Scary Jobs ?

C

ClorideRUS

What's the scariest job you ever had?

In about 1970 I went to work in an open pit iron mine. My job was oilier on an electric shovel. About every 8 hours the shovel had to be greased. So my job was to grab a bucket of grease and put it on an electric heater to warm it up. Generally in the winter it was way below zero when you worked graveyard and the only way to deal with the grease was to heat it up and then work like crazy for about 15 minuets before the grease became too stiff to work with.

Anyway, each shift you would heat your bucket of baby sh*t up (that's what it looked like) and scramble up the boom on the shovel and smear the baby sh*t on the point sheaves. It might be -20 and snowing but you did it anyway.

What brings this to mind are the 6 miners trapped in the coal mine in Utah. PRAY FOR THEM!!!

My pick for scariest jobs are:

Farmer
Hard rock miner
Fire fighter
Ice road trucker (just threw that one in cause I watch Discovery)

What's yours??

RUS

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-07 AT 07:57PM (MST)[p]Military
Police
Miner

buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

Scariest job? What ever one is about to kill you.

I've worked at:
Commercial fishing(definatly moments that I wanted to be somewhere else)
Handfaller(considered one of the top 10 most dangerous jobs)
Forest fire fighting(lot of hype low risk)

Kirby

When in doubt, floor it.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you find a big stick.

When I was a Deputy Sheriff I arrested a guy on pcp, armed with a knife, covered with his own blood and was infected with aids! I tackled the s.o.b.. took the knife from him and in return he covered me with blood and urine. I had to be testesd for h.i.v. for almost 10 years before I finally had peace of mind that I didnt have it! Few things actually scare me but that was the #1 in my book!
Eric
famousfigures_abevigoda.gif

Ultra liberal, wolf loving, illiterate, gay, hippie midgets on crack piss me off!!!!

deerline.gif

22 YEARS AGO I HAD A JACK-ASS PUT A 12 GAUGE IN MY FACE!!!

HE COCKED IT!!!

((( I DID HERE THE BULLET GO IN!!! )))

THEN I HEARD THE SAFE GO OFF!!!

ONE OF THE LOUDEST SOUNDS I'VE EVER HEARD TO DATE!!!

ALL I COULD THINK ABOUT!!!

IF HE WAS CRAZY ENOUGH TO STICK IT IN MY FACE,JACK ONE IN HE WAS CRAZY ENOUGH TO PULL THE TRIGGER!!!

THERE ARE SOME GOOFY SOB'S OUT THERE!!!

THIS WAS ONE OF THEM!!!

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

I work with explosives and radioactive materials everyday in the oilfield, can somtimes be dangerous. But I think that some of the most dangerous jobs are mining, law enforcement, amd one that most people don't think about clerks at 24 hour convenience and liquor stores.

My job can be pretty scary at times. I'm a rigger for a crane company, and that means sometimes I have to be up high hooking the crane to whatever we're picking. Usually it isn't too bad, but there's times when you have to walk on a 4 inch wide piece of metal covered in grease 30 feet up in the air. Or everything is coated in ice and snow. Or you have a skittish operator holding an 80,000 pound whatever over your head. And I don't like heights. I'm not scared of heights, I just don't like them.

Last month we had a crane at the Dayton tire plant and their engineers told us this piece we were picking off the roof weighed 23,000 pounds. Ended up weighing 48,000. It broke the boom brake and the crane dropped the piece through the roof. I was holding on to the piece as it was being picked and its momentum pushed me out of the way as it came down. Kinda nerve wracking.

ChesterWyo;

I worked 30 years on the streets as a cop. I think I had as many close calls working Hwy. construction before becoming a cop. My oldest son is now a patrol Sgt. I never said a thing except for him to use his head and street smarts to stay safe. If one of my kids or grandkids decided they were going to take a job as a night clerk in a 7-11 type store, I would raise the roof in protest. In CA. cops call them "stop and rob" stores.
I fully agree with you on that one.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Aug-07-07 AT 01:08AM (MST)[p]Check out the video of this guys job. Kinda makes ya think about the nice, peaceful crab fishing industry...LOL.

http://www.monsterhuntclips.com/view_video.php?viewkey=ea8fe223c713b77189a7

don't know if the link will work. If that doesn't work, go to the video section of this site and type in "high voltage" and do a search.

Listen to the guys narration. The resolution isn't that great, but you can do a search on the net for high_power_worker.wmv and find a crisper presentation.

I worked in an underground silver mine in Norther ID, depending on where we were mining, it was either 3700 or up to 5500 feet below the surface. Once you get about 3' below the surface, if it caves in you're hosed either way... whats another 5000+/- feet? :7

I felt realitively safe for the most part that was until the ground started popping. The mine was natorious for "rock bursts" which are a result of how the strata and ore viens were layed out, not to mention the pressure at such depths. When the pressure is releaved from blasting, there is still some residual stresses in the rock and at times it will explode right on the face of the wall. Some were just little pops others could almost nock you off your feet. Some times when drilling you'd have the 2" hole close up on you as you pulled the steele out.

I loved every minute of it though, and would do it again in a heart beat. About the only thing I didn't care for was the heat. Newly exposed rock faces would radiate at about 110-115 degrees. It was a hot SOB in the dead end drifts.

How 'bout the poor bastage that hasta bring that big bowl of gruel to Rosie O... THAT would be dangerous!!

Early '80's, operating a trencher digging a ditch fer power and communication lines at Red Fleet Res up by Vernal, Ut. in December.
80% of where I had to trench was so steep and icey/muddy that if the chain caught it would push the boom up out of the trench, and I'd shoot all the way to the bottom of the hill (aprox 100 or so yards) at warp 3.
After about twice down the hill, (and 2 changes of pantaloons)I made the boss put a guy on a D7 Cat in front of me the whole time.
The last trench they wanted was along side the face of the dam, to steep for the D7. They ended up digging that one with a trackhoe, 'cause I told 'em to FO!

I currently work for a state agency with 11 women and I'm the only guy. O'h no , don't you guys think it's a all great , you married men know, THATS 1X11= 11 CRAZY HAGS!

They are doing road work on Trail Ridge road in Rocky Mountan NP at night. They are currently working on the part of the road that is right on the edge of a drop off. They couldn't pay me enough to do that crap!

It's Bush's fault!!!

When I was 16-18 I was a lifeguard at the local swimming pool. Exposing myself to all those UV and Infrared rays. Not to mention climbing up and down from the guard tower. I could have slipped and pulled something! Plus the eye-strain from looking at all those little firmies in bikinis. Its a wonder I survived it at all.

This aint crap to some of what you guys put up,
but mine was 1987 walking on the Eastham unit of
the TX prison system for the very first time.
Scared the everlivinghell out of this simple country
boy.

Got over it, used my wit's, knocked the shout out of a
few folks, had the shout knocked out of me by a few folks.

Matured quickly, made Sgt., got the shout knocked out of me
somemore. Returned shout knocking when possible.

Will have 20 years in on Sept.25th.

May get the Shout knocked out of me tomorrow.

And that's before I leave the house................

Go figure.
lrv

LAST EDITED ON Aug-07-07 AT 09:13PM (MST)[p]LIVER!! thought you said your ol'e lady paid the bills & you cooked the squirrels?? WHAT ABOUT THEM MOO - MOO'S??? who is taking care of them while you're playing prison guard? don't get pissed, you're one of the good ones!!!

RUS

posting pics on M.M.

We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.? Aldo Leopold

Ida, its not a wonder that you survived it, it IS a wonder that you ever got another job. Why would you?

Gotta agree that our soldiers have the toughest jobs out there. We owe them more than we can repay.

elknuts,

I had to grow up sometime and make some real money.

I third or forth what has been said about the troops. God bless them and their families.

I have been in the military for 3 yrs. I am a sniper in the marines and have been to Iraq and Afghanistan. Only a couple months and I will be out. We gotta pray for everyone over in that shithole. Its great to know that people actually care. You wonder alot about that when ur sitting in the 130 degree heat.

I doubt that there could be a more scary job than being a "soldier of war" during a conflict and realzing that the opposition wants to kill you at every opportunity.
God bless the men and women of our U.S military and the defenders of our freedom!

Dittos on the Military. Especially in todays "rules of engagement". Don't think I could do it.

My scariest job was working on a logging crew for five years. No matter how careful you are something can jump up and get you at any time. Keep your head on a swivel and hope you get lucky.

Eel

Fwall;

That would come under the heading of "dirty jobs". Well!! after thinking about it, you might be right about it also being a SCARY job. HEY! WHERE IS MY GAS MASK?

RELH

I've had a few close calls in my job. Once, me and another guy were flicking paper clips at each other in the office. One almost hit me in the eye. Man that was scary!!!

I think being a Moderator here on MM would scare the crap out of me! I would have to completely lose my sense of humor all together, and possibly vote Democrat!!! No offense to the cool ones, you know who you are ;-)

:( Somebody didn't like bouncing betty :(

When I was in my early twenties, I was a bouncer at a bar that had way too many over thirty, under sexed, divorced females. Looking back, it's a wonder I made it to 44!

IA, address, phone numbers, employment applications etc? Looking for a part time job!

RUS

In the late 70's and early 80's I worked on the metal decking on high rises in San Francisco. The high rises were'nt bad at all but the thought of San Francisco still sends chills up my spine!

Ransom

Flight deck of an aircraft carrier. So much crazy stuff going on all at once. Saw a guy get whacked by a broken arresting cable. Towards the end of my career I recovered the body of a guy who misjuged altitude and struck a moutain in NV doing about 600kts. Another 60 feet and he would have made it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom