Score this one-NM today

JFWRC

Very Active Member
I think the photos of this guy will give you enough to make a decent guess......

Is this one a shooter?

4854958411a3ae17.jpg

JFW,

Great pictures of a great goat! Now those are some prongs to get excited about!

I am no scoring pro, but would like to take a stab at it. I am going to give hime 82-83?

LAST EDITED ON Jun-14-08 AT 10:58PM (MST)[p]...after another look, the hooks may get him up to 84?

Lets hear more guesses!?!?

Can I ask what part of NM you are in JFW? You sure shoot/get pics of dandy goats. They on your leases? Maybe one day I will need to get a LO tag from you?;-)

Been a while since I had to judge goats but I need to refresh myself after drawing a NV tag. My guess is 16 1/4", good mass all the way up= 81"-83". The one on my wall is 79" so I'd pull the trigger on this one. Not a goat meat fan so the one I take this year will have to be better than my previous best.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-15-08 AT 07:03AM (MST)[p]I'm liking what you guys are saying. I thought he looked pretty good 2.

KTC-I live in Albuquerque. We have a few places we lease. Unfortunately this buck was not on 1 of them. We also apply folks into public areas. I'm think the LO permits on this place are pretty high. I will be talking to the owners soon.

Jimbo

Beautiful looking buck, but I don't see him over 77-78. Good paddles, but low on the horn, average mass, 14.5 length.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-15-08 AT 10:14AM (MST)[p]Yeah I think in the year the pic was taken the buck should score around 77 or 78. He has better length than you want to credit because of the way his horns roll back great cutters also.Hard to tell for this year, goats can downsize pretty fast when they reach their full potential. Usually only one year on top is all they got. If he grew- well thats a different story. That buck would probably be a book buck
travis

You guys may think I'm crazy buy I think he's 6.5ish base and slightly bigger 1st qtr. He is great above the prong.....I'm guessin 4.25ish 2nd qtr and 3ish 3rd qtr. I think his prong is 6 and his length is 15ish.

Where's Eli when you need him?

I'd tell a client to breath out slowly and squeeze.

Jimbo

I don't think your crazy, I think that buck is around 82 to 83 gross. He is a dead ringer for the one I killed in WY last year and he went officialy 84 2/8. He has mass all the way up, good diggers and length.

I too would like to see what Eli says about this goat

Rich

JFW,

Thanks. One of these years we may have to hook up for a goat hunt. I agree, if I were hunting with you, you would be wanting me to shoot.;-)

madglasser,

Was your guess 77-78? I trust your judgement, but wow, I am personally (uneducated of course) going with 82+ a little. I honestly think this is a book goat? If not, and I shot him, I would be happy.

Thanks for sharing big, live, goat photos!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-15-08 AT 11:20PM (MST)[p]I think he is a great goat. Maybe i was a little low but i don't think he is B&C. I think the prongs look long because he lacks mass. Also he really is not much above his ears where he forks. That looses mass as well. Length- better than what everyone is giving. I think 16 or a little better. I would say 78 and on a GOOD day 80. It is all speculation until they hit the ground. PLEASE prove me wrong. This next year maybe 82or 83. This is my belief thats all. I have guided goats that were bigger that only scored 80.
Travis

It is a great looking goat, but I
dont think it will go much over 78.
The length just isn,t there.
I have hunted goats in almost every
western state, and New Mexico are
some of the hardest to judge, Because
of there body size, you put that much
horn above the head on a Wyoming goat
and you have an 82 incher.
I have seen a true 16 incher in WY
and one in NM, the one in NM looked
like it was 18 because of the smaller
narrower head.

I am thinking around 79. He is a good buck that most people would be extremely excited to display on the wall. I know that all the hunters that I have guided would be happy with this animal. As for myself, he is a shooter with a bow but not quite big enough with a rifle in the area that I hope to hunt someday soon.

Eli,

One of our guides went in first thing opening morning and decided this goat was not the one he was looking for (it actually was) because it appeared to have a portion of his left prong missing. Anyways they went to look at another goat and by the time they made there way back to this goat another one of clients was getting his picture taken next to this dude. He ended up going 85ish I think. LCHC or PCHA could give an exact score.

How did you guys end up around Corona this year. I ran in to some public hunters that said you had the tags on Wades or the Old Lovelace place, whatever you call it. Send some pics from that hunt. The public hunters came out with some pretty nice antelope.

What ranch did the public hunters take the good bucks on? Do you have any pictures?

I'll look for some pics from that hunt. I can't seem to find them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom