Scored

LAST EDITED ON Oct-22-08 AT 08:15AM (MST)[p]Congratulations Russ for filling my tag for me! I hope you had a great time and killed a nice ram. Can't wait to hear about it and see your pictures.
Now you can go back to deer loving, right? Or are you inflicted by the sheep flu like some of us?
I am sending you a PM.

Russ
Heres your ram. It's a beauty. Congrats. Thats an AWESOME diy RAM.

Yelum

48ff67007fe9b57d.jpg

48ff668b7c49a9e5.jpg

48ff601c4e62cb2b.jpg

48ff66c07dffda70.jpg

Wow, I can see why a deerlover would shoot that ram. He's got a 30" spread! Nice old ram and he must have been a battler with the big chip in his left horn. Congratulations on a ram of a lifetime.

hey russ,
that was a good ram and i got better pictures of it if you want me to send you some. let me know! that was fun

WOW Russ! Way to go. Love the way he flares out like that.

Hey Robb, did you tell Russ where to kill MY ram???

LOL

Russ, congrats on an awesome looking ram! Brother he has some serious character and I would have deffinately pulled the hammer on him! Again congrats on thanks for sharing it. I'd love to hear the story/hunt , are you writing any thing on it?....NM

Give us a few details. How hard did you have to hunt for that ram? How would say the quality of the hunt was in that unit?

Great sheep!

Well I drew with only 6 pts so I was pumped. I knew it was going to be a physical hunt. Talked to two guys that had hunted it before. One was a dink (taxi from slc) he told me I should hire him blah blah and that he had to ride his 4 wheeler 7 hours to get to the hunting area. LOL The other guy gave me some canyons to check out. The biologist said the same things, but the country is huge. I scouted three times during the summer to different areas and saw only ewes which is normal during the summer. I went down solo the day before the deer hunt to the north part of the unit. Here you can walk to the valley floor. Down south you could not. Within 20 mins I see a decent ram 1500 yards below me on the slickrock. He scoots away and I try to circle around him three hours later and he's gone. That day I see 7 or so ewes but no rams. The next day I go to the same area and spot a ram to the west up on a mesa with 12 ewes. It's a full curl and he's rutting hard. He put on a show for a good half hour. I went below him, then to the south, then north then west, with no way up to him. Suck!! Put on at least ten miles those to days. That night I head south, and had a bud Rob show up at 1 am to help. We glass til noon with no luck. We try farther north and about a hour before dark we spot 2 rams, one good and one small. There 500 yards below us moving up. We move down the mesa to get closer and get to 300 yards. I set up, my bud has him in the spotter, I take three shots hit him twice a little far back. He runs toward us and then lays down facing us. We know he's hit so I wait as my buddy runs back to get the video camera. After a few minutes he tips over. What a rush!!! We go down and now it's dark we gut him and put him in cedar tree. The next morning we go back with the Steeles, Bowdy and Gunner from Payson (they were deer huntin) and take some photos and quarter him out. Needless to say I had the disposable camera but they had my back. Best three day hunt of my life. LOL If I had to go back and do it again I would of had 300 feet of rope. Ten helpers with spotters and radios would also help. LOL Russ

Congrats Russ on a great Ram.....Sounds like "The Other Guy" you had talked about, put you in the right place!!!! The "dink" you talked to are a dime a dozen. A guy who doesn't know you and is willing to share information about his "hot spot" and honey holes(not that they are any secrets), deserves a little more credit than just, "the other guy gave me some canyons to check out". If you forgot his name...PM me....he is a great guy.
Rack.

Russ,

That is a very nice ram! Congrats on scoring on a very nice one! Are breaks like your ram has very common? Not sure I have ever seen one like that? One thing about it, yours will be one of a kind?

Looks like some very unforgiving country.

What a dream hunt. Great ole Ram. I thought maybe that ole boy fell off a cliff after you shot him. I have heard Chuck Adams tell his story of a trophy ram that did that and he is was still waiting to buy a full cap mount, as his was trashed. He had to sew it together just to take photos.

Seems like foreign country to me. I am a rookie in the Desert. I marvel at your ability to go solo. I have seen too many episodes of Man vs Wild to get me too excited about the backcountry desert solo. You da man! Great ram. He will look great in your trophy room.

Do you know Greg Brumfield or have you heard of him? He is from Grand Junction. He was my brother's high school buddy. I later found out that he is quite the well known taxidermist for Sheep.

Wouldn't have ever guessed that one... Anyway, I figure you have that taken care of by now.

Pictures turned out pretty good.

Midnight

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom