Scoring Shiras moose

A

AntlerKing

Scoring a Shiras moose:

I had a few questions about scoring moose, I thought some of you might know how to do it. My bull has 7 points on one side and 6 on the other, do I count that as 13 points or do I count the inches of each point for a grand total? I've looked at the Boone and Crockett score sheet for moose to get an idea. Measurement E: how do you run the tape from the top of the antler up to the double browntine, and do I do this on the underside of the spoon? After the main spoon ends the browtines kick off in a diff direction. I think those are the only two real questions I have about scoring moose.

Any help is appreciated

LAST EDITED ON Oct-16-07 AT 04:07PM (MST)[p]With moose, you measure the greatest outside spread (perpendicular), the width and length of each palm, with the tape against the palms, the circumfrance of the beam, and the number of points. You get no credit for length of points. The length and wideth of the palm should not include any points in it. It should run from the back of the palm between points, to the front of the front, but not include any point length. I hope that makes sense.
Looking at your bull, I'm really not sure how to score the length of the palm. I don't know if you measure up to the base where the brows split, or if that lenth counts at all. Technically, B&C says your measurement should touch antler at all times, and not go over any gaps.

From the looks of your moose you only have 1 option as a measuring point in the brows. It would be between the 2 brow tines. Place the antlers upside down on the floor and stretch a piece of masking tape from that point to each of the first 2 bays at the top of the antler and see which is more parrellel to the inside edge of the paddle. This is your measurement line. It can cross an open bay but only on the outside of the paddle, not the inside. You meaure clear to the centerline of the paddle thickness.

Good luck and very nice moose.

JB

Thanks for the info, I will give it a go and see what I come up with.

Thanks again,
AntlerKing

Previous post is right, Tip the rack over and measure from the dip in the brow palm to a dip in the top parallel to the inside edge of the palm. Measure the palm width at the widest point, perpendicular to the palm measurement. Count the points, measure the widest spread, and get the circumferences at the bottom and you're done.

I am no expert at scoring moose, but I killed a bull that is very similar to the one you killed and he tapes out at 155". My bull is a 10x10 but is only 40" wide so I will guess your bull to be about 147". Congrats on a heck of a bull. He will look awesome on your wall. I hope you have tall ceilings, I mounted mine in the sneek position and he is still to dang big for my 9' ceiling. Best eating game you'll ever eat, IMO.

After going over the antlers with the tape a few more times I came up with 132 4/8.....That's plenty big for me.

Thanks for the help,
AntlerKing

Wondering what a good bull ear width would be on a shiras moose? Someone said that outside eye to eye to be around 11 inches. For a 50 inch moose you would need about 20 inches on each side of eyes. Is there a better way to judge width? Palm length and width and number of points are likly more important. As long as the bull is at least 40 inches. Thanks for input.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom