scope or spotting scope

N

nevadarice

I was wondering about insted of carring a spotting scope just using the a 42 power nightforce scope on my gun along with a gun claw and tri-pod to look for deer or do you think im giving up to much by not taking a spotting scope "just trying to save a little weight and room in my pack" what do you think

Hell, I wouldn't even carry binos. Just use the scope on your rifle to scan the countryside. Saves hassle and weight of carrying two or three items (binos and spotter), plus when you do see something you want to shoot, you're already on target so there's no wasted time.

just never scope hunters...tends to get them to scope back it you! pack the spotter if you can afford night force you can buy a light weight tripod/scope!
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

The last time i used my scope to glass with i was 14 years old. In other words i know better now. You cannot find game or glass for game using a scope . Use you binos for that ,then when you find the game pull your spotting scope out to see how good they look . If they are good enough go after it ! Use your eyes not your legs .

Reminds me of the old hunting story of the "city slicker" using his riflescope to check out the hunters riding on horse back across the canyon... when the rifle boomed and the trusty steed was as dead as a stone, the city slicker was really glad he only had to pay for the horse... not go to jail for murder! Get my drift...? NJS

Ignore their responses. You clearly noted that you weren't using the scope on a gun. I have considered the same, using some sort of quick detach mount to put my 6.5x20 Zeiss on my shooting stick tripod. I would use this more to judge game after glassing with my 16oz 8x30 slc's, but the limited field of view and the fact it is nearly impossible to put a scope back on a rifle in the field and be back close enough to zero to not need at least one field shot has kept me from moving forward.

>Ignore their responses. You clearly
>noted that you weren't using
>the scope on a gun.
> I have considered the
>same, using some sort of
>quick detach mount to put
>my 6.5x20 Zeiss on my
>shooting stick tripod. I
>would use this more to
>judge game after glassing with
>my 16oz 8x30 slc's, but
>the limited field of view
>and the fact it is
>nearly impossible to put a
>scope back on a rifle
>in the field and be
>back close enough to zero
>to not need at least
>one field shot has kept
>me from moving forward.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong.... The part that says "on my gun", leads me to believe that the scope will be "on the gun".

I don't know if they have hunter safety in your state but isn't there a rule about not pointing your gun at anything you don't intend to shoot?

I would stick with the Bino's and/ or spotting scope. Just a nice thing to do.

--Bill

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom