Scouting for Sheep

mightyhunter

Very Active Member
For many of us, the prospect of scouting for an animal to hunt is as enjoyable as the hunt itself. This year, I was unsuccessful in drawing my resident Wyoming sheep tag. After I whiffed in the draw, I started to focus my hiking and scouting on elk and mule deer. I located some decent early bulls and also a few muley bucks.

I started to get bored and decided there is no reason why I
can't scout for bighorn sheep. In the last two weeks, I have started scouting the areas that I had originally planned to sheep hunt in if I had drawn the tag. Last Friday I was in some very remote "sheep" country and started kicking up quite a few sheep. I also found an exceptional goat chilling by himself on a cliff.

I am going to locate as many sheep as I can for the next few months. I am going into some horrible steep country. It is showing me the places I can access on foot and those that I cannot. I am also finding some potential camp sites and sources for water. It has actually been a lot of fun. As the snow recedes, I anticipate seeing more and more great sheep country.

just sayin...mh

Nice!!!! Hitting the hills is always good. I'm hopping to get a sheep tag next year had to withdraw my app this year and was bummed especially as it gets closer to sept but I'll be chasing Muley and elk so that should get me through this year!!

Why not, mh?
You're going to have the tag sooner than later and you might as well prolong the pleasure (and pain) as long as possible. All the while, it will make you a better sheep hunter!
Well done,
Zeke

That's cool. Sounds like fun. I'm ready to get after it and do some backpacking soon.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom