harvested however. Whitetails were non-exsistant were we were hunting and most othe other hunters had the same impression. We did go a week earlier that normal but the trend in population is down.

Hate to sound like everyone else but the wolves are out of control. Saw one chasing a doe at the golf course in Seely! Also saw 3 kill a small buck on the air strip in Condon. These were both in the broad daylight.

I hate what has happened out there. Hopefully it will change somehow. Two trips to Montana hunting this year for a total of 18 days of hunting and saw not one legal bull elk, 2 shooter mule deer but not in 270 and didnt have a tag for 270 and no whitetails that I cant see at my lease in Georgia.

Love Montana but the future is bleak in the areas that I have traditionally hunted.

Good luck to everyone!

Foy

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom