SE Montana Antelope

rifleman

last year i hunted mule deer in the broadus area with success. i noticed a lot of antelope and lots of public land. i've hunted wyoming in the past and seen lots of good antelope there. i hope to get drawn and maybe get a chance at a good montana buck this year. last year my deer hunting party filled our antelope doe tags easily. is SE montana considered good antelope hunting by most?

Rifleman,

I have 2 friends that have ranches near Broadus and can tell you that after the shooting starts the antelope end up on their places because they don't hunt them. I have hunted Broadus for about 12 years and hunted in Wyoming for antelope for about 5 years. The antelope seem to be increasing around Broadus and seem to be doing well. With that being said I have not seen the quality and quality of bucks that I see in Wyoming. I always put in for Antelope in Wyoming and am thinking about pulling the trigger and trying to get a tag in MT because of what I have seen the last few years. Most of the antelope I see in Broadus are on private ground. Good luck whatever you decide, I will be in Broadus the last week of November.

Rich

well, i guess we may give a try anyway. if we get drawn, we'll be hunting the first part of the second week (oct.15-17th). last year when we hunted, it was around oct. 26ish. there seemed to be very little hunting pressure then. we had very little trouble sneaking up on a couple of different groups and shooting does. one time in fact, we shot a doe out of heard of 12 bucks. i know there is a lot of public land around broadus, especially if you are willing to walk a little.

You will be able to find some speed goats. Don't worry about it, I would apply for sure. There are many landowners that would let you on to shoot one of those rats. Also, check the Block Management Maps. You should have no trouble killing a few goats while your there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom