Scope tube size matter much?

DoeNob

I recently bought a Savage 111 in 300 win mag and have been glass shopping.

I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44 with the Rapid Z 800 reticle and hunting turrets.

My concern is this has a 1 inch tube and not a 30 mm - will I notice the difference at all?

Also, any other good scopes similar to the above I should be considering in the under $1k price range?

Thanks!

You should check out the Vortex Viper PST. I was way impressed with this scope. It has all the features of a high end tactical scope, but is only $800. It is neck and neck opitcally with my swaro riflescope, and about half the price.

}}-SLIVER-->

No, I don't think you'll notice a difference. My understanding of the 30mm tube is that it gives you more horizontal and vertical adjustment for longer distance shooting. In addition some manufacturers can get 4X magnification (3 X 12) instead of the standard 3X (3 X 9) because of the larger tube.

You will absolutely notice a difference in the brightness by going with a 30mm, there is a few resons to go with a 30 mm but the 1" tube is good too.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
Colorado, U.S.A
NRA LIFE MEMBER
www.ElkHunterSports.com

If you are comparing apples to apples, Zeiss to Zeiss, then you might notice a difference. I am not an expert, but my thoughts are that the glass/scope quality will make more of a difference than tube size when comparing scopes. Just my .02

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-11 AT 04:12PM (MST)[p]More sun allowed equals brighter view. Sliver +1 Check out Vortex, great scope and good glass, save some money! Get a tactical scope with exposed turret dials. so quick and easy.

"More room for W//E adjustments, yes, but the 30mm tube does not provide any advantage to light transmission vs. a 1" tube scope, all else being equal. It just so happens that many of the best, high end Euro scopes that provide superior light transmission have 30mm tubes because Europe uses the metric system exclusively. But again, the 30mm tube has no influence on the superior light transmission of these scopes. Instead, it is superior glass, optimized coatings, larger apertures, and overall design that is responsible for the improved light transmission of some 30mm scopes."

So says http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?tid=13463 and several other forums I've read. I think I read the same thing in Outdoorsmans Western Hunter magazine.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom