Scam-ageddon 2011

T

tageater

Well last I left ya'll I was pumped to have come across a $1200 turtle tag for $600. I sent my cash to the guy that said he'd meet me at the trail head....why am I surprised he never showed up, and his cell phone number is No longer in service.

Needless to say I wasn't gonna let a little thief bring me completely down. I still had an elk tag in hand so off I drove(after spending the next 4 hours waiting for and making the proper report for turtle tag fraud) to the elk unit.

I got there late, and really only had time to set up camp, which was as simple as pulling out the sleeping bag. That next morning was an eye opener...or more like a reminder of what I really am, after the generalized "Hunter". I'm a deer hunting fan. I couldn't care less about elk, but I didn't draw an archery deer tag, so "just to be in the woods" I bought the elk tag. I've hunted this area 3 other times, and know its one of the place the deer an elk go when the sheep are being herded in the area.

Anyway back to my first morning: 0 dark 30, I start my hike. My plan is this year, to ambush them on their way back to bedding areas- I'm in the timber, its dark, its DRY, so I'm loud...needless to say I didn't make it all the way down the ridge as far as I would have like. I chose instead to sit quiet and hope they would come across higher in the timber.

After sitting for half an hour it starts getting light, and I can hear sh!t moving below me. To the left/right...I've just got a good feeling about this! Then 20 minutes goes by, and I here branches break to my left...I catch the reddish/grey bodied shape of a critter coming right towarts me...binos up...where is it? I'm hoping for a small cow/calf/spike...(Not in that order). There it is! And there's antler!!!oh crap, there's branches of antler...lots of branches on that buck!!! My adrenaline was high, but the bow got layed down...as I continued to watch a fantastic 7x9 buck cruising uphill towards his bed...that is until he got straight down wind of me. At 35 yards the old buck didn't freakout, he looked, and looked at me, but never saw me. He simply slowly walked straight downhill,downwind, and after 30 more yards I never saw him again.

Half hour after that...a fawn deer tried to run me over. Coming down the hill, not on a trail, doing mach .0003, and at 2 yards, in mid air it does the freakout breakdance, change of direction, and then just continued down hill. Then momma came looking for its stupid azz fawn , sees me and blows out snorting crashing unnecessarily through every blow down, kinda giving my hiding spot away.

I'll update more later...

But I wanted to get at least this much up so noone else falls for the same turtle tag scam I did.

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

Did the turtle jockeys cell number start with the prefix 512?? And his first letter to his name start with R and end in OY?

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-11 AT 10:16PM (MST)[p]CJ- his phone number did start with 512, but he said his name was Alice....and his gig was he had a cancelation, and had to refund 600 to that client, but was only allowed to make 1200 on the sale...I couldn't pass up Alices offer...

I did see some big bull turtle sign, like where one had taken its pre rut frustration out on a nice size pine tree.

5517peu_20110905_91.jpg

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

Tag - just wanted to let you know that the offices here of the WTTTF are working in cooperation with various local, state and federal agencies to track down a pretty potent turtle hunt scamming ring. They are using burned phones originating here in Austin - the 512 area code - but are actually located in Nothern California. They are suspected to be part of the Tortugas Norte?os we reported on earlier this year. Sorry you were gullible enough to fall for their lies. Old Alice must have sounded pretty darn sexy over the phone, or you are just pretty darn desperate. Either way it is a crying shame about the tag.

HOOK 'EM!

hey tag, sorry about the scam, remember when u come to tennessee i guarantee u a tag or u can use mine. locals are allowed 3 turtles a year here. even rans can hit one here

Hey tag, what trail head was the turtle hunt? It wasn't Mill Creek Trail Head was it? Otherwise I may be screwed.

Eel

Eel, it was the Moose Creek/ Sage trailhead...

Guys thanks for the condolences- I'm just a giant idiot for trusting anyone that I don't meet face to face.

I've just lost all faith in humanity, but I'll get it back one of these days. Hopefully before I head out your way Lesgo.

And Roy, glad to know someone is working on the issue, I'll never see a dime returned but if they can stop it from happening to anyone else, I'll be glad!

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom