????Scope for 7MM Remington Mag

M

mikeorner

Hey Guys.....I just bought a Weatherby sub-moa 7MM Remington Magnum. I am leaning toward putting a leupold VX-3 4.5-14 with CDS dials on it. I cant afford to buy the Huskemaw right now. I will be using it for Mule Deer in Wyoming or Utah, so I might have some pretty long shots. Anyway I was wondering what you guys would do if you were in the same situation. I am open to hearing any suggestions you guys may have. Thanks

I'd surely buy the Best Scope you can afford for that gun!

It's amazing how many people I see selling/cussing a decent Rifle that they put a 100.00 Scope on!

Don't be one of them Guys!

If you're getting in to the Long Range Shooting you might consider saving a little more $$$ and getting a Scope that'll do the job!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

i have a 7mm that 3 years ago put the same power scope on(although nikon)the gold ring is a great scope.had the rifle for over 20 years and couldnt be happier.i use mine for the same purpose you will.

i put a 4.5x14 Leupold gold ring LR with the varmint recticle on my 7MM mag and it is way sweet. zeroed at 200 and up to 600. im right on. it took a min to find the sweet load but the scope is great for me.
wes

I have the same Leupold on my Rem 7MM Mag and it is a perfect set up with Hornady's Hevi Mag 139 gr SST & Interbond. Zero at 200 or 300 and on 14 power it is dead on the money in 100 yard increments. I have found a couple of other calibers/loads that I utilize that have basically the same trajectory and the scope works great on those rifles too. Hornady replaced Hevi Mag with Superformance which is almost identical in velocity, and when I run out of my Hevi Mag stock, I'll likely test their new load.

The ONLY problem you may encounter with the Varmit reticle on big game is finding the thin crosshairs when rushed in low light. This happened once to me in Idaho chasin' whitetails. At that moment, I was wishing for my Boone & Crockett reticle, which works better in that situation.

I have considered setting up a B&C reticle scope with a custom yardage dial, giving you a choice of using the B&C when in a hurry at decent range VS dialing in the yardage on a long shot with plenty of time at hand. This should be a great set up for any large game situation encountered.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-19-10 AT 02:16AM (MST)[p]The CDS will do anything the huskemaw will do it just takes more clicks on the elevation dial. 1/4 moa instead of 1/3 moa clicks. The optics on the VX3 are at least as good if not better.

Have you considered a Zeiss conquest with the Pride Fowler Z reticles?

I put a 4.5x14x44 with Z800 reticle on my accurate 7mm and was blown away by how accurate it is. No need to click on the elevation dial at all. Just have to keep my bore condition consistent and watch the wind, with a good rest I have a reticle out to 800 yards, it also has 5 and 10 mph wind compesation on the reticle.

Gun is zeroed at 200 yards on the center reticle and I can set the power at any magnification. If I want to use the other reticles I have to set my scope at 12x around 6000 feet and 12.5x at 9000 feet.

I shoot factory Winchester loads with the 160g XP3 bullet-my setup will also work with the 160g accubond at the same speed (identical BC) but I would have to sight the rifle in with the accubond.

Take a look at Zeiss's ballistic calculator for the Z reticles and see how good they will work with your chosen load before you buy one of the scopes.

Yeah Timberbuck, I choose the Leupold over the Husky for several reasons...

I have that same Zeiss on my Browning Mountain Ti 300WSM and although I don't have quite the confidence in the customer service end of Zeiss as compared to Leupold, I am pretty happy with the performance of the Zeiss glass. I also have one on a .223 Rem Varmit Lite and it works well. I especially like the Zeiss website where you can play with the various choices in reticle/zero settings and would like to see Leupold incorporate something similiar.

I have a zeiss conquest 3x9 on my 7-08 it is a fantastic scope for the slow 7 and out to 300 yrds or so. With my aging eyes 3x9 is a 300 yard scope for me. I wish I would have gone with a 15x to get a little further range. I would *NOT* go with a 3x9 on a 7 mag. X-x-14 would be minimum I think zeiss conquest line has something in that magnification with a rapid z reticle out to 800 yards. Vortex is really pushing a long range scope in this magnification as well. My experience from hunting the Southwest says for magnification on the low end 4,5or6 on the high end anything above 14 BUT that is with my aging eyes,your eyes may be better than mine, price range $750.00 and up. Take it to a good gun smith have the scope leveled and rings lapped. Good luck on the hunt.

I used the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44mm RZ-800 on my .270WSM this year for antelope in New Mexico. I shot my buck at about 275 yards so I didn't need the extra reticles, but I also shot targets and rocks out to 800 yards. The computer program was easy to use and the windage accomodations on the reticle really work.

I don't think there is any comparison between the quality of the Zeiss and the Leupold. I have used Leupold for years, but luckily I get to use better glass now!

The Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44mm comes with the RZ-800 or the RZ-1000 AND Target Turrets.

They are each $875 at the Outdoorsmans...

Good luck!

-----
Trent Swanson
Western Hunter Magazine
www.westernhuntermagazine.net
Outdoorsmans
www.outdoorsmans.com
Wilderness Athlete
www.wildernessathlete.com

LAST EDITED ON Dec-20-10 AT 01:50AM (MST)[p]cameraland has some Zeiss demos,best place to buy one.

4.5x14x44with Z800 for $700

The 44mm scopes are nice because you can usually use medium rings-don't have to mount them as high as a 50mm and they are brighter than a 40mm which is important above 10x. This is one of the reasons I like this scope over the Leupold VX3 which only comes in a 40 or 50mm

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom