Scouting Report S Central Idaho

BPKHunter

Very Active Member
Went to look for deer/elk in an LE draw unit friday night and saturday. As most would imagine, the green up is amazing. There is much more snow than usual up high, and the peaks are just greening up. The deer numbers seemed to be lower than expected, though we saw probably 100 deer. Last years fawns, made up about 10-15% of the group, which is less than half what I would expect, but maybe more than some other areas. We saw about 20 bucks total, including ~5 4pt's. They have most of their width and the most mature bucks all had only about 2-4" of forks, so still a lot of height to attain. Only saw about 6 spotted fawns, which was much less than expected. Watched one set of twins, that could not have been more than a few days old....very cute! Watched one doe chase a coyote probably 600 yards down the mountain at FULL speed, trying to smash it with her front hooves...very funny. I had my 25-06 to help with coyotes, but he was a mile away.

Saw 2 groups of elk, no branched bulls though. Yearling calves/spikes seemed about average at 30-40% of the herd, but NO small calves yet, though I expect they may still be with their mom's hidden away from the herd for a while longer. On my annual 4th of july camping trip up near McCall I always see a number of cow's off away from the herd with little spotted new born's in holed up in secluded brush parks.

What are you guys seeing out there in terms of yearling and new fawns/calves.

Thanks for the report! I don't usually get to do my scouting until mid July cause the snow levels hasn't let the bulls bucks back into the canyons we hunt. Glad to see you have been out. I am starting to go stir crazy. Keep the reports coming!

Been seeing a few bucks. Seen one in June that was already as wide as his ears and had alot of girth. The photo was taken June 3rd.
8399big_buck.jpg

Here's a unit 45 buck seen one that would score much better but he didn't give us time to get a picture.Seen a lot of deer. If anyone has a 45 tag and is not sure where to go pm me.

442045_buck.jpg

I was up for an annual camp trip with 3 families north of McCall, unit 24. It's a great spot to camp and the first year there in 04' we saw a ton of deer every day, both whitetails and muleys. While I did see two 140" type whitetail bucks up near the top at 8000', the deer numbers are down half since we started going up there, especially the muleys. We did see about 80 elk and 5 bulls, with the biggest a small 6x6. Still a lot of water and kids hiked a 8000' mtn and had a snowball fight. No fawns and few calves!

>Here's a unit 45 buck seen
>one that would score much
>better but he didn't give
>us time to get a
>picture.Seen a lot of deer.
>If anyone has a 45
>tag and is not sure
>where to go pm me.
>
>
>
442045_buck.jpg

PM sent

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom