Score this Blacky

manny53

Long Time Member
5156dsc02102.jpg

I am seeing high 130's but a great buck indeed.

Short backs, narrow inside spread and just above average mass will keep him out of the books IMO.

But as I like to say he has curb appeal and that is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than score to me.

Bill

LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-10 AT 11:01AM (MST)[p]I think he'll push 150! put him at 148, Stud Blackie!!

Do you know the gross score Manny?

Joey

Looks photoshopped to me. Something not right...the nimrods face is missing except for his mouth. How about 215" gross.

Awesome buck. Check out the mass and front forks on this
incredible rack. Congrats on a great trophy.

ELDORADO

I'd say about 150-155 or so. I'm sitting here with a 142" 3x3 blacktail rack on my fireplace about 20 feet from me, so I'm using it for comparison.

Beautiful buck.....congratulations to the hunter. If it falls within the B&C boundaries for Columbian Blacktail then you're looking at a buck that should net enough to make the all-time B&C record book.

BOHNTR )))---------->

I am using the deer's head and ears for comparison as well as the man's hand and other than the big fronts and nice eye guards I don't see a book buck.

Saying that I have been wrong before (many times, HaHa) and might be way off.

Help us out here Manny , Give us a score!

Bill

>I am using the deer's head
>and ears for comparison as
>well as the man's hand
>and other than the big
>fronts and nice eye guards
>I don't see a book
>buck.
>
>Saying that I have been wrong
>before (many times, HaHa) and
>might be way off.
>
>Help us out here Manny ,
>Give us a score!
>
>Bill

LOL...Ask BomberBlackies he was there......I have'nt seen a buck like that on the hoof since I moved to Oregon....

LAST EDITED ON Dec-14-10 AT 08:12AM (MST)[p]Manny no offense I was just guessing at a score and explaining how I came up with mine and why I disagreed with some of the other GUESSES.

I never saw anywhere that someone gave a score that came from actually measuring the rack. Am I missing it somewhere?

It's a great buck and it doesn't matter what he scores to me we are all just trying to get better at judging and without an actual measurement we can't tell how we are doing. Isn't that the point of a guess the score?

Bill

BomberBlackies, well, what say you? What did this buck gross out at?

huntindad, Boy, you sure know how to Dis a guy's buck!

Lol. just kidding! :)

Joey

Yes, the inside spread is about average. The G3s are 7 2/8 and 6 4/8. Not weak for a Blacky. So, what does he score Chasendeer?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-15-10 AT 08:06AM (MST)[p]I'm thinking that buck is 40" wide. I'm comparing the width of the rack to the length of deer's body.

Eel

I ain't about to divulge my anatomical measurinmg tool, because it ain't very big around, but it sure is short!!!
Hellovua nice buck though!

I pretty much agree with Bill.
I'm having a hard time seeing 140.
The angle of the photo, his head looks real big compared to his body.
Great buck, good front end.
I'm saying mid 130's

Here is a 144.
Different configuration.

IMG_9229.jpg

HH

If you score it the same way they score the bucks in Muley Crazy magazine, the buck will score in the 185 range. It is almost impossible to judge it from one angle. I come up with a net score of 141 5/8". Call a B&C Measurer in 60 days. Congratulations!!! That is a he** of a black tail.

Chasendeer
I was just curious what you thought he scored. The G4s are right at 11 inches each. Huge for a blacktail. He is 21 5/8 OS. Mainbeams are approx 21 inches each. So...

LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-10 AT 12:37PM (MST)[p]BB said,"...so"

So i think i guessed too low:

g-1...3
g-2..12
g-3...7
g-4..11
mb...21
mass.15
---------
...... 69
.......x2
--------
...;.138
InSp.16
--------
.....154 gross

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-10 AT 05:04PM (MST)[p]Boy I blew that one.
My apologies.
Internet scoring is a fools game anyway, at least for me.
HH

Great buck regardless! I bet gross 150 with the mass and g4's.

Jay- Did you ever make that corned elk? How did it turn out?

Joey, not bad guess. Your mass measurements are little weak. The buck has about 34 inches of mass.
Lets put this in perspective. This buck grosses about 15% above the B&C min. of 135"s. The min of a mule deer is 190. So, 15% added to 190 is approx 218 gross typical! With deducts about 212 net typical. I bet most GOV tag holders would shoot something of that caliber. The poor blacktail gets no respect!

Rick, The Rodney Dangerfield of deer, they get no respect!. I agree and have stated that opinion in here many times! To me, it's just about the perfect big game animal, plus the country that they live in, to hunt but then i too get drawn to the Muley or at least, i have.

Yes, a 155 class Blackie is a truly marvelous fantastic trophy. This one doesn't hardly have any deductions either which is even more incredible. I take it that you or one of your friends and/or hunters, chasendeer, took this great buck? Well done and Congrats to you Guys!!

Joey

>Joey, not bad guess. Your mass
>measurements are little weak. The
>buck has about 34 inches
>of mass.
>Lets put this in perspective. This
>buck grosses about 15% above
>the B&C min. of 135"s.
>The min of a mule
>deer is 190. So, 15%
>added to 190 is approx
>218 gross typical! With deducts
>about 212 net typical. I
>bet most GOV tag holders
>would shoot something of that
>caliber. The poor blacktail gets
>no respect!

He is big for a blackie but sorry I don't see any way of getting 34" of mass....

Marburg, you are right. One side is 17 1/8 and the other 16 6/8. Thats 33 5/8! I believe I said "about 34 inches" Thanks for pointing that out.

BB, Do you have any other pic's of this buck that you can share with us. The one posted just doesn't do that buck justice!!

Joey

I agree with Sage that pic doesn't show me the numbers stated and although I believe the numbers given I would love the chance to make it add up with more pics.

Also I meant no disrespect with my numbers as score means very little to me and that is a great blacktail.

Bill

Great blacktail, but heavy price tag. Still nice to see some big boys are still out there, hopefully some are still in the breeding pool.

Congrats to the hunter.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom