Scouting during archery season limited entry elk

GOutes

I have a limited entry "any weapon" bull tag.

I wanted to get opinions on who scouts during archery season for elk in a limited entry unit?

Also, have you run into any issues scouting during this time period?

Scouting is fun to do and to see the type of animals you could possibly be hunting. BUT, dont be like the guides that I have ran into. I have ran into 2 types of guides while on my LE archery elk hunts. Type 1: I was told to get out of the area because they had a rifle tag and clients coming in to hunt elk on the weekend when the rifle hunt started. This is no joke either. It happened twice in a row to me in 1 year and twice the second time I had the same tag 2 years later (draw tag, then expo tag). It was a fight for 10 days.

Now for type 2: These guides helped me for free. Showed me some great bulls that they had seen. Pointed me in the righ directions. The one, even though he was guiding an archery hunter, invited me to stay with him for a few days while I was solo and a huge nasty storm had hit.

So moral of the story, Go scout. But dont go off screwing the hunt up for the archery hunters. I would wait til the last 7-10 days to get serious about scouting before your hunt. BUT also, spend the summer learning areas, roads, potential water holes and so on. Good luck. Kill a giant!!!

I agree with everything Robiland stated.

Since you have a rifle tag I'd scout (for the animals) the end of the bow hunt the most. If you scout too early you'll find where the elk are but not where they'll be when the rut kicks in.... like Robiland already said.

It's never too early to scout out roads, trails, glassing points, feeding areas and potential rutting areas.

Have fun with the tag and don't let the pressure get to you!

Zeke

I see no issue if you are glassing from a far and not pushing the animals around. If you are dropping down into bedding areas pushing elk around it will do you no good and certainly hurt the LE Archery hunters odds.

Basically I would say don't do anything you wouldn't want people doing during your hunt.

Archery guys already have it bad with thousands of archery deer and also Cow and spike hunters roaming all over the place during their hunt.

>I see no issue if you
>are glassing from a far
>and not pushing the animals
>around. If you are
>dropping down into bedding areas
>pushing elk around it will
>do you no good and
>certainly hurt the LE Archery
>hunters odds.
>
>Basically I would say don't do
>anything you wouldn't want people
>doing during your hunt.
>
>Archery guys already have it bad
>with thousands of archery deer
>and also Cow and spike
>hunters roaming all over the
>place during their hunt.

Amen...

'Ike'

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom