Seeking Wisdom

2lumpy

Long Time Member
The plywood on this 10’ ATV trailer has rotted away. I’m going to replace it with 2x6 or 2x12 Fir. I have both, so cost is not part of the decision.

Most of these I see are made with 2x6. Is one better than another, or is the 2x6 just less expensive for the original manufacturer?

Anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks.

BB43F512-75C1-420B-B962-6D2597FEDFD5.jpeg

Just replaced mine not too long ago with 2x8. Between the two I'd use the 2x12 if you have it... no particular reason other than fit. Self drilling fasteners make it quick & easy

Treated 2x6 or 2x8. I've been advised not to use undercoating for this type of application due to the nature of trapping water.

Excellent recommendations. Thank you very much.

I don’t have any pressure treated lumber but I’m certainly not opposed to buying some, if it makes a big difference in longevity.

Regarding self tapping screws. Those are what I removed when I pulled the plywood off. I have some light weight drills and a medium weight hammer drill. Will any of that kind of drill, drive those screws in?

Also, have you found one brand of screw anymore efficient than another, when it comes to putting them through the metal cross beams?

I don’t have any pressure treated lumber but I’m certainly not opposed to buying some, if it makes a big difference in longevity.

Regarding self tapping screws. Those are what I removed when I pulled the plywood off. I have some light weight drills and a medium weight hammer drill. Will any of that kind of drill, drive those screws in?

Also, have you found one brand of screw anymore efficient than another, when it comes to putting them through the metal cross beams?

I'd secure the cross 2 x's to the frame and cross beams with carriage bolts and nuts if it were me.

use what you got....how old are you?

I’d use carriage bolts personally. You live in a pretty dry climate. Pressure treated would last longer but put some sealer on that fir and you’ll be good for quite a while

my utility trailer uses heavy expanded metal floor. no drainage problem there. same stuff u have on your tailgate.

use what you got....how old are you?
Weeeeeeeell…… I won’t be 75 until midnight but I never “actually” said it was my trailer. LOL.

I’m just fixing it for a friend……… an he won’t be 80 until after the first of Sept. LOL.

But, as usual, there is wisdom to your point! , I’m just not yet used to buying milk based on my age………. thanks.

He's 80? He won't need treated wood at his age.
I’m sure he’s not going to out live this rebuild, regardless what of I make it out of but he’s still got some juice left. Hell, if their not careful, SS!’s GenX scientists are gonna keep us boomers going for another 40 years. Now, won’t that piss them off!!!!!

Maybe I should take Katoon’s recommendation and make it out of heavy expanded metal, just for pure orneriness. ?

Belated thanks again to everyone who offered assistance. It went back together without a hitch. Went with new treated 2x6 and the self tapping metal screws, two on each cross beam, used new 10 x 30 weigh motor oil, 6 coats. Replaced the tongue jack. (Not showing in the picture.). $16.27 each, for the treated 2x6, 14 of them, and $40.00 for the 80 metal tapping screws, and $83.00 for the new jack.

The meanest piece was removing and replacing the C Clamp on the jack. That sucker made me sweat!!!

FC9E8EFE-57C1-44F4-95CE-D55BE59FB7C5.jpeg

DF3D89FD-051B-432B-9C90-161394E9DD35.jpeg

5AC92EED-2B0A-4002-9640-8FA543BDA075.jpeg

Belated thanks again to everyone who offered assistance. It went back together without a hitch. Went with new treated 2x6 and the self tapping metal screws, two on each cross beam, used new 10 x 30 weigh motor oil, 6 coats. Replaced the tongue jack. (Not showing in the picture.). $16.27 each, for the treated 2x6, 14 of them, and $40.00 for the 80 metal tapping screws, and $83.00 for the new jack.

The meanest piece was removing and replacing the C Clamp on the jack. That sucker made me sweat!!!

View attachment 80532

View attachment 80533

View attachment 80534
Looks good Lumpster! I guess everything costs more these days.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom