SE Idaho

nehuntr147

I have my first elk hunt this year in SE Idaho in the Bannock Unit. I am starting to put together my camo for this trip. Does anybody have some knowledge on what kind of weather I can expect? The trip middle/late September and we will be hunting 6500-7500' elevation. Any tips would be great.

Anybody Else hunt the Bannock Unit on here?

Good luck on your hunt!!

I like polyester in just about everything i wear while hunting. I can't speak much about camo patterns, as a rule, i don't wear much but i have found thru the years that 100% polyester material is the stuff i look for when buying and want to hunt in if i can.

The best part of it? Even if completely soaked, it drys out very fast and will keep you warm.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Layers, layers, layers! Mid September CAN bring temperatures in the 80s to well below freezing with snow! Rainstorms are not uncommon. Layers are the key to hunting. Saturday I was on the mountain and it was 75 at noon, and 56 at 7:30. It was probably down in the upper 30s by Sunday morning, and it was Aug 16th!

Where are you from Nehunter, Nebraska?

I live in the Bannock zone, and wouldn't waste my resident free elk tag archery hunting here! There were only 34 elk killed by archers last year in the zone (probably 5-8% success rate). Tough unit to elk hunt, IMO. Very few elk that are scattered and move a lot. Lots of private land to deal with too.

That being said , if you are hunting with someone familiar with the zone that has some honey holes, or are you using an outfitter, you might do OK?

Good luck to you!

Yes I am from NE, more specifically Lincoln. I was out there last year and hunted mule deer with a rifle about 10 miles west of the upper end of the Blackfoot Reservoir. This was my first mule deer and first big game hunt outside of NE.

I will be hunting with a friend who lives in Blackfoot and is originally from the Lava Hot Springs area. They have been scouting around the Chesterfield area and have found some cows but haven't seen any bulls so hopefully come the rut something will show up, but for my first elk I would be more than happy with taking a cow or even a calf.

Thanks for the weather advice, on my mule deer hunt last year I remember the mornings being in the low 30s and the days pushing 70. Sounds it could be very similar.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom